Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
02-04-2012, 03:07 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
As far as I am concered, not including the 645D, the K7 and K5 are pro quality cameras.

02-06-2012, 07:14 PM   #32

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The gear is almost irrelevant when it comes to "pro" work its how you use it, knowing your gear it limitations and getting themost out it is just as important. I use my K20D for real estate shoots. it does what I need to produce the results the customer wants. The K20D goes every where I go, but at the first sign of rain or dust the C/N cameras vanish into the bag I can keep working,
02-07-2012, 04:38 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In the film world they would be as follows:

35mm: LX
645: Any camera body
6x7: Any camera body

Phil.
03-10-2012, 08:29 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by westmill Quote
I beleive the Olympus E5 has been tested to 250 or even 300 thousand shutter actuations and is built like a tank,
It is certainly a pro camera to the highest degree.
The same rules apply to full frame too. Its about durability and nothing to do with IQ.
Some of the consumer cameras perform every bit as good as the pro model with the same glass fitted.
Its about depenability and survivning the knocks etc.
The Olympus E-5 has a shutter rated to 150,000 cycles:
QuoteQuote:
Durable shutter mechanism tested to 150,000 cycles. The pro-level shutter ensures reliability, even at five frames per second, thanks to a durable shutter mechanism tested to 150,000 cycles, making the E-5 the camera of choice for photographers who demand durability from their equipment.
The build quality and weather sealing are comparable to the PENTAX K-5:
QuoteQuote:
A Rugged "thixomold" magnesium-alloy construction coupled with advanced splash and dust protection, make the E-5 the perfect choice for photographers who demand the most from their equipment, in any situation.
See this Olympus page: E-5 Features and Benefits

--DragonLord

Last edited by bwDraco; 03-10-2012 at 09:09 AM.
03-10-2012, 08:33 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DragonLord Quote
The Olympus E-5 has a shutter rated to 150,000 cycles. The build quality and weather sealing are comparable to the PENTAX K-5.

--DragonLord
You should check once again my freind !
03-10-2012, 08:37 AM   #36
Veteran Member

You should check once again my freind !
Read my updated post.

--DragonLord
03-10-2012, 08:47 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DragonLord Quote
The Olympus E-5 has a shutter rated to 150,000 cycles:

The build quality and weather sealing are comparable to the PENTAX K-5:

See this Olympus page: E-5 Features and Benefits

--DragonLord
Now Ive said that Ive seen both figures quoted lol... so I dont know ? lol
Well thats the olympus site so thats got to be correct ! sorry !

03-16-2012, 12:24 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Neel1 Quote
But then what would be considered as fully professional cameras?
Hmm if you ask me no camera is a professional camera- it's the photographer that can be professional Not trolling here ok, it's just that I think even the best cameras can be used by non-pro's, e.g. Canon 1DX, Pentax 645D, Phase One P65, if that person has enough money to buy one. You can't pay a camera and tell it to do photography and shoot this and that...
03-24-2016, 05:00 AM   #39
Pentaxian

I beleive the Olympus E5 has been tested to 250 or even 300 thousand shutter actuations and is built like a tank,
It is certainly a pro camera to the highest degree.
The same rules apply to full frame too. Its about durability and nothing to do with IQ.
Some of the consumer cameras perform every bit as good as the pro model with the same glass fitted.
Its about depenability and survivning the knocks etc.

I have e-p5 and it's very different build qulity between e-p5, and e-pl5 ( L is for "light" ) .
E-p5 HAVE ALMOST ALL FEATURES INCLUDING BUILD QUAILTY, AS THE OLY FLAGSHIP OMD-EM1.
Including shutter count test to at least 200.000 actuations
03-24-2016, 05:38 AM - 1 Like   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Neel1 Quote
In the reviews, I always hear the experts call the different Pentax cameras up to the K-5 as "semi-professional". But then what would be considered as fully professional cameras? And which Pentax model would be considered as one?
Even back into the film days, Pentax primarily viewed their medium format cameras as their "professional" offerings. But the truth was, many of their smaller cameras were more than capable of delivering professional results. It's the same today in the digital world. Pentax may not deem them as such, but I consider the *istD, K10D, K20D, K7, K5, K3, and K1 as Pentax's non-medium format, professional digital cameras. They're certainly built to those kinds of specs. And it's not that they're tremendously better image-makers than the other models, it's just a level of ruggedness, I guess you could say.
03-24-2016, 07:22 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Holy thread necromancy.... reviving a 4 year old thread?
05-09-2016, 07:59 PM - 1 Like   #42
Veteran Member

A pro camera is any camera you do professional (meaning money making) work with. In other words, any camera can be viewed as a pro camera.
11-05-2018, 09:00 AM - 2 Likes   #43
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes, you can be a pro and shoot Pentax

I've been making a nice part-time living shooting exclusively Pentax gear since the 1980s. My clients don't care. I consistently get excellent images and have been smiling the whole time (and making regular deposits in my bank account). Pro Pentaxians may be few (or just quieter), but we are mighty...and can be mighty successful!
11-05-2018, 10:12 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That term has been up in the air for definition over the decades. Some have said a metal body plus full set of controls are a must to qualify. Others said that only that plus a modular construction like the Pentax LX would qualify, which would mean few if any exist today among FF or APS-C DSLRs. It seems that necessity has been dropped from the category.

It is generally agreed that virtually all medium and larger format cameras are of professional design, yet format per se is not a requirement for the pro category. Canon and Nikon make no MF models, yet they indeed do make pro models. The requirements have indeed depended on who you ask, and have changed over time. Lately, having a 2-card slot feature has been added for some to designate a pro model, even though all pro applications are not especially of such need.

It boils down to rugged, durable, WR metal construction, full-featured controls system, and being useful for professional endeavors. Being able to "take it" when bumping around in the outback on assignment. Back in the 35mm film days, Popular Photography included the Pentax LX and later the Pentax MZ-S in their professional listing, even though not having WR. At that time, 100,000 shutter actuations spec, or better, was considered professional durability.

I would say the K-7, the K-5, II, IIs, the K-3, II, the K-1, II, having the full set of on-body controls and rugged build, and yes, the KP, can qualify for many professional uses, but not all. In the Nikon lineup, for instance, their D500 reduces the sensor to 20mp so the frames PS can be cranked up along with writing and buffering speed, all to address use for fast-action sports shooting. Obviously a specialized professional endeavor which the above Pentax models are not designed for. So all professional photographers using Nikon equipment are not using D500 or like designs, because not all are into action photography and burst shooting.

The old Pentax USA company before being bought first by Hoya, then later by Ricoh, had its own service facility with very good backup for pros, and very good overall service. The Pentax products have advanced, while service has diminished.

Last edited by mikesbike; 11-05-2018 at 08:05 PM.
11-05-2018, 10:21 AM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SPLewis Quote
I've been making a nice part-time living shooting exclusively Pentax gear since the 1980s. My clients don't care. I consistently get excellent images and have been smiling the whole time (and making regular deposits in my bank account). Pro Pentaxians may be few (or just quieter), but we are mighty...and can be mighty successful!
Looking at my part time income my old Optio W80 was the most "professional". The best price to earnings ratio of any of my cameras and gear.

Yep here it is folks the camera that paid for itself 5 times over.

My K-1, I've never even done a print from.
I know what the professional camera in my family is.