Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2012, 06:13 AM   #1
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Lens stuck on pentax bellows k

Can anyone reccomend me a suitably qualified repair company that can sort out a little issue I have, namely a lens stuck on a Pentax Auto Bellows K unit that was recently sold to me on eBay. I'm looking for a company that has experience at this and carries obscure spare parts.

I bought it for its independently movable lens and camera attachments but it turns out that the lever which is used to release the lens doesn't work. So I cannot release the lens. The lever looks like it's been subject to a fall because it's bent at 90 degrees to the position it should be. This is the obscure 60 year old part that, once the lens has been removed, needs removing and replacing.

Curious, does anyone know what the consumer's position is when something that is described as in good condition etc actually has a fault that causes the consumer to have to pay out extra to have both that fault rectified and to have the effects of that fault rectified? This seller carries other Pentax stuff so my guess is they didn't actually test the unit with an actual lens.

Many thanks

02-01-2012, 06:43 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
------
Curious, does anyone know what the consumer's position is when something that is described as in good condition etc actually has a fault that causes the consumer to have to pay out extra to have both that fault rectified and to have the effects of that fault rectified? This seller carries other Pentax stuff so my guess is they didn't actually test the unit with an actual lens.

Many thanks
On ebay/Paypal you, as a consumer, are reasonably well protected when it comes to refund for goods sold that are not as decribed.

But when it comes to consequential damages I don't think you have much of a chance. From what I have heard and read you would most likely even have to pay the return postage yourself. (Take a look at the Community/Questions pages on ebay).

Would be interested to hear others' experiences too as I have to buy a good deal of my Pentax stuff via ebay....
02-01-2012, 09:58 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Possible fix

I don't have a Bellows K, but did just get a mint Bellows A, and if the K is made like this you may be able to get the lens off.
First, is the lens release tab like the one in the lower right of this picture?
Name:  Lens Release tab.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  190.2 KB
If so, does your bellows also have the round knob on the side like above? Unscrew that knob and the bellows will slide back from the lens flange, so you can see inside the mount from the rear. In this picture, the yellow line points to a leaf spring that forms the lens release mechanism. Depending on the lens you mounted, you may be able to see it like this:
Name:  FlangeBack.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  181.9 KB
I was able to insert a flat blade (or tiny screwdiver) and pull this leaf-spring back so the lens would release. Of course, as soon as the lens turns it hits the tool, but by then you can remove the tool and the lens is free.
I hope your K bellows is made like this one.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
02-01-2012, 10:26 AM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Very kind, thank you. I'll have a look when I get home

02-01-2012, 12:54 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter

Actually - re-reading your post there may be nothing wrong with the Bellows. If you are used to the releases on the cameras, the bellows release does look backwards in comparison. It is realy just a cheap, flat spring that forms the release, and the end sticking out has a button fastened on "backwards" from what you expect. Here's a closeup of the undamaged release in the locked position:
Name:  Lens Tab Locked.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  285.6 KB
Notice the flat spring coming out of the body is to the front (lens side) of the slot. To release it you have to push it to the back, away from the lens, so you push on the edge of the button, not the round face.
If it is deformed you could probably release the lens by using a small screwdriver between the button and flange to push it to the back of the slot, as shown here:
Name:  lens tab released.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  285.3 KB
02-01-2012, 01:29 PM   #6
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
The one I have is bent more than that... have tried what you've pointed out about a billion times, thanks though
02-01-2012, 01:59 PM   #7
Site Supporter

One More try

OK - then if the Bellows K is built like the Bellows A - try removing the latch cover. On the front beside the lens mount under the latch area is a small phillips-head scew:
Name:  Latch cover.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  281.9 KB
Remove it, and the latch cover comes off. Press the flat latch spring in the area of the red circle and it will release the lens:
Name:  Open Latch.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  191.1 KB