Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-02-2012, 08:45 AM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
K10D Repair and Teardown

So I broke what I thought was either the prism or the viewfinder on my K10D a while ago. I've been living with cause it didn't bother me too much.

But the front adjustment dial started acting up on me and the faux leather on the left peeled off, so I figured it was time to repair the camera.

I bought a broken one off the Forum here and after an hour or so, repaired and working!

Taken with an old M Sigma 28-70mm that is actually 2.8 - 4 and does a decent job for a lens I picked up for $20.

Now here is where it got interesting. The Forum Member asked me to figure out what was wrong with his camera while I was at it. There are very striking difference between my camera which is date stamped October and his which is stamped April. The October camera is on the right in this image.

I narrowed down the list of possible problems to an issue with the main board, having tested voltage off the back, voltage through the SD card door sensor and voltage off the battery. One of the most obvious things is the extra shielding and different color wires on my camera. On his Pentax chip there was some very clear goo that I was unable to locate the source of.

In addition in lower left corner of the picture you can see two power connectors, the black wire was attached first and there are solder trace and melted insulation from where they attached the red wire. I found this to be the case across the entire April camera with poor solder control and weak welds.

In conclusion it appears that this earlier K10D body had some quality control issues. I'm wondering if anyone else has had issues or had issued with earlier K10's that were repaired or replaced, and if so what was repaired? I've had my SD card lock go on my K10, and it was replaced under warranty.

Dave

02-02-2012, 09:34 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
When i saw those images, a tear drop off my eye... but if "she" is better now, you are the best
02-02-2012, 10:22 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yup. Good as new
02-02-2012, 10:59 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting

How easy was it to get at the lens locking lever, and the linkage that goes from this lever to the locking pin and screw drive, mine has either broken or separated,

any shots of the donor body from the mount side?

02-02-2012, 12:33 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Getting at the Kaf2 mount is really easy. Bottom comes off first, then front plastic... undo the 5 or 6 screws from the lens mount and carefully remove it... the FA/DA pins are spring mounted to the underside along with the screw drive lever and the release mounts... I think I have some of the front at home, but if not google Pentax Service Manual, there is a site that has it on the net and it shows the mount and associated hardware very clearly.
02-02-2012, 12:48 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dave Quote
Getting at the Kaf2 mount is really easy. Bottom comes off first, then front plastic... undo the 5 or 6 screws from the lens mount and carefully remove it... the FA/DA pins are spring mounted to the underside along with the screw drive lever and the release mounts... I think I have some of the front at home, but if not google Pentax Service Manual, there is a site that has it on the net and it shows the mount and associated hardware very clearly.
Thanks

It is just a curious question, mine has failed but since I use the K10D mostly with legacy lenses, I have somewhat decided to just leave my M42 adaptor in place,

everything else works, except with the locking pin recessed the screw drive is also disengaged so AF also does not function,.
02-02-2012, 01:13 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Ok... I'll for those images when I get home.

02-02-2012, 02:18 PM   #8
Veteran Member

you are brave
02-02-2012, 02:56 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dave Quote
In conclusion it appears that this earlier K10D body had some quality control issues. I'm wondering if anyone else has had issues or had issued with earlier K10's that were repaired or replaced, and if so what was repaired?
I bought mine in April 2007 and have had zero issues.

Steve
02-02-2012, 07:42 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi, well done on repairing your camera, a couple of points, the gunk on the chip is most likely where the screening foil was secured, the fact that the foil is missing means that someone has been inside - probably trying to fix the camera and has not refitted the foil when the camera was reassembled, this would also explain the soldering issues you raise as connections to wires & chip components can be "re-flowed" or re-soldered as part of service in the hope of finding a poor connection which is causing the problem, you'd be surprised how often this is the case. Also certain wires have to be desoldered as part of the disassembly procedure as outlined in the service manual, then reconnected during assembly. To suggest that the factory soldering was dodgy or thay they had quality control issues based on this one camera is unjustfied. Its more than likely that at some stage the unit has had some repair work attempted by someone with less than the required skills or attitude.
In your photo I've circled an area that looks like a solder splash - if it is then this could be a problem but I suspect it is some glue or compound maybe flux residue which is catching the light and appearing silver.

cheers
CC.
Attached Images

02-02-2012, 08:02 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Its very possible I don't know the history of the camera other than 'it won't turn on'. I wasn't laying the blame on anyone, just speculating that if this is how the camera 'came' then QC would have been an issue. Good point about the shield though, hadn't thought of that. Here are some of the other areas I noticed:

Some pretty clear scorching on the white wire, and dirty contacts.

And some more dribbles off to the right on the ribbon cable.

I was amazed at how tightly wound the insides were. Absolutely no way to disassemble the unit with out a lot of solder work. Makes repairing the mainboard, or even something as 'simple' as the upper selector dial a real test of one's soldering skills. Fortunately most of the parts I needed to fix were physical pieces not electronic. In my earlier post you can see the faux leather left grip on my bench... now I've got a nice factory attached one!

Just for fun another one of the camera back together.

Unfortunately no good images of the front of the camera (either one) in process I was mostly worried about the electronics on the back.

Dave
02-02-2012, 08:15 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dave. Those joints are all armature. No professional repair did those
02-02-2012, 08:42 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yeah the welds were very brittle. I didn't break any taking the camera apart, but it was close. Glad its probably not Penax :P I'll have to ask the seller if he's got any more info on the wee beastie.
02-02-2012, 08:53 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Dave. Those joints are all armature. No professional repair did those
100% agree, with those connections to to the copper foil there is no mass to draw away heat so soldering should be very rapid, virtually instantaneous for an experienced Technician with reasonable soldering skills. The burnt flux residue indicates to hot/ to long/ to many times or all of those factors.

Yes it is tight in there Dave, they are difficult things to work on. I have a lifetimes experience of fixing broken electronics and even I feel a little uneasy at stripping down an DSLR as I know there are a whole heap of things that can go wrong in the process. Do you have a service manual, it is available on the internet. If not email me and I'll send it. It doesn't tell lot about fixing them but it does have detailed disassembly and re-assembly instructions with pictures.
02-02-2012, 09:02 PM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cee Cee Quote
Do you have a service manual, it is available on the internet. If not email me and I'll send it. It doesn't tell lot about fixing them but it does have detailed disassembly and re-assembly instructions with pictures.
Yeah the service manual gave me the insight I needed to get the prism shield out with out having to touch any of the bits. Thank you though. My repair focus is a bit more... forgiving... you could say, as I do handyperson stuff like light carpentry, plumbing and electrical, in addition to photography. I've got a steady enough hand to get in and out with out damaging anything, but I don't think I could do the mainboard on a K10 with out a bit of practice first. I was very glad the back had one screw (ground) and a push connector (I/O), but I was quite a bit worried about the top piece as that selector dial is hard wire attached to the body, as is the flash guts.