Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2012, 02:40 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
As a more basic general question when you walk out the door with a camera and no specific goal in mind, how do you decide what should be on the camera and what should be in the bag if you even bring a bag
Pick a 'lens of the day' (an idea I stole from a well-known forum member) and don't take any other lens with... I've done this a couple of times with the K-x and FA28 or FA50... More recently been going with MZ-7 and FA50, no bag just 2 spare rolls of film...

01-30-2012, 02:53 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You have an excellent pair of lenses!. Of course your zoom covers 50mm so the main reasons for using the 50/1.4 are when you want the extra speed, when you want the best image quality (IQ) you can get at that focal length, and/or when you want something a little smaller and lighter on the camera.

Lots of photogs have too much gear (guilty as charged). If the lenses you have are covering your needs, there's no reason to buy more. On the other hand, if you find yourself shooting at the ends of your zoom's range and wishing you could go further, there's a cue you might consider adding a lens or two. How about flash?

Walking out the door with a camera but no specific goal: surely you must have some idea of where you intend to go, what you're likely to come across, and what kinds of image interest you. With only two lenses the choice won't be difficult! (The perfect shot never does just cross your path, although occasionally a very good shot will.) Your zoom is a good walkaround choice although better suited for "full frame" (i.e., 35mm film or a sensor of the same size), where it goes from moderately wide to short tele.
01-30-2012, 03:09 PM   #18
Pentaxian

The only time I use zooms is if I'm taking photos at a "can't miss a shot" kind of event/situation (eg trip of a lifetime, my kids birthday party), or I'm at the beach and want a weather sealed package (my K-5 & DA* zoom).

I've got tens of thousands of photos on my computer, so I don't sweat it when I see a good shot I could have got if only I had a zoom on my camera. There are huge number of photo opps every second of the day, no zoom is going to help you get all of them.

So having a lot of photos already means I now want quality not quantity, and that's where primes come in I usually just pick 1 or 2 primes from my "big bag" to put into my "small bag" with a camera or 2 and I'm good to go. I usually pick 2 focal lengths about 100% apart or so, and choose them based on what I'm going to shoot.
01-30-2012, 04:09 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Most of the time I spend more time rearranging the contents of the bags than I do actually taking one of the bags out.
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
my Precious

Well I'm not quite THAT bad. I've only seen the SMC Pentax K-One-Ring Gold once in my life and never had even a shot at buying one.

Last edited by monochrome; 01-31-2012 at 07:20 AM.
01-30-2012, 08:24 PM   #20
Pentaxian

As a more basic general question when you walk out the door with a camera and no specific goal in mind, how do you decide what should be on the camera and what should be in the bag if you even bring a bag, and would you even have time to change lenses if the perfect shot suddenly crossed your path?
I have to admit I don't actually ever go out with no specific goal in mind; and if you have an idea of what you're trying to get ahead of time, you're much less likely to be caught with the wrong lens when the "perfect" shot crosses one path, since that will be the shot you're actually pursing. It seems to me that if you're just going to walk out the door with nothing in mind at all and hope the perfect shot is going to serendipitously cross your path, you'd probably be better off with a lens with a long focal length, like the DA 18-135 or DA 18-250, so you'll be ready. Of course, there's no guarantee even with those lenses. What if the perfect shot requires narrow DOF or low light performance? There's no guarantees one way or the other. If I miss a shot because I don't have the right lens, I simply assume that it wasn't meant to be. There's all kinds of wonderful shots to be taken; you can't expect to get them all.
01-30-2012, 10:22 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I do intend to pick out at least one more lens actually, I'd like a trio of Pentax A lenses so I'm thinking a 200mm prime to oppose my 50mm prime with the versatile zoom/macro I have filling in the gap. Anything over 200mm I assume would be getting into image stability issues since I don't normally lug a tripod around yet though I do have one. Plus all the 300mm primes cost a ton more. Probably this one because anything better in 200mm primes costs a ridiculous amount more. SMC Pentax-A 200mm F4 Reviews - A Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
01-30-2012, 10:38 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Re: Walking out the door with nothing in mind -- That's what I call a "dynamic situation" and I mostly encounter it when traveling. On the road, who know what will pop up next? Hit a new town, what is there to shoot? Those are times for the DA18-250, my basic lens. So I hit that new town and shoot with the superzoom and take mental notes. And the next day, I'm out wandering that town with a very few lenses, maybe just the LOTD (lens of the day) or the ultralight minikit.

Using just a single prime lens forces me to see as that lens does. My LOTD may be an M42 300/5.6 on a thick-flange NIF (no-infinity-focus) M42-PK adapter that limits its focus range to 1.5-150m with a view just 6 degrees wide. So my eye (and what passes for a brain) must seek subjects just in that constrained window. And I see stuff I wouldn't otherwise see. Wow!

Or my LOTD may be a set. I stayed in Santa Fe, New Mexico for a month last year, and some days my walking kit would be nothing but Pentax Fifties. The K50/1.2 for its ultrathin DOF and incredible rendering. The FA50/1.4 for shooting action. The Macro-Takumar 50/4 (1x) for very close work. The Super-Takumar 55/1.8 for its special sharpness and rendering. Each had its place in certain streets and plazas and paths. Another day, another batch of Fifties: planar Yashica ML 50/1.4; close-focusing Meyer Oreston 50/1.8; Industar-50-2 f/3.5 on macro tubes; moody Tomioka 55/1.4; Helios-44 58/2 for its great bokeh. A single Fifty does not suit all tasks.

