Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2012, 10:49 AM   #1
Veteran Member

MZ-6 - mirror problem

I haven't use my MZ-6 for quite some time and recently I decided to use it for a couple of B&W rolls.

I got new batteries, I did a couple of "blank" test shots and everything seemed to be just fine.
Put in the film, did one shoot and couldn't be more happier.

But then everything went down the drain ... I was preparing to take another shoot. I pressed the "preview depth" button to see a preview and then the camera made some winding noise, view finder went black and then was keep on doing this noise. I looked at the LCD screen and noticed that the camera keeps on taking pictures by itself every 10 seconds or so :|. But just winding the film, not actually opening the shutter (heard no clicks).

Film got to the end and it stoped. I rewinded the film and then the camera went back on making the same noise. I opened the camera and nothing was moving.

I took the lens off and I was a little astonished ... ... the whole mirror mechanism just hangs somwhere between locked-up and fully open. It just stays there hanging ...
Anyone know what the hell is going on and if I can fix it!?

I have turned the camera off and on numerous times and took the batteries out as well. As soon as I turn it on it goes back at making that winding noise and keeps on counting. Mirror stays at the same position. You can move it up and down but is like nothing is holding it ... and the viewfinder is pitch black.

The MZ-6 was my first ever Pentax camera and it was a present from my wife, so there is some sentimental value to it.
Will be nice to get fixed ...

Thanks for any inputs!

02-02-2012, 06:21 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So, I guess my camera just end up in the twilight zone?
02-02-2012, 06:33 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Most likely you're experiencing the same problem as in this thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/39450-mz5n-mir...ce-manual.html
02-02-2012, 07:37 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh boy ... I had a feeling the motor might be dying ...
Well, I guess I will be trying some local shops and see if they can replace it for me.

Thanks a lot for pointing me in the right direction!