Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2012, 07:50 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by anthers Quote
If I was taking pictures for a living I would agree with you, but when I'm traveling for pleasure being neurotic about my gear just gets in the way of having a good time. (I don't travel just to take pictures.) I think it's reasonable to back up the photos to a laptop or online service, but once you do that there isn't much point in carrying multiple cards with you - the flash card is just temporary storage until you can get the photos to a more secure location. At that point, having more cards means more things to lose, more changing cards in the middle of the street, more opportunities for dust to get in the camera, etc.

If you don't back up the photos, I suppose carrying 4 cards around is marginally better than one, but again if you want to cover your bases you should just back up all the photos nightly. If you don't, then you're still out all the photos on whatever card you lost.
Sorry but even though you have repeated yourself it still doesn't make any more sense and it's really not good advice for a newbie on a holiday of a lifetime. At the risk of my repeating myself (and there's nothing marginal about it) : Card failure or losing your camera (theft, loss, damage - by water, sun and so on.) etc. can and does happen and if all your photos are on one card then say goodbye to hard copies of your memories (how often do you see people say they had their camera stolen but are not so worried about that as losing the card with their irreplaceable photos and memories on it). So thousands of $$ spent on your holiday against a few dollars per card (and you can't trust yourself to put the spares away somewhere secure) ?

And goodness me, it's just paranoid to worry about dust when changing cards - you can't cover the camera for 2 secs to change a card ? You can do that without even seeing what you doing - under your clothing - if you're that worried about it.

01-29-2012, 07:54 PM   #32
Pentaxian

For my next holiday this is coming away with me HyperDrive COLORSPACE UDMA (casing only)

I think whatever your size of cards, something like this (or a netbook or similair) is valuable for your "image security". This is one reason why I wish the K-5 had dual slots so I could record an image on 2 cards at once, it's no gimic.
01-29-2012, 08:15 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
For my next holiday this is coming away with me HyperDrive COLORSPACE UDMA (casing only)

I think whatever your size of cards, something like this (or a netbook or similair) is valuable for your "image security". This is one reason why I wish the K-5 had dual slots so I could record an image on 2 cards at once, it's no gimic.
+1 to that !

edit. Just checked out your link. Love that ! Very pricy though as that doesn't include the HD which you have to buy separately (or have I read that wrong - it says 'Casing Only') ?
01-29-2012, 08:40 PM   #34
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On the issue of storage....I have purchased cards that were duds...should have known better, grabbed a pair of 32g Kingstons off ebay at a price too good to be true ....and it was.
They were cards I had intended taking with me on a trip but fortuneatley tested them before leaving and discovered that things weren't quite happening as they should.

I now have a selection 4, 8 & 16 g cards, and frankly, at the current prices in Walmart why wouldn't you.?

Cheers
Grant