If my interest lay only in snapping photos, all I'd need would be the Tamron triplets: 10-24, 17-70, 70-200. But I look to look deeper. So I may only carry a very few lenses, but they're selected from a large pool of candidates. This is what works for me.
01-30-2012, 11:58 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Re: Walking out the door with nothing in mind -- That's what I call a "dynamic situation" and I mostly encounter it when traveling. On the road, who know what will pop up next? Hit a new town, what is there to shoot? Those are times for the DA18-250, my basic lens.
For me that's the 'fun situation' where I take one or two M42 or M lenses instead of AF

How people see photography different

01-31-2012, 06:51 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
For me that's the 'fun situation' where I take one or two M42 or M lenses instead of AF

How people see photography different
I walked out this AM with a Lentar 21 (m42) and a tak 55 1.8. for almost anything i might come across on the way to or home from work these 2 can easily cover it. what i come across will depend on how i go home. many days it's nothing of interest
01-31-2012, 08:44 AM   #25
Pentaxian

There are two types of situations where I go out without knowing what I'll be shooting. Sometimes, I know I'll be somewhere where there's likely to be some good photo opportunities. On those days, I usually put together a higher quality kit. It might be 3 primes or it might be a good mid-range zoom with longer & wider primes to suppliment it. Other times, I might be going out with nothing really in mind and I'm carrying a camera "just in case". On those days, I tend to use my DSLR like a big "point & shoot" and put wide-range zoom on it with maybe a close-up filter in my pocket.
01-31-2012, 01:33 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Have you heard of inanimate reproduction?

It seems like the norm in advanced photography to have a whole pile of lenses for every conceivable need or distance or lighting, I tend to be on the other end of the spectrum and try to set myself up with a very few (at this point 1) jack of all trades master of none lenses.

As a more basic general question when you walk out the door with a camera and no specific goal in mind, how do you decide what should be on the camera and what should be in the bag if you even bring a bag, and would you even have time to change lenses if the perfect shot suddenly crossed your path?

I have some basic good quality SMC-A Pentax lenses left over from my 35mm stuff (thus the choice of my new (used) Pentax K20D camera) and my current answer to everything and anything is my 1:3.5 35~105mm since it has that odd macro feature built in and its still reasonable wide angle or zoom, so from a flower to a tower I can usually catch anything I see. I'm not sure I've ever seen a newer auto focus lens for the digitals with this sort of versatility all in one and I wonder where to go next.
I actually let them sit on a shelf, all together and they just seem to multiply all by them selves!

Actually, i have a heard largely because I never sell anything, but to lens a little credit, i do use them all somewhat randomly.

My heard, while not as extensive as RioRico's is large at 45 lenses. But lets break that down a little, although I have a few duplicates,
- I have a set in M42 covering 16mm to 200mm at almost every possible focal length. In total 15 lenses, including one macro, all primes.
- i have a set of K and KA mount lenses from 8mm to 400 mm again with almost every possible focal length, except 200mm (I am waiting for a 200/2,5)
- I have 2 K /KA mount zooms, both excellent quality, a Series 1 70-210/3.5 and a tamron 200-500/5.2
- i have af lenses all zooms, 10-20/4-5.6, 18-35 and 18-55 kit lenses, 28-75/2.8 and 70-200/2.8 plus matching 1.4x and 2x TCs for the tele zoom

the AF lenses are my work horse lenses, they go with me on vacations etc, and I probably shoot 80% of all shots with the 10-20, 28-75 and 70-200.

I will use my MF primes when I travel for work, or when I am out and about just taking shots. I have great portrait lenses, in both M42 and K mount, and will select either M42 or K lenses as I feel like. My prime lens kits dod not cost as much as my 2 principle lenses and the two TCs combined, and I have a lot of fun with them.
01-31-2012, 02:42 PM   #27
Pentaxian

If I was walking out the door with no idea what I was to be shooting, I'd pack a DA15, FA31 and FA77. That will cover anything I'm interested in having photos of.
02-01-2012, 04:35 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think that as you read through all of the responses, that the best lens to have on your camera depends on what type of photography you do. For someone doing landscapes and still lifes - Put an ultra-wide on and shift to that telephoto zoom as needed. When I had my 35mm gear, I had a 20-35, 28-70, and a 70-200. The 28-70 stayed home most of the time. I found myself shooting either really wide or close up - but not so much in between. However, it when I was doing gatherings like parties, that I'd go to the 28-70. I could take a group shot, then turn around and get a portrait which is about 99% of what people take at parites.
02-02-2012, 01:50 AM   #29

Photos: Gallery
I started with an FA43 limited and the 18-55 kit and a Tamron 70-200. Now I have an M 50 f1.7, the 18-55, a Sigma 70mm Macro (sharp!), a Sigma 10-20 and a DA 55-300 for reach.
In the "day" bag I usually have the 10-20, the 70 (usually mounted) and the 55-300, which covers most eventualities. If I am going to an indoor event the kit lens is mounted, the 55-300 is benched. If I am going to an outdoor event, the 55-300 is mounted and the 18-55 is benched. If I am doing work in the studio, the 50 gets mounted for still life, the 70mm for models.
I guess what I am trying to say is that the lens that gets primarily used is determined by the type of shooting I am going to do.
If I am not doing anything in particular, the 70mm is usually good enough....