Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2012, 10:56 AM   #1

Travel advice

Planning a 30 day trip to Europe later this year. My gear includes my K20D, 18-55 kit lens, M28 2.8, M50 1.4, 28-80 macro and a 70-210. Should I just pack it all into my sling bag and leave the unused lenses back in my hotel or leave anything behind before I go overseas?

Also, any recommendations for storage? I'm leaning towards a couple of 16gb cards, and shooting in jpg only, and hitting the raw button for anything that I might want to play with when I get back.

01-27-2012, 11:25 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I was faced with a similar problem a few years ago when I went to New Zealand. I resolved it by buying a bridge camera! Why? No messing about with lenses, smaller, lighter, had video. I reasoned that I was going there to look at the country and enjoy the trip, not to be weighed down with a camera bag. Worked out fine, although at the time the camera I bought wouldn't do RAW.

As to cards, lots of small ones, on the 'eggs in one basket' principle. I also backed up all shots to a small photo storage device, and also to a laptop I bought out there. Why? Regarded the trip as a 'once in a lifetime' and didn't want to lose anything.
01-27-2012, 11:30 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Leave the 18-55, 28, 50 and 70-210. Rent, buy or borrow a 12-24 and take that with the 28-80. Don't know the IQ of the 28-80.

I would shoot all raw. I use a 10" netbook for backup and storage while on trips.
01-27-2012, 11:36 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I can't imagine any point in bring all three of those zooms with you. I'd leave the 28-80 home, on the assumption you'll always want the 18mm available. I doubt the "macro" capability of the 28-80 is anything you would need or couldn't duplicate just as well with just a diopter filter on one of the other lenses. If I wanted to travel light, I'd skip either the 28 or 50 as well. I'd be more inclined to take the 28, as 50 is just too long in most of the situations where you might want the speed, and really there is hardly anything worth shooting that can't be done at f/2.8 and ISO 1600, when using a 28mm lens.

01-27-2012, 12:22 PM   #5
REM
Forum Member

Lenses: go with the 18-55, the M50 and maybe the 70-210. The M50 I would take as it seems to be the fastest lens you got and would come in handy for any low light or shallow dof situations. I went to Spain last year and only took a 18-55 and 55-300. Only took a handful of shots with the telephoto lens. For Europe/travel, most people want wide. A large percentage of my shots were 18mm and i wanted to go wider (just bought a 15mm ltd for next trip).

Personally, do not leave anything of value in your hotel rooms. They get broken into as well, or stolen from hotel staff. If you are not going to use/carry it, take it to the front desk and have them store it in the "main" hotel safe.

If you shoot RAW, keep shooting RAW. Memory cards are not expensive nowadays, and usually there are sales were you buy x, get 1 free or get a rebate back, etc. I have mostly 4 and 8 GB cards, I would recommend going with a few 8 GB rather than relying on a couple of 16s (unless you have multiple 16s already). I rotate cards every day even if it is not full yet. Bring a portable hard drive if you want just in case for more storage and use it at an internet cafe.
01-27-2012, 01:02 PM   #6
Veteran Member

You'll need the 18mm of the kit lens for sure, something wider would be preferable if you can find the funds. A used 16-45 would be a pretty good option for under $250. The fast 50 will also be of some use as well, but beyond that there isn't much reason to bring any other lenses. As has been said, for travel in Europe you're generally going to want wide. When we went to Italy last year I took the WR version of the kit lens (which came in handy several days), along with the 15mm, 43mm and 70mm limited lenses. about 80% of the 3000 photos I took were with the 15mm lens. The 43mm came in handy at night or at dinner, the 18-55mm wr version on a couple of rainy days, and I took less than 100 photos with the 70mm.
01-27-2012, 01:18 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My two bobs worth.

I have done a number of international trips, so allow me to make a couple of observations gained from experience, you may also want to check out my Travel Tips page at SCENIC RIM PHOTOGRAPHY - PHOTOGRAPHERS - BOONAH - IPSWICH - BEAUDESERT
Is the trip a holiday and are you travelling with others? if the answer is yes, then I would highly reccommend either buying a bridge camera as already suggested or the Tamron 18 -270 lens. Why?....because others travelling with you will soon tire of your photography if they do not share the passion, stopping to change lenses is a sure fire way of testing friendships.

Another factor to consider is crowds, changeing lenses in crowded places is not reccomended, yes it can, and is done, but it does draw attention and sometimes attention you do not want.

HOWEVER, if your trip is predominately photographic then carry everything you can reasonably fit in The best trips I have ever done have been photo workshops where you are travelling with like minded people.

My next trip will be with friends and through a lot of cities and crowded places....in Europe....so I will be adding a Tamron 18-270 to my bag, along with my EX DG 24 f 1.8 (good for indoor lowlight where flash is not allowed) and maybe the FA 43. Although the new compact from Pentax looks attractive and if its image quality is any good that could be an option, certainly a lot easier to carry.

