Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2012, 08:45 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
@Rico You are SO addicted
You mean, ADRENALIZED! But not so much lately. Why, I've only bought 2 lenses this year so far, total cost under US$40. A nice little lightweight Vivitar 28/2.8 (maker unknown) and a tiny Enna Sandmar 35/4.5 that I adapted to PK as part of my ultralight minikit. I may have just bought a Tamron 28-90 for US$20 but the seller isn't answering emails so feh! But only three in a month? I used to grab that many (or more) per week. I'm slowing down, argh...

01-26-2012, 09:06 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wish I had a job that could afford an LBA like that!

Anyways, from the perspective of another new DSLR user;

I got my K-r for Christmas and purchased the 18-55/55-300 set. I also just bought a Super-Takumar 55/1.8, but haven't had too much time to play around with it just yet due to school work, but from the few shots I have taken with it (after getting used to that wide open of an aperture), I love it! I agree with what most have said here about getting a 50mm and learning from there. There are several cheap 50s out there that you could pick up and play around with.

After having taken about 1500-2000 pictures with my 18-55 and 55-300 I ran a program called ExposurePlot (recommended to me by someone on these forums) and it logs every focal length each picture was taken with. I noticed most of my shots were at about 24mm, 51.5mm, around 135, and then 300. I just bought the 55mm prime for portrait work, and am hoping to add a D-FA 100/2.8 WR macro lens sometime.

Being a poor college student myself, I feel ya on the need for cheap, solid lenses. The 50mm takumar variants are pretty good from what I've heard, but as mentioned before I only have experienced with the 55mm/1.8. The Pentax-M 50/1.4 or 1.7 can be picked up for under $100 if I recall correctly. If you aren't opposed to a zoom lens, the DA-L 18-55 can be had for pretty cheap as well, around $40-60 (correct me, Rico, If I'm wrong on these prices please!) and, especially for a kit lens, can provide very solid images. There's a kit lens thread, found here, which can attest to the quality of the lens, especially for the price.The DA-L 55-300 is a bit more expensive, but can be useful for finding out what focal lengths you use at the longer end. I like my 55-300 more than the 18-55. The IQ for a kit lens is great!

Cheap primes that I know of, and some are ones that Rico has recommended to me before, include any of the SMC/Super-Tak 50mm variants, and the Helios 44-2 58mm/2. If you do want to spend upwards of $200, I just saw an FA50/1.4 on the marketplace for $200 even, here.
01-26-2012, 10:42 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Your best answer is a Pentax A 50mm 1.7 (or even 2.0 - cheaper & way more common). You should be able to pick up a 1.7 for less than $100.00 (I got mine for $85).
The "A" lens will give you the ability to use all of the modern K5 features (except autofocus), so you will be able to learn the body well.
All the best, and have fun learning.
01-26-2012, 02:01 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jbuck92 Quote
Wish I had a job that could afford an LBA like that!
Job? What job? I'm beyond employment and have no discretionary income. If I want to buy something, I must sell something first. That's how I became a gear trader on eBay. My current count of ~220 lenses doesn't include the ~110 others that I sold. I now have 45 camera bodies, but sold another 30. Profit margin is right around 100%, which sure helps pay for the keepers.

QuoteQuote:
Being a poor college student myself, I feel ya on the need for cheap, solid lenses. The 50mm takumar variants are pretty good from what I've heard, but as mentioned before I only have experienced with the 55mm/1.8. The Pentax-M 50/1.4 or 1.7 can be picked up for under $100 if I recall correctly. If you aren't opposed to a zoom lens, the DA-L 18-55 can be had for pretty cheap as well, around $40-60 (correct me, Rico, If I'm wrong on these prices please!) and, especially for a kit lens, can provide very solid images.
Those prices sound right. For the current reality, check COMPLETED LISTINGS on eBay.

Meanwhile, anyone interested in a Fairly Fast Fifty (cheap!) should consider the SuperTak 55/2. It is EXACTLY the same lens as the 55/1.8 except that the aperture won't open quite as wide. (It was meant to be a 'budget' lens.) I've seen 55/1.8s sell for over US$50 and 55/2s NOT sell for US$15. The SuperTak 55/2 is THE best optics deal. Next best are Sears primes, either in M42 screwmount or PK bayonet. The Sears PK 50s are by Chinon and are very good. The Sears M42 Fifties include a classic 55/1.4 by Tomioka (also branded as Mamiya or Porst or Yashica), and I think my 28-35-135/2.8s are by Tomioka also. Other very good budget Fifties include the Rikenon 50/2 and 55/1.8, the Petri CC 55/1.8, Meyer Oreston (or Pentacon Electric) 50/1.8, many more. It's hard to find a bad Fifty. And yes, the 18-55 (any version but newer is better) is a steal of a deal.

QuoteQuote:
Cheap primes that I know of, and some are ones that Rico has recommended to me before, include any of the SMC/Super-Tak 50mm variants, and the Helios 44-2 58mm/2. If you do want to spend upwards of $200, I just saw an FA50/1.4 on the marketplace for $200 even, here.
And THAT is a steal of a deal and should be grabbed immediately!

QuoteOriginally posted by calicojack Quote
The "A" lens will give you the ability to use all of the modern K5 features (except autofocus), so you will be able to learn the body well.
All the best, and have fun learning.
A-type lenses are the simplest to use and most flexible of all manual lenses for our Pentax dSLRs. Thus they also demand premium prices, often by a factor of 2 or more. I'm a cheap bastard so I only have a few A-types and most aren't by Pentax. They're Tokina, Promaster-Tamron, Sears-Samyang, Focal-Ricoh, Toyo-Sun -- and half have the Ricoh nub or pin, easily dealt with. KARs are the most cost-effective. Alas, they're not Pentax optics. What a pickle...

