Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2012, 09:18 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Explain focusing screens to me (or provide a link)

This isn't a whats the best one thread, there are 100 of those. I feel like I'm missing something essential about what a focusing screen does for the camera (in this case K20D). This thread which someone linked for me: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/142241-best-screen-ever-...anon-ee-s.html makes it sound as if the cameras lighting and everything goes all wonky if you pick the wrong one. I assumed focusing screens were just for fools like me who only use old manual focus lenses (A series for me) to get a clearer idea of when they are properly in focus. I like the split middle circle with the fuzzy ring around it that was in my old 35mm Super Program, I assume it was the stock one for that.

EDIT: Looks like I found my answer on that Russian K lens guys site, didn't know they were dumb enough to make the light sensor look through extra parts. Now I just need a mathematician to chart how how the lighting will be dynamically messed up for each F stop in the range with something like a KatzEye.

Last edited by PPPPPP42; 02-06-2012 at 09:47 AM.
02-06-2012, 09:50 AM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The good news - the KatzEye screen is made out of a screen for an old pre-DSLR manual focus camera so the compensation required is constant over the F-stop range - at least mine is. It's the modern "bright matte" screens that influence the metering in a non-linear way over the F-stop range.
02-06-2012, 10:49 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Constant would be great. I don't fully understand why they have issues with really fast lenses but I hope my A501.4 still works.
Bright matte doesnt have anything to do with KatzEye optibrite treatment does it? I was going to get that option without fully understanding why. Also with the exposure brackets and the rule of thirds grid (one is free with the other) do you think the picture will be too cluttered and distracting? I'd at least like the exposure brackets still there but if the other is free with it why not.

EDIT: ok from their description on their site it does effect the camera light sensor maybe optibrite it isn't for me, all my lenses are higher speed fixed aperature zooms and my fast prime, slowest is a 4, even if I need to stop it down for something I don't imagine it will be that horrible without the extra brightness.

Last edited by PPPPPP42; 02-06-2012 at 10:59 AM.