Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2012, 05:26 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Reviewing shots made in RAW on LCD in B&W / K-X.

I've looked and searched forums, but can't find any info on reviewing images on the LCD in B&W that are shot in RAW mode and whether they will upload in Bridge in color. Any help appreciated.

Adam

01-24-2012, 05:30 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If they're raw files they then should have color info embedded, but I'm not 100% sure.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-24-2012, 05:37 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The cameras shoot in color, period. So if any file is not in color it isn't RAW. But any given program like Bridge might choose to display the B&W preview embedded in the file by the camera instead of converting and displaying the RAW data itself. If it does choose to convert and display the RAW data itself, it might choose to honor the fact that you had B&W selected when shooting, and thus perform a B&W conversion. Or it might not. But no matter what, the RAW file *is* color, because otherwise it wouldn't be RAW.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 01-28-2012 at 02:19 PM.
01-24-2012, 06:01 PM   #4
Veteran Member

It's much, much better to do black and white conversions in post anyway. With PS plugins available like Nik Silver Efex Pro, you can get some really nice results, far beyond a simple desaturation.

01-24-2012, 06:16 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
It's much, much better to do black and white conversions in post anyway. With PS plugins available like Nik Silver Efex Pro, you can get some really nice results, far beyond a simple desaturation.
I do all of my conversions in post. I was just trying to figure out a way to check luminance in camera while shooting to get an idea of what the files would look like while deciding to convert or not.
01-24-2012, 09:07 PM   #6
dms
Site Supporter

In the k20d you can take a photo and record raw plus jpeg, and the jpeg can be processed/displayed in B&W.

If only taken/stored as raw, after the fact you can (in the camera) create a jpeg and then apply B&W "filter" to it. (All in the camera/displayed in camera.) I presume the same is possible in all more recent Pentax dslrs.
01-25-2012, 12:12 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Once you are viewing a picture press the flash mode button (button underneath ok button) than select digital filter. After that just select monochrome. I hope that answers your question.

Last edited by Roob-N-Boots; 01-25-2012 at 12:19 AM.
01-25-2012, 08:14 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks, guys.

01-25-2012, 08:18 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Set the camera up like you were setting to shoot black and white jpg, but leave the file option set for raw. Your file will be raw (with all color info present) but the embedded jpg will be in black and white and will display as such on the rear panel. You'll still be able to do your actual conversions to black and white in post at home.
01-27-2012, 09:50 AM   #10
Veteran Member

The camera doesn't show the RAW file but the JPG preview inside the RAW file.
The JPG settings and other settings are applied to that preview, like B&W but also other filters.