Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2012, 07:01 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Gear suggestions

Finally got a K-7, I now need a card, tripod and bag. I'll work out which tripod/bag I want but i need some help on the SD cards. What should I go for? Also other than those 3 things, what else do I need?

01-23-2012, 08:18 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks a lot, I hadn't thought about a remote. That's going to be an essential for me
01-23-2012, 08:45 AM   #4
Veteran Member

+1 on Sandisk Extreme SDHC... Used two other types (with some serious issues) before trying these... Won't be using anything else form now on.

01-23-2012, 08:49 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Besides what's been mentioned:

lens pen
Pentax Imagesensor Cleaning Kit O-ICK1
flash
extra batteries
lens hoods
01-23-2012, 09:08 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by olliedell Quote
Finally got a K-7, I now need a card, tripod and bag. I'll work out which tripod/bag I want but i need some help on the SD cards. What should I go for? Also other than those 3 things, what else do I need?
with respect to cards, unless you are going to be shootring at maximum frame rate, don't get hung up on card speed. also don't go out and get a whopping big card,

I use smaller cards on the basis that if one is lost or fails, yoiu don't loose too much data. Better to keep it that way. Cards are cheap

The rocket blower, and remote are good ideas, but also consider the wired remote, and a long extension cord for it.
01-23-2012, 09:19 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I use smaller cards on the basis that if one is lost or fails, yoiu don't loose too much data. Better to keep it that way.
But the potential of losing or that one breaks also gets higher.
If you've one 16GB card which is in your camera all the time then the potential of losing it is really really small compared to 8 x 2gb cards you need to switch several time a day.

So what's the best approach on this, does anyone know?
I don't even know what the failing rate is of a "good" SD card these days...
01-23-2012, 09:49 AM   #8
Pentaxian

The one recommendation I've heard I like was use 4 gb cards, and back them up on DVD's so you always have all the original raw files. When I went to the K20D and the 14Mb files it just became un-manageable Only 170 pictures per card. So now I've gone to 8 GB cards and I've stopped backing up on DVD. I was running out of places to store them all anyway. 300+ pictures per card I can live with. I always want to have a second card in the little case on the camera strap. There's been so many times I've run out of the house for a shot with my card still in the computer, that card on the camera strap has saved my butt numerous times. The thing with a 16GB card, and I find this even with am 8, is most of the time I don't come anywhere used to filling it. And point 2 is, on the occasions when I do fill it, I have a heck of a lot of processing to do. Theoretically it shouldn't make any difference how many cards the images are on, I just find it psychologically easier to deal with if I can do it one card at a time and not to many images on each card. The 300 images on an 8 Gb card pretty much maxes out my attention span. Last summer on a 6 day trip, I actually had to pull the 2 Gb card from elsewhere (my point and shoot's back up card) because I filled the two 8s. Maybe the second 8 bg card (the back up) should be a 16. What harm could it do?

01-23-2012, 10:44 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
If you've one 16GB card which is in your camera all the time then the potential of losing it is really really small compared to 8 x 2gb cards you need to switch several time a day.
I doubt it. From experience:
We had a P&S and before we went on a two week holiday I bought two extra cards (first one as one card would not be enough, second one for emergencies). After three days shooting, the camera told me that there were no images on the card; this was the card that we originally bought with the camera and was never swapped for another one (except for testing the new cards). Took the failing card out and marked it and continued shooting with another one; could recover the photos at home.

In your scenario, I would have lost 3 days photos (or even would not have been able to continue shooting at all depending on the card failure). No thanks you, multiple cards for me.

So what's the best approach on this, does anyone know?
Depends on what you're prepared to loose if it really goes wrong and if you have the option of making backups. I use approx. 8GB (shooting RAW+ on a K5) in a day so 64GB would last me about a week. If the card seriously crashes (no recovery possible) on the last day, I will loose a week worth of photos (if I don't have the backup option). If I however use 8GB cards, I will loose a maximum of a day.

I currently only have two 8GB cards for my K5; if I go on a week holiday (with no option of backup), I prefer to take a 8GB card for each day plus one additional spare. Costs might force me to go for 16GB per two days and positive thinking.

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
There's been so many times I've run out of the house for a shot with my card still in the computer, that card on the camera strap has saved my butt numerous times.
Simple solution: use the cable I have to drag my whole desktop with if I forget that the camera is still hooked up
02-01-2012, 05:22 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
As for cards, I only use and highly recommend Hoodman. They are the only SD/CF card manufactur on the planet with a 0.0% failure rate. Everyone else, including Sandisk, is about 5-7% Buy the best and don't wory about the rest. They also offer free file recovery service.
02-03-2012, 07:08 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I don't even know what the failing rate is of a "good" SD card these days
The cheap one I got as part of my K-x deal lasted 2 months... The cheap one I bought after that lasted about the same... The Sandisk ExtremeIII has been in ever since... I have an unused Sandisk-Ultra (although that may go in a cheap Vivitar video camera) in my bag just in case...
02-03-2012, 10:13 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just don't make the mistake of thinking that you can keep your images on an SD/CF card as a means of long-term storage. These cards were never meant to keep images on them for a "long period of time" - not exactly sure how long is long though. I read that a card kept unused will eventually fail. Sorry, but I recall if the article stated just how long it takes. I don't suppose too many people here would do this, but I've seen others do it.
02-06-2012, 02:21 PM   #13
Forum Member

I use 4gb cards. (Every once in a while "woot.com" has 2 packs of kingston 4gb cards on sale for $5, if I remember correctly.) I have 8 of them in a card wallet. I use 4gb because that is the same size as a dvd. So when/if you fill a card you can archive that card onto a dvd. I rotate through the cards using all of them. I remove the card and download the card to the computer with a card reader/computers SD slot. I do not connect the camera to the computer. I also ALWAYS format a card inside the camera before starting it. I NEVER delete photos, only format at the beginning. I don't exactly know all the reasons, it was just the workflow and safeguards I was taught. All my cards work flawlessly. I have never lost any files.