Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2012, 02:45 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Fast zoom quest

Here's the deal: I'm trying to assemble a collection of Pentax-related gear, mostly for inside shots, theatre and sport photography (wildlife comes later). I'd like user input on my options, with regards to the quoted price.

Pentax 50-135 (1000) OR Sigma 50-150 HSM (650) OR Tamron 70-200 (600)

From what I've gathered the lenses are mostly on par by IQ, but the Sig focuses faster (slight ff though) and isn't really any longer than the Pentax. The Tammy seems to be some 50% heavier than the other two, focus is as with Pen. but louder.

Am I missing anything? I've read the Pen vs Sig thread and many others but would like opinion according to my prices.

PS will also be getting a T to K adapter and db-g4 but that's another story.

Many thanks in advance.

01-25-2012, 03:02 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
not on your list is a tamron 70-200/2.8

I have used one for years (mine is the APO 70-200F2.8 EX Non DG Non Macro version that came out in about 2002)

screw drive did not bother me and I did a lot of shots at ISO 3200 and F2.8 to give you a feel for the lack of lighting.

Focusing was fine under stage lighting, even with my *istD (newer bodies focus faster / better in low light) so that was not a limiting factor.

the main decisions you need to make are

which focal length 50-135/150 or 70-200 best suits your present show needs. I have been in small dance auditoriums where 70mm is a little long even in the back row, but in large auditoriums, you may want the extra reach.

Figure that out first.

For wild life, I use the sigma 1.4x and 2x TCs, as my lens is screw drive I am ok with the sigma screw drive TCs, they have not released yet a pentax AF-HSM TC.

You will need to decide if this lens is also your wild life lens, in which case 70-200 is better, or only a indoor plus portrait lens
01-25-2012, 03:09 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Did you mean Sigma 70-200? I don't want to buy used yet, and none of our retailers stock the non-os version. That's the whole point of my "migration", the os version costs 1300€ and I don't wand to spend money on something I wouldn't need.
01-25-2012, 03:11 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
PS On second thought 50mm seems perfect for what I'd need in the wide end, based on experience with my kit lens...

01-25-2012, 03:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
Here's the deal: I'm trying to assemble a collection of Pentax-related gear, mostly for inside shots, theatre and sport photography
From what I've gathered the lenses are mostly on par by IQ, but the Sig focuses faster
With left an right action across the frame, AF speed really isn't going to matter - depending on the focal length of the lens, AF speed may not matter at all. You still need to take into account subject isolation which is overlooked soooooooooooooo much in sports photog.

What sport will you be shooting?
01-25-2012, 03:58 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Did you mean Sigma 70-200? I don't want to buy used yet, and none of our retailers stock the non-os version. That's the whole point of my "migration", the os version costs 1300 and I don't wand to spend money on something I wouldn't need.
Actually any 70-200. The issue is focal length range. Only you can consider the range you think you need. If for the odd occasion, you can use a fast 50, a 70-200 might have more use. How far away will you be shooting
01-25-2012, 06:24 PM   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Giklab,

It seems you technical assessment of the lenses is accurate.

Do you clearer outline of the technical aspects of the shooting you will be doing? It always makes questions easier to answer it more information is given. But given that you feel 50mm is best, go for it.

Personally I have a 50-135 and shoot dance, acrobatics etc. For me the AF is irrelevant as the K5 doesn't focus well in the low light levels I typically shoot in, so I manual focus. I would prefer a zippier focus speed, when I can AF in better light levels. I don't use the 50-135 as often as shorter lenses, but that is due to the physical size of the venues I'm working in.
Most of my images are published on-screen and lots of cropping can happen, so I shoot wider and crop in post.
Due to the nature of the universe, and the fact that I have one body, most gigs I shoot would benefit from a wide and a long shot, so that's where two bodies would come in handy...if I was to ever make the cost back.

T
01-25-2012, 11:22 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Sorry for mot answering with this at the start: There is a wchool play which needs a 50mm for the whole stage and 300mm for a body shot if I'm above the stage. I don't like shooting around the seats, though I have that covered with the kit zoom.
I'm able to get 1/50 shutter at f/ 5.6 at ISO 3200, so the K-5 shouldn't have a problem with that. I've tried out the focal lengths on my current lenses and if I'm not at 300mm I'm usually at 70mm so that's why I'm concentrating on the 50-1something range.
There is also indoor volleyball and a friend's concerts on the official side, and random interior shooting (museums etc.).
If anybody needs to know, my budget is around 2000€, but please note that I'm upgrading so the K-5 and a fast lens are a must.

01-26-2012, 01:37 PM   #9
Veteran Member

theatre
SDM is silent... I work in arts and theatre and unless I'm shooting as the only audience member I manually focus as screwdrive noise affects the viewing experience of other theatre goers...

DA*50-135 would be my choice unless you need longer...
01-26-2012, 02:56 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
DA*50-135 would be my choice unless you need longer...
Also my choice... FYR: Unlike a bunch of pentax lenses, the 50~135 has the added benefit of the focus switch on the lens itself - switching this to MF tells the camera body that the attached lens is a manual focus lens (even though it is AF the body will think it is an MF lens) and thus allows you to use CIF (catch in focus) with it without any modifications...