Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2012, 11:06 AM   #1

Connect to monitor or TV to give live view??

Does anyone know of a camera to connect to computer monitor or TV to give live view?? (going through computer might work but will possibly create a delay)
I would like to be able to see a live view off camera for magnified inspection.
The camera would need to be able to stay on for a good amount of time (1-6 hours).
I looked at the new k-01 with hdmi out (but did not know if it would do live view or just playback what was recorded).

I purchased a 720p video camera but the quality was not there when enlarged onto a 15" monitor.

I don't want to spend a fortune and I already own several pentax lenses that would magnify perfectly (that I have use for close up photos).

Thanks.

02-03-2012, 11:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I use Live View with my K-7 all the time with a 22" HDTV monitor and works great. Especially with marko work I can enlarge and focus precisely on the spot I like.

The camera will shut down live view after about 5 min to protect the sensor from overheating. If you plan to use it to compose and focus the image before taking the picture it should work, but if you want continues live view for hours you probably need to look for other options
02-03-2012, 11:57 AM   #3

K7 and K5 have HDMI out that can plug direct into a monitor or TV - any camera with live view and HDMI out will work I believe - but K5 and K7 definitely do because I have done it lots.
02-03-2012, 02:10 PM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K7 shuts off liveview after 5 mins regardless of the output device. I have mine connected to both a pc monitor and a field monitor via an hdmi matrix device. It can go onto tv too, but the tv in the study faces the other way so it's impractical for me. With HDMI the screen on the back switches off, with RGB it stays on. You're not going to get 1-6 hrs of liveview on one set of batteries, I have to change mine all the time (lost the cam power lead dammit grrrrrrrrr). If it's for finding focus before stacking I don't rate a pc monitor or tv that high, it's quite fuzzy. One annoying thing is that there's no ability to magnify live without touching the cam (which in my case adds vibration and might shift focus when you're at 20x).