Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2012, 01:59 AM   #1
Inactive Account

finally,a pentaxian!

Well after months of researching many different dslrs,I choose Pentax.It felt good to be part of a "niche" market.Sure I thought the touch screen technology of other cameras was cool and so was live view and tilting the screen and.....But I purchased a K100d and I'm so happy.For me it was all about the beautiful Pentax lenses.Sure I took the advice to stick with the 18-55mm kit lens while learning and since I'm a rank beginner,I've enjoyed it.
But after 6 months I couldn't help myself and ventured into another lens.I choose the 35mm and at $160,it has been a joy.
Finally I decided to extend the focal length and bought a Tamron 28-105 lens.Man I thought I was getting more and more adventurous and was grasping more photographic technique. But when I tried to use the shutter speed or use the scene modes the camera wouldn't respond.I've only been able to use the exposure compensation dial to change the aperture.What am I doing wrong?I need to find out because now I really want to get another lens of a bit higher order(and price),the Tamron 28-75mm.
To conclude,I am so glad I have a Pentax....and hope I live long enough to get good enough to know how to use Pentax primes.Most sincerely,Gretchen

01-22-2012, 03:18 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome- great to hear you like the brand! Wait till you try one of the new cameras- you'll fall in love!

Make sure you set the aperture ring on the lens to the "A" position. Otherwise, the camera won't know what the aperture and you won't be able to use P/scene modes is. Then, you can use the dial on the back of the camera to electronically control the aperture.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-22-2012, 03:33 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
And Adam,tell me about the new cameras you mentioned.Sincerely,G
01-22-2012, 04:05 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Dear Adam,Thanks so much for responding so quickly.I'll take your advice so I can do some shooting here in Portland,Oregon on a beautiful day.I'm 65 and I must say finding something like photography so late in life is such a joy.My daughter says I am now a nerd because I love reading your forum and everything I can get my hands on about Pentax!Having so much fun.Sincerely,Gretchen

01-22-2012, 10:30 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by penultimate Quote
And Adam,tell me about the new cameras you mentioned.Sincerely,G
Since you like to read about Pentax......... go to Digital SLRs - Pentax Digital Cameras - Pentax Camera Database and Reviews - DSLR, Digital, and Legacy Cameras and check out all of the cameras listed above yours. (mine's actually just below yours, a K10D) (OBTW, There's nothing wrong with using a K100D. Enjoy it and learn)
01-22-2012, 08:09 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Welcome to the world of Pentax and the forums.
This is a great place to learn and grow in photography and Pentax
01-23-2012, 02:36 AM   #7
Veteran Member

You will like the k100d. Mine is a joy to use now you will have the LBA-s. It happens and you can't fight it.
01-23-2012, 12:08 PM   #8

Welcome to the Pentax Family. It will take a bit of time to learn your camera but once you start, you will be get some great results! There are many posts on this site to help you get the most out of your camera.

01-23-2012, 09:27 PM   #9
Pentaxian

The K100D is (still) a great camera. You may want to read the K100D tips and tricks I once compiled.
01-24-2012, 07:10 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JACOBY Quote
Mine is a joy to use now you will have the LBA-s. It happens and you can't fight it.
It looks as if Lba has already set in for Gretchin. My newest lens arrived 2 weeks ago.
02-09-2012, 03:21 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
To everyone that replied to me as a new member-I gotta tell you guys...using a Pentax is the best feeling ever!I spend a lot of time now reading reviews of Pentax lenses and camera bodies.Sometimes I'm lured toward the micro four thirds route because using a small camera to capture street photos is appealing.But I just can't get over the great lens quality that Pentax offers and the sharp contrasts and vivid colors that I get even with my kit lens.
But now I'm going to expose myself as the ultimate newbie photographer.Each time I'm out on the streets of Portland or up in the mountains or fishing on a sun glinted river,I ask myself this question before I press the shutter button-shall I concentrate on aperture,shutter speed,rules of thirds,etc or shall I concentrate on what I am drawn to more?-the unique,singular,sometimes quirky aspect of the scene of life I'm looking at in that split second? My real aim is to tell a story within each photo that will captivate the viewer.But is this the right way?Or should I be technically motivated so that I can truly use these wonderful lenses?Sincerely,Gretchen
02-09-2012, 06:20 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I ask myself this question before I press the shutter button-shall I concentrate on aperture,shutter speed,rules of thirds,etc or shall I concentrate on what I am drawn to more?-the unique,singular,sometimes quirky aspect of the scene of life I'm looking at in that split second? My real aim is to tell a story within each photo that will captivate the viewer.But is this the right way?
Hi, I'm glad that you're having fun with photography. It is indeed a wonderful (But expensive hobby). And I see you asking this question about concentrating about the technical aspects of photography, or concentrate on what you're drawn into. To me photography is about communicating with other people. showing them what you feel. You have to shoot with your heart and not with your mind. Those aperture/shutter/ rules of third etc is just a guide. you have to have your heart find an idea and then the "technical aspects" come in, to guide you how to capture that image. For example. You want to tell a story, focus on that one flower that is different from the rest. or show motion in your pictures then that is where those stuff comes in. But remember you have to shoot with your heart (:
Try reading "Understanding exposure" It is a wonderful guide to those technical aspects that will help you capture what you're drawn into.

And I believe that there's no right way or wrong way into this, there's just your way or your approach to photography, and the more you shoot, the better you'll understand your way and what you like.
02-09-2012, 06:59 PM   #13
Lens Buying Addict

My real aim is to tell a story within each photo that will captivate the viewer.But is this the right way?Or should I be technically motivated so that I can truly use these wonderful lenses?Sincerely,Gretchen
Gretchen: Welcome again and great for you! When I asked the same question some years ago here a mentor gave ne two pieces of advice
  • Shoot at first the way you think the picture should look. Shoot a lot. Read Understanding Exposure (that was good advice) and when you are ready start evaluating your photographs critically and improving your technical skill (technique). But first, shoot.
  • Shoot with the lenses you have, not the lenses you dream about.
And stay in touch with us. We'd like to recognize you as a Pentaxian (though you already are one). And I love it when my children say I am a nerd.

How to Really become a Pentaxian - Forum Usage Guide

19. User Titles

We have several titles for users on the forum, most of which are post-based. Below is a table explaining them all.

Tables don't paste well - sorry

Last edited by monochrome; 02-09-2012 at 07:08 PM.
02-10-2012, 07:17 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't forget you can rent lenses, too. That's a good option for special occasions and to try lenses you're thinking about. I've rented 5 different lenses and eventually bought copies of two. The others I didn't think fit my requirements or budget (like the 60-250 I rented for an airshow).
02-12-2012, 11:18 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Welcome to Pentax, Gretchen! I'm glad to hear you're also having a great time with Pentax, as I do!

the unique,singular,sometimes quirky aspect of the scene of life I'm looking at in that split second?
Well, in my opinion - absolutely yes! Technical stuff are the stuff of learning and is for everyone, but one's vision - is unique. It is yours and only yours. Go for it! Happy shooting!