Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2012, 12:38 AM   #16

Original Poster
You guys are the best! I feel so welcome to this board and all the advice is super helpful! I'll look into picking up the 55-300 before we leave. Thank you for the whale watching tips too! I'll get a waterproof covering bag for it, I've seen them on Amazon. I do want a prime as well, but that's a little down the line once me and the camera get acquainted and I recover from vacation spending!

We're going on a weeklong Disney cruise to Mexico, so I think it's the perfect time to get to know my new camera. I'll have hub with the point and shoot of course so we don't miss anything spontaneous, lol.

As for the color, well, it really IS important to me. I've had pink/black hair for the past 6 years, I collect various pink items, heck my car and house would be pink if it could be LOL.. Definitely not barbie pink though, more of the black/hot pink variety, Rofl.. Ok, I know this isn't the most important thing, BUT, if I can get a great camera in a color, might as well, right! And as someone pointed out, it sure won't be mistaken for a Canikon!

Have a great rest of your weekend everyone, I look forward to seeing you all around the forums!

01-29-2012, 01:02 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery
Enjoy your camera and do what your feel is right. As for your choice of pink, at least the Pentax is available like this. Unlike what you need to do with other brands, as shown in these videos from the crazy DigitalRev crew.

01-29-2012, 03:03 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Pink Yaris

Here in Oz, Toyota sell a pink Yaris that looks like a nail polish. Not real popular but enough of them around to know it's not a one off custom job.
01-29-2012, 03:18 AM   #19
JFN
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I bought a black K-r some month ago and replaced the 18-55mm kit lens with the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 already a week after i got it, and I am really happy with that combo. Some days ago I just got me a Pentax-A 50mm f/2 (MF) which I am so far quite impressed by!

01-29-2012, 07:37 AM   #20
Veteran Member

The Kr is a great camera and you should not be discouraged just because it is discontinued. The entry level model for Pentax has always had a 1 year run before it gets replaced but I think this year it is extremely surprising because nothing has been announced to replace it. I would guess that this has something to do with the flood in the asia countries. Pentax has always had a constant design for all their models and in my opinion is very good. The button layout and location of options are nice and easy to find. As for outdated technology, Pentax cameras has always had more features then the competition in terms of the entry level designs so I wouldn't be too worried. Also cameras come and go so quickly that your be poor if you upgraded every time the latest and greatest came out.

As for a lens to start with it really depends on what you are going to be shooting. In my opinion for a beginner I'd first get the 55-300 or a 50-200 if budget is really an issue. This will give you lots of focal lengths to work with. From there you can narrow it down to what focal lengths are most commonly used for you. You might find that you use 70 a lot or 105. but never anything past that. This will help narrow down what your next purchase will be.
01-29-2012, 08:31 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Yet another vote for the 55-300 (note there are two versions - if all you need is an AF lens to get to 300mm then the DAL version will do, but I'd buy the DA 55-300 instead). The Tamron 17-50 (which I own) is a much better lens that the kit 18-55 (which I also own) but it's not WR (neither is your Kr !) though to get you going I'd say the kit lens is more than good enough.

The Kr is a better camera than the Kx (which it replaced). Higher ISO capability (12,800 to 6,400) higher ISO boost (25,600 to 12,800), faster fps (6 to 4.7), much better screen (3" to 2.7" and 920k to 230k), virtually identical noise levels and the Kr has 11 visible focus points which the Kx lacks (it has them but they are not visible other than the centre point) and an improved AF system. Simply put Pentax would not replace a camera (the Kr for all intensive purposes replaced the Kx) with an inferior model - no camera brand would (though there may occasionally be debate) !
01-29-2012, 08:40 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The 55-300mm has better IQ than any 18-250mm superzoom. I gave my Pentax DA 18-250 to my wife because it disappointed me once too often in difficult shooting conditions.