Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2012, 07:38 AM   #1
Inactive Account

k100d vs. k10

Dear pentax people.The K100 is my first dslr and for the past six months I've thoroughly enjoyed my introduction into photography.I've been most interested in developing a point of view,telling a story....and then worrying about correct aperture,shutter speed,etc.This is probably the wrong way round but it has given my picture taking a great deal of excitement and energy.
If I find a picture I really like,I'll go develop it at a drugstore,never more than an 8x10 and feel good that something decent has appeared.I've also purchased a Tamron 28-105 and,Pentax 35mm lenses.
Lately though I've been looking at upgrading my camera and have been considering the K10.Do you guys think I need to do this?I love my camera but I want to push myself more and learn more.Any opinions would be appreciated.
Sincerely,Gretchen

02-05-2012, 08:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You might find more factory refurbished K20s available for not much more money, so long as that is not an issue.
The difference in size is something to think about. If you haven't already, take a look around the forum's camera reviews section and get an idea of the size and weight of many cameras that could be considered an upgrade from your existing camera.
02-05-2012, 09:22 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My foray into Pentax was with the K10D. I love it and will probably never sell it. I now use the K20 as my work camera (weddings etc) but still prefer the K10 for studio.
The K10 K20 are a bit larger / heavier, but that's one reason I like them. You wouldn't be paying much more to have the K20 over the K10.
They are both very capable cameras in my opinion.
02-05-2012, 11:37 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I have both; started with K10D and added a refurbished K100D a year later.

The K10D is the better photographers camera with regards to controls; e.g. spot/centerweight/matrix metering is not hidden in a menu and dual dials. But I prefer the feel of the K100D over the K10D; just is better in my (not too small) hands and not as heavy (but the latter might be partially caused by the fact that I only use M42 lenses on the K10D).

Image wise they produce similar images (of course some extra megapixels on the K10D).

02-06-2012, 04:20 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks Matt...but i've got one more question.Is there any reason for me to consider a micro four thirds camera as an alternative to my big K100?I mean I walk around my city of Portland and see all kinds of stuff I wish I could photograph.Sometimes I think having a small camera,quick on the draw might be good for street photography.But I wonder about image quality that I might be giving up.Any opinion?And further my motivation in taking a picture is the story behind it,not necessarily the bokeh.Sincerely,Gretchen