Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-01-2012, 11:14 AM   #1

Fitting a SMC Takumar 50mm to a K-r

Hi,

My uncle visited recently, proudly showing off his retirement present, a lurid blue Pentax DSLR! Long story short, I gave him my B copy of the Takumar SMC 50mm f/1.4 (the mouldy one, don't tell him) to play with.

I assured him I would send on an adapter, neglecting to check whether m42 lenses adapted well to Pentax DSLR's or even what model he had. I have since concluded he must have the K-r, the only blue one I could find.

I have also read up on adapters, but I'm still unsure here. On ebay there are to be found many adapters promising infinity focus, along with some that don't. They all seem to come with a spanner-like tool, with no explanation as to what it's for. My other concern is that I read something saying that, I think, you these only work on lenses with no auto-aperture pin. I have had trouble with the pin on the m42 50 f/1.4 clashing with Canon EOS adapters in the past, so I hope someone can give me the bottom line.

Do I need to get him to adapt the lens (he has since gone home, thousands of miles away)? If I buy one of these ebay focus-to-infinity adapters and send it to him, will it just work?

Also, on my Canon, you need a chip mounted on the adapter to allow the focus confirm on the camera to function, which is stupid (financially astute?) on Canon's part. I'm hoping that is not the case with the K-r.

Thanks for reading!

Cheers,

James

02-01-2012, 11:25 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you buy a cheap adapter on eBay, make sure you tell your uncle to remove the spring clip. The tool is for removing the adapter which is held on by the spring clip. The genuine Pentax adapter do no need that tool as you can depress the spring clip with your fingernail. There are no problems other than that. Your uncle will simply have to set Using Aperture Ring to enabled in the Custom menu.
02-01-2012, 11:30 AM   #3

Original Poster
First, thanks for the reply.

When you say the adapter is held on by the spring clip, do you mean to the camera or to the lens? And if I can be clear, the spring clip is a part of the adapter which I should ask him to remove before fitting it to the lens and camera? So it's not needed, this spring clip?

Thanks again,

James
02-01-2012, 11:39 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-meter...k-x-k-7-a.html

The spring clip holds the adapter in the camera. If you remove it all that is holding it in is friction. Members here who have lots of M42 lenses buy the cheap adapters in bulk and keep them on the lenses permanently. You can also cut a small slot in the adapter so that the cameras lens release system can grab onto it. If RioRico sees this thread he'll give you his whole spiel.

This shows the procedure using a genuine Pentax adapter.

02-01-2012, 02:47 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A couple of points to note here.

The spring clip issue is a 2 part issue. Some people have had the spring bend and bind on, locking the adaptor in the body.

Others have had the screw be too long, and not realize this when installing the adaptor on the lens, then when all together they find it impossible to remove the lens from the adaptor and the adatptor from the body.

There is also a 3rd issue with cheap adaptors, the sprig does not allign propelry and idgs into the base of the lens.

as for the tool, it is handy even with the origonal pentax adaptor, so don't discount it outright.

the bottom line is inspect everything very closely before you mount things to the body.
02-01-2012, 02:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The spring clip holds the adapter in the camera. If you remove it all that is holding it in is friction. Members here who have lots of M42 lenses buy the cheap adapters in bulk and keep them on the lenses permanently. You can also cut a small slot in the adapter so that the cameras lens release system can grab onto it. If RioRico sees this thread he'll give you his whole spiel.
Just the short spiel. No long spielunking today. Cave worms ate my brain.

With cheap clone narrow-flange Bower-type M42-PK adapters, always remove the screw and clip OR YOU WILL GO APESH!T! After removal, I use a PK rear lens cap as a wrench to tighten the adapter on the lens. If I'm paranoid, or intend to leave the adapter in place awhile, I may put a wee tiny drop of contact cement on the threads. And I may use a dremel to cut a slot (about 1.5mm deep and wide and 6mm long) or drill a hole (about 1.5mm deep and wide) for the PK lens-lock pin to engage.

For close work, whether portraits or product shots or anywhere infinity doesn't matter, I like using a safe cheap wide-flange NIF (no infinity focus) adapter. No clip, no stress, no swearing. Using such on any screwmount lens forces me to see differently, to look for subjects within the reduced focus range. It's just another discipline.
02-01-2012, 09:46 PM   #7
Den
Veteran Member

Definitely do what Rio Rico said. I didn't remove the screw and clip and had a heluva time, and was panicked that I wouldn't be able to get that damn adapter off my K5. I finally did get it off. I immediately removed the screw and clip and it works just fine. The lens doesn't "lock" in, but is definitely attached. Now I can use the three m42 lenses I own.