Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2012, 06:52 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
best camera option for a budding photographer

We are looking to upgrade a relative's camera from point and shoot, to the next step up. Staying w/in the Pentax family, what would be a good suggestion for quality pictures (good resolution) without too many bells and whistles. Interchangeable lenses would be manageable, but not much more at this point.

02-04-2012, 07:01 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The last two cameras I have upgraded to (K20 and the K5), I did at the end of their product cycle. The Kr is in the process of being replaced by a new model, so in my estimation now is the perfect time to acquire one. The kit (body and 18-55mm lens) goes for around $550.Its Pentax's entry level model, however it is much more than the entry level models that Canon or Nikon provide in terms of feature set. Its a very capable unit.

02-04-2012, 07:40 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Well, they did just announce the k-01 which sounds like exactly what you are looking for. Interchangeable lenses but with P&S ergonomics and styling. Not out yet but here is the link if you want to look.

In your header you say "budding photographer", to me that implies a younger person, or at least a novice with a strong interest in growing their skills. If that is the case then the k-r or the k-5 are the two current models, the k-r being the entry level, both of these are typical dslrs and would be a good choice if the relative is going to pursue photography. But if your relative is just a snapshot kind of person and not comfortable with all the controls on a dslr then maybe the k-01 is for them. The nice thing I see from what has been released so far is that the lenses are compatible so if they do decide to go to a dslr eventually then the lens investment is not lost.
02-04-2012, 09:55 PM   #4
Site Supporter

I love my K-r. I can let it take control and leave it to make the decisions or I can take control and make my own settings. I like that I can do both. Without getting into too much detail, I have some medical issues that among others things, affect my ability to process new information so I really benefit from being able to pick and choose how much control I give the camera. It means I can still take some really great pictures on my off days.

As interested_observer said the K-r has many more features not found on more expensive entry level dslrs offered by Canon and Nikon.

bigted

02-05-2012, 06:19 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The kr is definitely a good choice for the price but it really depends on how comfortable the person is with taking the camera out. For example if you get a kr will they want to lug it around with friends all the time? Or will it be taking a backseat to a p&s? I know people will be wholely against this suggestion but have you considered the Q? In my opinion if the person in question is going to be afraid of lugging it around it wont help the learning process. In which case the Q is less intrusive and may get more action in the field.

As for lens investment yes the kr is a k mount and thus you can eventually upgrade but the q isnt at all expensive lens/cost wise around 200$ nets you the telephoto and fisheye.

As for the k5 id be against it for a first timer as it maybe overwhelming in terms or learning some people are intimidated by the menus and twirly bits. As for the k01 it is not out yet in the real world for retail sale and it seems like it may not really have that big of a size advantage over the kxor kr which are tiny to begin with.
02-05-2012, 08:38 AM   #6
Site Supporter

I, for one, have never encountered a camera that has a whistle.
02-05-2012, 01:44 PM   #7

Original Poster
You never know, they may eventually include a whistle. Some of our Pentaxs are so well equipped, I wouldn't put it past them.
02-05-2012, 01:45 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for the input

Thanks for the input. I will check into the different options myself now. It is difficult at times w/out a Pentax dealer nearby, but we do get to places now and then, where there are reputable dealers. Looking forward to evaluating the cameras up close now. Thanks again.