01-26-2012, 07:35 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I have a whole stable of cheap lenses, mostly manual focus, one which is supposed to be quite good (M50 1.7). Problem is, my hit rate with manual focus is lousy, maybe 1 out of 3 (I shoot with a Kx). I've pretty much decided that I can't make manual work for me. I never had that problem with my K1000 a lot of years ago. Maybe it's my eyes. Maybe it's the viewfinder. I don't know, but I got tired of worrying about it. So I checked the reviews here and decided to buy a new DA 35 2.4 for $170, and to my poor eyes it's super sharp. I'm not a big fan of the FL, but for less than $200 it could be the best money you've ever spent. It was for me. I don't know how sharp a * or Limited could get, but this lens is a really nice introduction to sharp, auto-focus lenses (on a budget).
01-27-2012, 12:15 AM   #21
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments everyone.

Well, i've been deal hunting every moment I can but i'm really in a pickle because whenever I see something i'm not sure if it's better deal than something else because all the different brands/features each lens has.
It's also quite difficult finding a seller that will ship to New Zealand and also at a reasonable rate (I actually find quite a bit of the time the shipping can be more than the lens, like a $40 lens that will cost $70USD to ship over here)

But I feel like i'm pretty set on getting a ~50mm prime so I guess that's something

So far I feel like i'm leaning towards wanting to find a pentax-a 50mm 1.4/1.7 and I will definitely grab one if I find one at a good price but i've also noticed something like the Helios-44 58/2 go for really cheap compared to everything else ($15-20 + usually only $15 shipping on ebay) but I do realize that I would need to buy a mount on top of that.

Thanks everyone,
Damon.
01-27-2012, 11:58 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mookster Quote
The next items on my list are a shorter, fast normal prime; I am looking at the Sigma 30 mm f1.4. And maybe a long macro like the Tamron 90 mm, if I can find one at a bargain-hunter price.
Both of those are superb lenses ... the 30/1.4 especially so as it is so versatile and incredibly sharp.

OP. The 35/2.4 is an incredible bargain and you would still be able to add a 50/1.7 and the kit lens 18-55 WR for around your $200 max budget. That's a great little kit to get you going .... then add a used DAL 55-300 for about a US$100+ when funds allow to give you : 18-300 / a WR lens / 2 primes / one low light lens / 2 AF and 2 MF. An excellent starter kit.

01-27-2012, 12:05 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damon Quote
So far I feel like i'm leaning towards wanting to find a pentax-a 50mm 1.4/1.7 and I will definitely grab one if I find one at a good price but i've also noticed something like the Helios-44 58/2 go for really cheap compared to everything else ($15-20 + usually only $15 shipping on ebay) but I do realize that I would need to buy a mount on top of that.
The Helios is a great lens with a deservedly excellent reputation and a cult following for it's quirky, lovely, bokeh ! A fine substitute for a 50/1.7 on cost alone.
01-27-2012, 12:25 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Or you can get The following
M50 1.4 for 50 bucks / M50 1.7 for $30 (I like the M's they're my favorite, for cheap and well built)
get the "raved" DA 35mm 2.4 $160 (Has AF)
and get an M28 3.5 for $50 (Just because)
and get the heavy but sharp FA 28 - 105 (here's the review SMC-Pentax FA 28-105mm F4-5.6 Reviews - FA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database)

but you can never go wrong with the 50 1.7 (that's my favorite cheap lens)
01-27-2012, 01:53 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@kaiserz: where can you get the DA 35mm 2.4 for $160??
01-27-2012, 02:48 PM   #26
Veteran Member

@hman amazon, I got mine for 180 lens + a UV filter and a lens cleaning kit. And there was a $160 option if I'm not mistaken, unless they changed the price again.
01-27-2012, 10:20 PM   #27
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for all the responses guys!

So far I have purchased a Helios-44 58/2 (the price was great and it seemed to be in really good condition) and also a M42 to Pentax K adapter (It was brass and said it allowed focus to infinity so I hope it's okay) and a Sigma 70-210 with AF (I wasn't intending to get this but saw it locally for $15 and it was in good condition so I though why not for the time being).
I also found a Soligor 135mm f3.5 in my family home which looks like it has hardly been used but from some research it's T4 mount so I don't think I can even use this? I'm not sure.

Anyway so for now my last purchase to start off my lens collect I was hoping for either a 28/35mm prime or maybe a zoom in the same area (possibly just a kit lens?) I'm not sure.

Regards,
Damon.
01-28-2012, 04:34 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damon Quote
Thanks for all the responses guys!

So far I have purchased a Helios-44 58/2 (the price was great and it seemed to be in really good condition) and also a M42 to Pentax K adapter (It was brass and said it allowed focus to infinity so I hope it's okay) and a Sigma 70-210 with AF (I wasn't intending to get this but saw it locally for $15 and it was in good condition so I though why not for the time being).
I also found a Soligor 135mm f3.5 in my family home which looks like it has hardly been used but from some research it's T4 mount so I don't think I can even use this? I'm not sure.

Anyway so for now my last purchase to start off my lens collect I was hoping for either a 28/35mm prime or maybe a zoom in the same area (possibly just a kit lens?) I'm not sure.

Regards,
Damon.
Damon - pick up the $50 18-55 WR kit lens (used - but it should be brand new as many people buy the kit and then just sell off the lens). A very good little lens to get you started (I bought one just for the WR - LoL) and you'll soon find out which FLs you prefer and can take it from there.