Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2012, 11:25 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K20D focusing trouble

Dear friends!
Something happened with my K20D. It got ill.
It was dropped 3-4 months ago with DA50-135 attached. Lens crushed, but camera survived. At leas it did not show any signs of trouble right after the accident.
I have taken loads of pictures after the crush. But yesterday (on world's pentax day) I have discovered, that autofocus is out of order with both of my lenses (da16-50 & da50-135). The issues are:

1. Blinking "MF" in the viewfinder in autofocus mode (both camera and lens focus switches in "AF" position. The camera woun't take pictures. If I switch both camera and lens switch to MF, it would take pictures; It would also if I hold "AF" button on the back of the camera while switches in AF;
2. Cannot reach "Fn" or "Menu" of the camera. (But picture playback is working.) The screens would appear and disappear momentarily. If I take lens off the "Menu" and "Fn" fully reachable;
3. When I switch brecketing on to take 3 pictures the camera would take sometimes 5 pictures. When setting brecketing to 5 pictures the camera would sometimes take 4 pictures;

I have cleaned camera and lens contacts - no success.
Now I removed battery and will keep camera without it foa several hours. (This did not help )

Maybe someone of you already knows what is the trouble?
Please, help!

02-05-2012, 01:44 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Some questions to help.

You said the DA50-135mm was "crushed" I assume since you are using it, it's fixed now?
Did the DA16-50mm ever get repaired at the same place. And if not do you have any lens that work fine with the K20D.
02-06-2012, 12:56 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for reply!
Yes, DA50-135 is now fixed and DA16-50 has never been repaired. Nothing wrong with it.
It's a pity I cannot try any other lens at the moment =(
02-07-2012, 03:48 PM   #4

Original Poster
no clue

It's a pity nobody can advise =(
I probably, have to send my camera for repairs.

02-10-2012, 02:01 PM   #5

Original Poster
Some update

1. Suddenly the autofocus started working. But SDM motor on DA* lenses is not (both of my lenses). I can hear the noise of in-camera focusing motor. The focusing looks not stable.
2. Camera menu and "Fn" menu are accessible again with the lens attached.
3. Brecketing is not working properly (takes more images than set to).

Can anybody advise if it could be firmware problem? Is it possible to reinstall firmware? I have 1.04 installed.