Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2012, 02:40 PM   #1

Pentax Honeywell Spotmatic 35mm camera with Super-Takumar 55mm 1.8 Lens?

I have recently bought a Pentax Honeywell Spotmatic 35mm camera with Super-Takumar 55mm 1.8 Lens.

I would like to know if I can use a SIGMA ZOOM-K 1:4~5.6 f=70-210mm with this camera body?

I had a K1000 years ago an thought highly of it.

Is the Spotmatic in the same class as far as the quality of pictures are concerned?

Thanks for you time.

01-20-2012, 02:57 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The Spotmatic is easily capable of pictures of as good quality as the K1000. It has the same shutter speed range, same aperture range, and many think the body and lenses are better built than the K1000. The 55 1.8 is an excellent lens. The meter range however will probably not go as low (dim light) as the K1000.
However, the Spotmatic is M42 screw mount, not K-mount (bayonet) like the K1000. I don't know that particular Sigma lens, but since it says "ZOOM-K" I assume it is K mount and won't fit the Spotmatic. Zoom lenses became a fad after the Spotmatic years, so these older cameras do best with single focal-length lenses, not zooms. (Zoom with yout feet...)
01-20-2012, 03:11 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks Tom' it's what I needed to know!
01-20-2012, 03:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Congratulations on the camera!

01-20-2012, 04:57 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

My first camera was a Spotmatic and I loved it. I just acquired that lens in SMC version for current use--now with other bodies... Congrats! You can't go wrong...
01-20-2012, 05:47 PM   #6
Veteran Member

As far as I know I don't think anyone's made a reverse adapter. Unfortunately. But that Spottie is a great camera and it's well worth investing in a couple of M42 lenses to go with if you need to. Plus with an adapter you could use them with a K mount as well. Win Win scenario. Enjoy it. You picked a good one.
01-20-2012, 06:28 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by BearsCamera Quote
I have recently bought a Pentax Honeywell Spotmatic 35mm camera with Super-Takumar 55mm 1.8 Lens.

I would like to know if I can use a SIGMA ZOOM-K 1:4~5.6 f=70-210mm with this camera body?

I had a K1000 years ago an thought highly of it.

Is the Spotmatic in the same class as far as the quality of pictures are concerned?

Thanks for you time.
I carried a Honeywell Spotmatic in Nam for 19 months, and a couple of years after. I've never had a camera banged around and treated so badly as that one, but wet or dry it never failed and the pictures were great (well yeh, sometimes there were spots on the lens, but that just gave the photo more character).
Lots of luck with yours, it is an enjoyable camera.
02-03-2012, 08:42 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Pentax made four zoom lenses for the Spotmatic. All are really good, but somewhat difficult to find. Nice camera.

02-03-2012, 08:57 PM   #9
Pentaxian

You said you had a K1000 at one time. The Spotmatic will feel like an old friend. The K1000 is basically a Spotmatic F, with a bayonet mount, instead of a screw mount. All the controls are in the same place. The size, weight and dimensions are pretty much the same. It uses the same, center-weighted averaging meter, despite its name.

The handling, feel and build quality of the Spotmatic was at least as good, if not better than the K1000. Except at the very end of its life, when the last of the screw mount cameras overlapped with period of the first bayonet cameras, the Spotmatic and its descendents (SP-II and SP-F), were Pentax' top of the line cameras. The K1000, on the other hand, was essentially, their entry level camera, outranked by the K2 and KX.

The only thing you will find different is that the Spotmatic requires the use of the "stop-down" metering technique. Unlike the K1000, the Spotty must stop the lens down to the working aperture to get an accurate meter reading.

The way to do it is to focus and compose the scene with the lens wide open. Push the meter switch on the side of the lens mount up to turn the meter on. Center the needle in the viewfinder, just like you did on the K1000. Push the shutter release. This turns the meter off, as well as releasing the shutter. That's an added benefit; leaving the lens cap off will not deplete the meter battery, the way it will on a K1000.

Many of the screw mount Super Takumar lenses were second to none. They are still better than the average lens made today, and as good as some of today's best.

You can find a PDF copy of the user's guide at the Pentax USA website, Digital Cameras by PENTAX - Waterproof Digital Camera - Digital SLR, under the Support tab.