Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2012, 11:22 AM   #1

Question re: Tamron-F 1.4x Pz-AF MC4 Teleconverter

Greetings Pentaxions!

I recently came into possession of two Tamron Teleconverters (longish story), and as I have no experience in in film photography, I turned to the internet and a photographer friend to find out what they are, which in turn lead me here.

These two pieces appear unused, come in their own little naugahyde bags and are very nearly identical, with one exception: the number of little bumps on the inside (forgive my lack of proper terminology - i am sure they are some sort of autoflash electronic connection or something). One is identical to the ones posted in ads like this:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/sold-items/146342-sale-sold-tamron-1-4x-p...er-pentax.html

But the other has an extra bump (photo attached).

So I was wondering, what, if any, is the difference between these two units? Whats with the extra bump?
Is the second one also a unit that would work with a Pentax camera? Is $225 (as in the ad above) a fair price for these things?

I intend to sign up and sell these on your marketplace - but I would hate to waste everyone's time because I don't have the pertinent knowledge. So I figured hey, why not just ask? Why not indeed.

I deeply appreciate any elucidation that you, the greater Pentax community, can shed on this.

Cheers, and thanks in advance.

eSc

02-03-2012, 11:49 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Tamron 1.4 teleconverter is a VERY sought after item. This is one of the most popular teleconverters out there. Are you sure you want to sell both of them. You may be wise to hold on to one of them for your own use.
02-03-2012, 12:04 PM   #3
eSc

Original Poster
Bramela,

Thanks for the heads up, but I do not even own a film camera.

I bought a camera bag at a garage sale six(?) years ago (with the intention of using it to hold random audio cables, as I am a mobile dj), but never used it. While going through some old stuff last week, I found the camera bag and I found the two little naugahyde bags buried under all the velcro separators. Thus began my quest.

So do you know about the extra bump? Will the extra bumped one work on a Pentax camera? Im gonna pay my ten bucks and list the one (as it is identical to other listed items in this forum), but before I do I would like to know if I should bother listing the second?

I just really have no idea, which is why I am asking.

Thanks again,

e

Last edited by eSc; 02-03-2012 at 01:06 PM.
02-03-2012, 02:27 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I just got mine out and looked at it. Mine looks like the one that you posted the link to, not the one pictured here. Then I noticed the difference between the fron and the back. The rear side (as your picture shows) only has 6 contacts on mine while yours has 7. Oddly, the front (where the lens attaches) has 7 contacts. My K10D has 7 contacts on the mount. I don't use my 1.4X much but it has always worked just fine. I can't tell you why this one has the 7 contacts but I would guess that it will work just fine. I would post it but mention in the ad that it has the extra contact.

02-03-2012, 03:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Mine is identical to the one in the link. Check the lens review as I think the average price is lower than $225. Got mine for much less just a month ago.
02-03-2012, 05:00 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Tamron F TC is for manual focus lens (auto everything except focus), Tamron PZ-AF TC is for AF lenses. I only have the 2x versions of these TC, and as said before 1.4x TC are much more sought after (more expensive). I don't know the value of them, but you the seller can ask whatever you like. As in most sale, you can always lower your prices but tough to go in the other direction, should you undervalue the sale price.
02-03-2012, 06:34 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In the link you post, the two photos show that one side of that TC has the full row of 7 contacts, while the other side (the side that mounts to the camera) is missing one. Does your mystery model have all 7 contacts on both sides? In any event, the missing contact is only an issue for a small number of lenses (namely A-series lenses with a minimum aperture of f/45). So, offhand, I'd say the extra contact, while nice to have, won't make a difference to most people.

What makes the Pz-AF model so in demand are the Pz contacts. That's the pair of brass-colored contacts on the inside ring. If there is a corresponding pair of contacts on the other side, the TC should work with some of the newer lenses that use a "SDM" or "HSM" focus motor, such as the DA* 200 and DA* 300. These are indeed selling for a bit over US$200 on eBay (The 1.4x model, that is).

Some TCs are nearly identical (Vivitar, Pro-Optic), but lack the Pz contacts on the lens-facing side.

Last edited by baro-nite; 02-03-2012 at 06:35 PM. Reason: addendum
02-04-2012, 07:02 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
These are indeed selling for a bit over US$200 on eBay (The 1.4x model, that is).
Looks like the OP got an Incredible deal...nice find!
Guess mine for <$80 was more of a deal than I thought.