Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2012, 09:25 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It all depends on what you want to do. When I'm out walking the dogs along the river, I always have the 55-300 (non-L).
Specialty lenses like the fisheye you'll probably want to rent first to decide whether they do what you want.
Figure out what you want to do and find a quality lens in that range.

Don't forget the marketplace here. You'll find that DA 55-300 around $300 or so.

02-06-2012, 12:21 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ~*Amie*~ Quote
Hello epqwerty, I'm just wondering what you mean about being severely Limited in terms of versatility?? as this will be my first lens purchase I don't know too much about lenses, I've been reading and reading trying to let all this SLR info soak in my brain..lol..But from what I've seen from the 35mm lens I love it, I'm sure the 50mm is alot better but brand new is alittle out of my price range right now Does anyone know where I can find the 50mm cheap and can I use an older one??

thanks for the advice, I have decided to wait and save for the 50-300mm I think it's probably my safest bet, since listening to what you all had to say.
What i mean by this is that you are stuck with the focal length of 35mm while with the kit zoom lens you have the range of 18-55mm focal lengths. So if you are out shooting something maybe far away and the 35mm focal length may not get you the shot unless you run up to it. Or for example you are in a small room the 35mm may not be wide enough to get the entire scene that you want. Where as in the kit lens you can change the focal length to 55 and get effective get that far away shot or change to 18mm and get that wide angle for the small room.

Im in no way saying that the 35mm i terrible i personally have one of these and love it. Again i cant stress this enough but i would look back at previous pictures and see what focal length you shoot with the most and then decide what prime lens to get.
02-06-2012, 01:17 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Hello epqwerty, I'm just wondering what you mean about being severely Limited in terms of versatility?? as this will be my first lens purchase I don't know too much about lenses, I've been reading and reading trying to let all this SLR info soak in my brain..lol..But from what I've seen from the 35mm lens I love it, I'm sure the 50mm is alot better but brand new is alittle out of my price range right now Does anyone know where I can find the 50mm cheap and can I use an older one??

thanks for the advice, I have decided to wait and save for the 50-300mm I think it's probably my safest bet, since listening to what you all had to say.
Adding to what has mentioned above, you can try and set your kit to 35mm ( or even at 18mm or 50mm) and force yourself to shoot at that one focal length alone for a week and see if shooting with a prime lens is something you'd be comfortable with based on your shooting style. I wanted the 35mm f2.4 ever since it came out but after doing the same exercise at 35mm, I found myself wanting something in the 28 or wider range so I held back on the 35 and ended up with a Pentax-A 28 f2.8.
02-06-2012, 01:21 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
It's all in what you want to do with your photos. My first lens purchase was the SMC 50mm F/2.8 Macro. Love this lens. My second lens was the DA* 50-135mm f/2.8. Both lenses are phenomenal. Starting with a good all around zoom lens can give you an idea of the focal lengths you would like to shoot at. But what do I know, Im still a newbie too

02-06-2012, 03:34 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I have a zillion lenses. I started small. Then the accumulation just grew. I sort of followed this strategy:

1) Coverage - my Tamron 10-24, DA18-250, and Lil'Bigma 170-500 cover a lot of territory.
2) Speed - my FA50/1.4, and fast f/2 manual focus lenses at 24-28-35-58-85mm are great.
3) Specialty - fisheye and ultrawideangle, long and short macro, mirrors, for special needs.
4) Character - old slow manual glass often renders differently than modern corrected optics.
5) Mania - whatever bizarre optical materials I can stick in front of the camera. Fun fun fun!

I have all sorts of other strategies. For instance:

* Ask yourself, "What do I really want to do that I can't do with what I have already?"
* If a lens costs less than a sandwich, buy it. If it's more than a fancy meal, think hard.
* Auctions: Bid low; bid often; lose 99% of them; don't worry, another will appear soon.

And to fondle and buy used lenses, see this: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/59245-pawnshop-lense...ers-guide.html
02-06-2012, 04:54 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Hello everyone, as you all know I'm still a newbie to the SLR world..lol..I have a Pentax K-x I have the 18-50mm lens on it the one that came with it, what I'm wanting to know is what's the next step up for a lens, I want to upgrade my lens next week and was wondering which one to get, I'm not looking to spend a big amount thinking around $300 but I'm clueless when it comes to lenses still..so any help will be appreciated.
Look at what you shoot now and if you find you are always at one end of the focal length or the other bulky a lens I that direction that extends your range. Your price range seems to favor a consumer level 50ish to 300mm zoom but an ultra wide may also be of interest.
What do you want to shoot?
02-09-2012, 07:22 AM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I have a zillion lenses. I started small. Then the accumulation just grew. I sort of followed this strategy:

1) Coverage - my Tamron 10-24, DA18-250, and Lil'Bigma 170-500 cover a lot of territory.
2) Speed - my FA50/1.4, and fast f/2 manual focus lenses at 24-28-35-58-85mm are great.
3) Specialty - fisheye and ultrawideangle, long and short macro, mirrors, for special needs.
4) Character - old slow manual glass often renders differently than modern corrected optics.
5) Mania - whatever bizarre optical materials I can stick in front of the camera. Fun fun fun!

