Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2012, 02:29 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
K1000 long exposure help

For long exposures with my K1000 would i set it on B and hold it down for the desired time? (e.g 30 seconds or 1 minute and so on)

I have only had it for a few days so i'm not really sure what to do haha. Any tips or advice with this would be much appreciated also

01-19-2012, 04:39 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
While that is correct, the best way to do that is with a mechanical remote cable release.
Those screw into the release button and operate similar to a syringe. A metal contact inside will activate the release and mechanically hold it until you release it. There are many different styles but they all operate similarly.

I'm not home now so mine are not accesible for a pic, but found this picture online:

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
01-19-2012, 05:39 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Another useful accessory for the K1000 - since it doesn't have a self timer, is a add on self timer!

01-19-2012, 07:03 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Another useful accessory for the K1000 - since it doesn't have a self timer, is a add on self timer!
That is an interesting timer Where did you get it?

01-20-2012, 01:07 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
While that is correct, the best way to do that is with a mechanical remote cable release.
Oh, to keep the camera steady, are they cheap and easy to find?
01-20-2012, 05:28 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Both are available on the auction site if you search for "camera remote cable release" and "camera self timer".
01-20-2012, 05:38 AM   #7

Original Poster
ok thankyou

01-20-2012, 05:41 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The cable release comes in many flavors. Different lenghts, colors, different ways to lock the pin etc. I've seen them on eBay anywhere from $5 to $20. Not very hard to find.
The mechanical self timer is a bit harder to find and a bit more expensive.
Best of luck!

Thanks,
01-20-2012, 05:46 AM   #9

Original Poster
yeah I like ebay haha I'll try there
01-20-2012, 06:02 AM   #10
Pentaxian

If you bought your K1000 locally then I would think these cables would also be available. It seems every manual camera I've bought came with one. The self timers I have also came from these purchases.
01-20-2012, 06:20 AM   #11
Pentaxian

BTW, there appears to be 3 different ends for self timers as shown in the instructions below. One for the screw types such as used on the K1000 - and most all others, another for Leicas and Nikon F and a third for Rollei. I haven't seen these options on the cables but it would only make sense they are also available with these ends.

01-20-2012, 11:14 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Oh, these are so cool. I shot for ages before I ever even knew they existed, & I found one totally by accident on eBay while browsing misc. lots of stuff. "What? A timer???! They make those?!!"
Had to tweak the thing a little to get the plunger to go down to the right depth.
Tom, if you look around online you may find an "exposure calculator" for long exposures... things which give you examples of lighting situations, & what kind of exposures to use. I have a little cardboard-slide-rule-y type thing called the "Jiffy Exposure Calculator" for night exposures (I assume this is what you're doing?) which I got from my parents; its gotta be 50 years old at least, & gives recommended exposures for different lighting situations. On MY K1000 at least, Mr Light Meter packs it in at twilight, & I've never got round to getting a proper light meter (or learning to use the one that's somewhere in a closet), so I use the Jiffy card & in general it works. I follow the guide & add half a stop for "reciprocity failure"... Tom, don't worry about it too much; look it up sometime when you get the basics figured out
Try long exposures of running water, or if you have a dark sky, get yourself a locking cable release & try an hour's exposure for star trails.
Congrats on your awesome new camera (yes, I'm biased!) & have fun!
01-21-2012, 05:35 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you bought your K1000 locally then I would think these cables would also be available. It seems every manual camera I've bought came with one. The self timers I have also came from these purchases.
I bought my K1000 34 years ago new. I purchased the cable separately later . I had forgotten that a self timer existed for the camera. I don't remember seeing one on ebay when i have looked at camera products. Would be nice to have an inferred release for it that would also fit my P30t
01-21-2012, 09:27 AM   #14
Pentaxian

While your looking, keep an eye out for a Pentax viewfinder magnifier. This will give you a means of ensuring that critical focus is achieved - 2X better.

01-21-2012, 06:38 PM   #15

Original Poster
While your looking, keep an eye out for a Pentax viewfinder magnifier. This will give you a means of ensuring that critical focus is achieved - 2X better.
That looks like an eyepiece for a sniper haha