Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2012, 03:18 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Replacing sensor

Hi!
I've started this new thread since I got a doubt and want to discuss with you. What i was thinking is:

Can I replace the sensor of the K20d with the K5 (for example) obtaining in this way an old camera with the specs of a new one?

I mean, why I can't do this? I thought that maybe in addition to the sensor I've to change also something, but what?!

Thank you very much!
Gabriele

02-05-2012, 03:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I believe it can be done, just that it will make a nice deco piece afterward.
02-05-2012, 03:32 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
I believe it can be done, just that it will make a nice deco piece afterward.
Yup. It's not just the sensor- the firmware, processor, and busses would also need to be updated

The K20 has got nothing on the K-5- so why not just get a K-5?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-05-2012, 03:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
lol You are right!! My question is just fantasy!
I thought that all the camera are more or less the same and I couldn't explain to me why I have to update processor etc. If i change the sensor and update the firmware of the i-don't-know(K7) with the one of the K5, in my mind everything works........ok, I lack in electronics

02-05-2012, 05:21 PM   #5
Veteran Member

It's a bit like putting a Volvo motor inside a Ferrari. Sure, it'll fit, but it would take a lot to make it actually work.
02-05-2012, 06:48 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
It's a bit like putting a Volvo motor inside a Ferrari. Sure, it'll fit, but it would take a lot to make it actually work.
I would think that would be far easier than swapping sensors in a camera actually, of course starting with a mostly complete Volvo donor would be preferred. So if you even wanted to attempt this, you'd need a complete, working K-5 donor, at which point you may as well just use the K-5.