Give it some thought, your trip is important to you....and those travelling with you.
Agree with your thoughts on storage, SD cards are cheap.

APOLOGY: wrong info....the Tamron 18-270 is NOT available ina Pentax mount....I looked at it with a friend who wanted one for her Canon....so I assumed it was available in Pentax, and went looking for one myself just now. The 18-250 is available in Pentax mount as stated by HCC below.

Last edited by Mallee Boy; 01-27-2012 at 03:54 PM.
01-27-2012, 01:41 PM   #8
hcc
Pentaxian

Similarly, I travel intenationally several times a year with my K-7. The ideal lens is the Tamron/DA18-250mm. It covers all the most relevant focal lengths. The only weakness of the lens (combined with K-7) is the low light, and I take a fast prime (VL 58mm f1.4) in my pocket, used mainly during dusk and dawn situations.

I am going agin next week to Europe and New Zeland in fact. And I intend to travel with the K-7, DA18-250mm and VL58mm f1.4.

The Tamron/DA18-250mm is no onger manufactured, but you can buy it 2nd hand quite easilly from reputed stores (KEH, Adorama) and from the Pentax Forum Marketplace. It costs between $350 to $450 plus shipping for a good copy. If you buy the Tamron version, makes sure that you buy the Pentax K-mount.

Hope that the comment may help.
01-27-2012, 02:09 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I'm gonna go for a different tact to every one...

Take the 50 & the 28 and leave everything else...

Enjoy those 2 lenses and the fact that your bag and camera will be nice and light...
01-27-2012, 02:36 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Wide is where its at when you're visiting "historic" locations. If it were me I'd take 3 lenses - my 10-24, my FA50/1.4, and I'd either take the 18-135WR or buy an 18-250. Why? 10-24 for lots of buildings and location shots. Fast50 for times when you just have to have f2.8 of less. And the last - well, used depending on whether we were going to do any wildlife or sports events on the trip it would be the 18-250 if yes, and if no then the 135 should be plenty long enough. Since your K20D is weather sealed the 18-135 would have an edge for me if it were to be rainy season or it's going to be the UK
01-27-2012, 04:30 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gcoello Quote
Planning a 30 day trip to Europe later this year. My gear includes my K20D, 18-55 kit lens, M28 2.8, M50 1.4, 28-80 macro and a 70-210. Should I just pack it all into my sling bag and leave the unused lenses back in my hotel or leave anything behind before I go overseas?

Also, any recommendations for storage? I'm leaning towards a couple of 16gb cards, and shooting in jpg only, and hitting the raw button for anything that I might want to play with when I get back.
I would take more smaller cards, if you drop one you loose less. a 16 gig card is somewhat like putting all your eggs in one basket.

as for leaving stuff in a hotel, my approach would be yes if it is a reputable hotel or has a safe, no if it is a cheap flee bag.

carrying all your kit can be tiring. I generally tend to leave some stuff behind, and only take what I think I need. If city bound, I take 2 lenses 2 bodies, and just swap cameras. My normal load is a sigma 10-20 on one body, tamron 28-75 on the other. I have a small shoulder bag that can hold a body and a couple of smaller lenses if I want to take more. one camera is always in hand, so I don't woprry about putting both in the bag.

you mught want an ultra wide, and if on budget the samyang 14mmF2.8 is a good way to go
01-27-2012, 05:26 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I would guess that most hotels should have a safe...all 4 places we stayed in Italy had either a safe with a key or a keypad that you personally set the pin on. I really appreciated having them as I could comfortably leave my netbook, a couple of lenses and some other personal items there while out during the day.
01-27-2012, 06:10 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gcoello Quote

I wouldn't take all of them as it would be overkill and heavy as for leaving the items in the room I would not be comfortable with that. I would take the it lens with the m50 and maybe the 70-210. I know when I went on my vacation I took my 70-300 with me and it was only used twice and definitely not worth the extra weight.
01-27-2012, 06:41 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by epqwerty Quote
snip.....as for leaving the items in the room I would not be comfortable with that.
It reallyu depends on where you stay. I have never had an issue in france or even in better hotels in eastern europe. BUT.... maybe i was just lucky

If you want to feel more secure, then look at a modified use of a laptop security cable and tie a pellican case to something in the room with the cable and use the lock to lock the case also. I have considered this seriously, since it would stop a casual thief.
01-28-2012, 06:28 AM   #15
Inactive Account

If this is a vacation trip, I suggest go light. When I took my three week trip I took my K10D, a Sigma 17-70 and a Tamron 1.4 multiplier. (Spare battery and charger of course) It all fit into one holster bag. I took about 8 2gb cards and shot almost exclusively in jpg. It worked fine. Looking back, I could have done without the 1.4X.
Of course if this is strictly a once in a lifetime "PHOTO" trip, take the best of everything you've got.
Have fun!!!!