Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-06-2012, 02:51 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Need Lens Filter Advice

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I just bought my first higher end lens; a Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 zoom (thank you for the great Sports Zooms review Adam!)
I want to protect it with a filter, so I went to a local camera shop and asked what they recommended. They said for a lens like that one you should get something really nice or not use a filter at all because an inexpensive filter it will hurt the image quality. The one they recommended was a $56 Hoya multi-coated filter.

Does anyone have any advice or recommendations?
Your comments are greatly appreciated

02-06-2012, 02:58 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Use the hood all the times and skip the filter. Put the lens cap on when not in use. If you need more protection consider getting insurance. A cheap filter will ruin your photos and any filter will introduce some artifacts like ghosting and flares especially at night with light sources in the frame, some more some less.

If you regularly shoot in hazardous environments, then definitely use a filter and cover your camera also, but for regular use, you are better off without one.
02-06-2012, 03:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I use Hoya UV filters on my lenses... If there is any degredation of IQ then I can't see it...

I use chinese-screw-in-metal-hoods too...

If you're doing any landscape work with it (I know it's a tele, I have read the thread...) then a decent CPL is an idea too...

Posts rubbishing the use of UV's will now follow:
02-06-2012, 04:19 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote

Posts rubbishing the use of UV's will now follow:
Rubbish, pure rubbish I say !!!!

However, I generally keep a UV filter on all of my lenses for protection purposes, just in case. I use only Hoya Pro 1 Digital UV's. They may not be the best or most expensive, but I don't see any degradation of the images. I also always use the lens hood. I'm constantly reminding my wife to use hers as well. To push the filter concept to it's limit, I even have the small filter that screws into the inside of the hood on my DA21mmLtd. The lens is small to begin with and the actual front element is very small. It's almost completely impossible to accidently hit the front element with the hood in place. Filters are cheap insurance, but you can't buy the real cheap ones.

Now, back to rubbish. I have several OLD film era lenes that I occasionally use. On the cheap (now basically wothless) no name lenses, I generally won't bother with a protection filter. I still will always use a hood.

This also doesn't take into the thought process other types of filters. Polarizers and Grad Neutral density will always have a place (but again, not the cheap ones).

02-06-2012, 06:06 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Me, Too!

Hello Drom,
Put me down as a charter member of the "Always use a skylight or UV filter" club, along with the "Never shoot a photo without a lens hood" gang.
I've seen (and occasionally, taken) photos with the flare, glare and attendant loss of contrast caused by no lens hood. But I can't recall a time when a UV or skylight caused any problems.
A Skylight protects the invaluable front element of your lens from damage. If you scratch, chip or damage this piece of glass, the lens is a total loss. You'll never be able to sell it either, at least not for anything near it's (non-damaged) value. You're kaput.
When I'm using another filter like the single most necessary accessory after a camera, lens and skylight filter, a circular polarizer or CPL, I take the skylight off.
Hoyas are a good brand, as is B + W. Tiffens are OK. But for my $$ the absolute top-of-the-line filters (and priced to prove it!) are Marumis;
http://stores.ebay.ca/OEC-Camera-Accessories/Filters-/_i.html?_fsub=595012&_...=p4634.c0.m322
JMO,
Ron
02-06-2012, 07:13 PM   #6

Multicoated UV filter + lens hood, I say.

The filter is easy to clean, and I do get a fair amount of gunk on my filters over the years. The lens hood cuts glare and improves contrast by keeping stray light off the filter and front elements. It also keeps objects away from the front of the lens.
02-06-2012, 07:48 PM   #7
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a nice DA*16-50. I almost always use the hood except when using square filters. At that point I remove a good quality B&W UV that is normally on it also. But somewhere in switching off I must not have been careful enough - a small scratch has appeared in the lens coating. Not big enough to degrade picture quality but ...
And I too don't see any degradation of quality when the UV is on. Maybe I should have left it on -

02-06-2012, 08:42 PM   #8
Veteran Member

For a lens like this I would just put on a metal hood permanently. No filter, no cap, no wide hood that doesn't fit in any camera bag.
02-06-2012, 08:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

You say you want a filter for protection -- from what? Hoods offer considerable protection, and hoods should always be used, to reduce flare, even the flare that always present but much less visible. Hiking through brush with many lenses hoods have protected my lenses for years. However, as anthers said, over time the lens surface does need cleaning more often. Depending on the weather I'd probably use a filter for protection while at the beach -- between shots!

I think anthers gives best advice if you decide a filter is necessary -- get a good one & use the hood with it.
02-06-2012, 11:17 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks so much everyone for your great advice!
One thing everyone seems to agree on is that a cheap filter is a waste; if I put a filter on it should be a good one.
02-07-2012, 06:31 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Drom Quote
I put a filter on it should be a good one
Aye... That's my theory... Like I say... You're very unlikely to see any image degredation...
02-07-2012, 07:16 AM   #12
Veteran Member

How many times have you been scanning through flea bays lense's & the mere mention of a scratched lense & you immediately skip to the next listing.

If you ever think of one day maybe selling a lense, put a good filter on it.

If you can afford to throw away a damaged lense, then theres no real need for a extra piece of glass up front.
02-07-2012, 11:49 AM   #13

Original Poster
OK, you have all convinced me, I should protect the front glass with a good quality filter. If I'm in a situation where I am concerned about any possible loss of IQ, I will just remove it to take the shots.
02-07-2012, 12:27 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Drom Quote
<snip> If I'm in a situation where I am concerned about any possible loss of IQ, I will just remove it to take the shots.

At least until you gain the confidence in your filter choice to believe that it won't degrade your picture.

When choosing remember that true Pentax glass is "Super Multi Coated". Make sure your choice is also (should be a "UV(O)" designation and specify multicoated).
02-07-2012, 03:42 PM   #15

Original Poster
Thank you! This particular lens is the Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 zoom but I would assume the glass has a coating.