Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2012, 09:59 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Iksobarg Quote
I recently read from a poster that such 1.4 Fstop lenses are not preferable to the smaller apertures such as F2.4 for out in the sun pics. True?
It would give you perfectly round specular highlights, with almost no risk of motion blur or camera shake.

Drawbacks I can think of:
  • If it's a bright day, you can get shutter speeds at or close to the maximum of your camera. You then may not have any any room for exposure compensation.
  • The highlight compensation feature will make this worse as it moves ISO up to 200.
  • Sharpness, contrast and colors won't be as good as they would be at f2.0 or so.
  • Narrow depth of field.

Everything's a compromise, so try it and see.

11-02-2012, 12:02 PM   #47

learning, learning, learning...

Many thanks my fellow Pentaxian! I'll have to give it a go and see then.
Makes me wonder if letting the DA35/F2.4 go is such a good idea...

I'll need some help understanding some pics I've taken so far. I haven't posted any for feedback in all the time I've been here. It's okay to post some samples in this thread or start a new one? It might take me a while as I need to select them carefully.

On another note I'm shopping down a limited and or/ trying to upgrade from my stock 18-55mm (Kx) and replace my DA35/F2.4:
I photograph both in(lowlight, I tend to avoid flash to my own peril) and outdoors of moving/running children.

I could use some purchasing guidance:
I'm out for sharpness mainly, and value for the money. A Pentax31Ltd. is way out of my reach. I'm rambling now... read so many reviews on the limiteds...

Need help with deciding:
Pentax *16-50mm(?) , tamron 17-50, or which similar Sigma (I've looked many but find it hard to conclude on one)
and
between a Sigma 30/F1.4 or a DA43Ltd.
(and do all Sigma 30mm DC have HSM, I saw one advertised that did not have HSM but looked them up here and saw none that were HSM-less) or maybe I need glasses.

Anyway my plot thickens... and I look forward to any feedback.
Many, Many Thanks!

Last edited by Iksobarg; 11-02-2012 at 12:23 PM. Reason: correcting lens info
11-03-2012, 03:30 PM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Iksobarg Quote
Many thanks my fellow Pentaxian! I'll have to give it a go and see then.
Makes me wonder if letting the DA35/F2.4 go is such a good idea...

I'll need some help understanding some pics I've taken so far. I haven't posted any for feedback in all the time I've been here. It's okay to post some samples in this thread or start a new one? It might take me a while as I need to select them carefully.
I'd start a new one because the title here is vague enough to be overlooked.

QuoteQuote:
On another note I'm shopping down a limited and or/ trying to upgrade from my stock 18-55mm (Kx) and replace my DA35/F2.4:
I photograph both in(lowlight, I tend to avoid flash to my own peril) and outdoors of moving/running children.

I could use some purchasing guidance:
I'm out for sharpness mainly, and value for the money. A Pentax31Ltd. is way out of my reach. I'm rambling now... read so many reviews on the limiteds...

Need help with deciding:
Pentax *16-50mm(?) , tamron 17-50, or which similar Sigma (I've looked many but find it hard to conclude on one)
and
between a Sigma 30/F1.4 or a DA43Ltd.
(and do all Sigma 30mm DC have HSM, I saw one advertised that did not have HSM but looked them up here and saw none that were HSM-less) or maybe I need glasses.

Anyway my plot thickens... and I look forward to any feedback.
Many, Many Thanks!
The Sigma 30/1.4 does not come with HSM when it's in Pentax mount. If you look at the Sigma site and go to mounts available, the Pentax listing doesn't say HSM. A lot of sellers are not familiar with the quirks of different mounts and will list all versions with features of just the popular versions.

A good reliable midrange zoom is really useful even if you have a bunch of primes within the same range. That way you have a lens for those times when you don't exactly know what the shooting conditions will be, or you need to cover many conditions. I decided I didn't need my midrange zoom to be f2.8, so I got the Pentax DA 16-45mm f4, which works very well for how I use it. Today I might get the Tamron 17-50 instead - faster, a bit longer, same filter size.
11-23-2012, 12:20 AM   #49

What did she get at the end?

11-23-2012, 02:16 AM   #50

low f stop+ high iso = no go

I'm here now.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-technique/205467-thoughts-sharpness-3.html#post2178647

Last edited by Iksobarg; 11-23-2012 at 02:40 AM.