I have all sorts of other strategies. For instance:

* Ask yourself, "What do I really want to do that I can't do with what I have already?"
* If a lens costs less than a sandwich, buy it. If it's more than a fancy meal, think hard.
* Auctions: Bid low; bid often; lose 99% of them; don't worry, another will appear soon.

And to fondle and buy used lenses, see this: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/59245-pawnshop-lense...ers-guide.html
Amie, this is an example of how you will become if you catch LBA (Lens-Buy-Adiction), a far gone case actually. Beware. There are theories that the virus are dormant inside lenses, wake up when mounted on cameras and spread by contact if you touch a lens recently handled by someone who has got LBA. Others claim that you can get it also just from touching a key board. Unfortunately I've got it also. 120 lenses last time I counted.
02-10-2012, 08:04 PM   #23
Pentaxian

It's limited in that it isn't a zoom. That's not bad, but it is what it is. What makes you say the 50 woild be "better"? Better if you happen to have some sort of use in mind that requires a 50mm lens, I guess, but that's kimd of an oddball focal length on APS-C.

02-11-2012, 05:10 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Well the 50 on a aps-c is an odd focal length but I find that it works really well for those shoulder and head type of portraits whereas the 35 you can essentially do the same thing but as a closer distance to the subject. In my world, I have both lenses and they have their respective uses.
02-11-2012, 05:27 PM   #25
Pentaxian

50 works Ok for portratis, but better still is something a bit longer - something between 55 and 90. Anyhow, the point was, a 50 isn't a better lens than a 35. That's like saying a screwdriver is a better tool than a wrench. One is good for one thing, the other for another thing.
02-12-2012, 05:01 AM   #26
Veteran Member

A 50mm is actually a relict of the past

Not that it's not useful; I only have 3
02-14-2012, 07:22 PM   #27
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
The 35 2.4 is an excellent lens. Just bought it myself (I'm a newbie too). And just to let you know, there are lots of quite inexpensive 70-300 and 100-300 lenses out there. I got the Promaster 70-300 used for around $50 and for the money it's outstanding. I then got my daughter a 70-300 Quantaray which also is a decent lens for around $60. I also got a Pentax F 100-300 for $50 when I gave my daughter my Promaster (which I want to buy another copy of--I didn't realize I would miss the 70-99 range that the Pentax lacks as much as I do). My only point is that if money is an issue, there are lots of these lenses on ebay for very little money and while I've never compared them with the DA, for the money they have all been more than decent performers. Have fun!
03-06-2012, 12:44 PM   #28

I would have posted a new thread but do not know the actual name of the issue I want to ask about but afaik it goes a little like this:

Just before I bought my KX I recall read somewhere* that when connecting any lenses to the pentax kx I have to factor x.5 or x1.5 into the lens; this due to the Kx body having this effect on the lens.

Is this right? Help. I want to get these numbers right.

* I believe a reliable source, Aaand of course I cannot find the source at the moment.
03-06-2012, 01:02 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Iksobarg Quote
I would have posted a new thread but do not know the actual name of the issue I want to ask about but afaik it goes a little like this:

Just before I bought my KX I recall read somewhere* that when connecting any lenses to the pentax kx I have to factor x.5 or x1.5 into the lens; this due to the Kx body having this effect on the lens.

Is this right? Help. I want to get these numbers right.

* I believe a reliable source, Aaand of course I cannot find the source at the moment.
It's the crop factor theoryactually there is nothing to add to the lens. a 50 mm lens is a 50 mm lens. that never changes. what does change is the field of view. if you are a long time 35mm film user and trying to adjust to the apsc sensor size (which is the same as the old half frame 35mm cameras) your 50mm lens will give you a field of view approximately thesame as a 75 mm lens would on film so s hort portrait lens not far off the 77ltd on film for field of view. Depth of field is also affected. at the same F stop (say f2.8) the apsc/digital will have more in focus area than it would on Full Frame (ie film or 35MM)

If you have never shot with Full frame or 35mm film (or only done so in a limited way) then it really has no bearing. put the lens on your camera and shoot based on what you see through the viewfinder

the huge benefit on apsC is you can get greater reach with a lens (good for birders) and if you want a great portrait lens and can focus mahually there are thousands of F1.4 - F1.8 50-55mm lenses out there for $60 or less that make great portrait lenses. his is not true of finding an old (or new) 85mm for FF where at best you will spend 5 times that.

There are many other things that can complicate this (sensor equivalence for one) but until the release of the D800 from Nikon mostly they were theoretical. Now on a 36mp D800 you could shoot a 50 f 1.4 to preform as it does on 35mm, or flip the fx/dx switch and shoot it like it's on a 16mp apsc camera like the D7000. a real game changer if you have 10 grand or so for a 3 zoom lens starter kit covering 14mm-200mm @ f2.8:
03-08-2012, 09:08 AM   #30

Yes, I brushed up/went back to 35mm transition to digital and got lost there you see.
Thanks so much Eddie.