Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2012, 01:32 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Hoya R72 Infrared filter

I'm considering picking up a Hoya R72 filter in a 49mm thread as an intro to infrared photography...

Anyone used this filter (sample pictures would be great)? Is it worth 30?
Will I get results with the K-x?

Cheers
Dave

02-07-2012, 01:43 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've used it on film and it worked great- I took a picture of a lamp that was turned off and you could still see the lightbulb

I know I've posted some photos with it, but I can't seem to dig them up unfortunately

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-07-2012, 01:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Cheers Adam... I was thinking for use with K-x never even thought about using it on film!
02-07-2012, 01:56 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've used the filter on a K100 successfully, it's a nice filter. Not sure about using it on the K-x. I tried it on the K7 and didn't get much for reflected IR. Here's the comparison shots, converted the same way to b&w:

K100:

The palm fronds reflect quite a bit of IR light.

Here's the K7, with it's grey leaves, not much for recording reflected IR light:

Also compare the shutter speeds - the K100 was taken at 1/4 sec at f5.6 at ISO 400, while the K7 was taken at 1/6 sec. at f4 and ISO 2000. I don't know if the K-x has as strong an anti-IR filter as the K7 does.

02-07-2012, 01:57 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

i've got a 62mm one i used with 645 film, but nothing i can lay my hands on easily at work

It worked well with true ir film

I keep meaning to try it on digital but mid winter in canada is a less than ideal time
02-07-2012, 01:58 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
I've used the filter on a K100 successfully, it's a nice filter. Not sure about using it on the K-x. I tried it on the K7 and didn't get much for reflected IR. Here's the comparison shots, converted the same way to b&w:

K100:

The palm fronds reflect quite a bit of IR light.

Here's the K7, with it's grey leaves, not much for recording reflected IR light:

Also compare the shutter speeds - the K100 was taken at 1/4 sec at f5.6 at ISO 400, while the K7 was taken at 1/6 sec. at f4 and ISO 2000. I don't know if the K-x has as strong an anti-IR filter as the K7 does.
thanks for those samples, i'll be sure to try it on my K10 and ds not my K7 (come spring )
02-07-2012, 02:12 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Another example, that shows a bit more how the Hoya R72 filter works on the K100 - a composite I made with half being a color picture and half being IR. Thought it was kind-of different.

Eddie - the nice thing about digital is that it doesn't cost anything to try. Maybe you'll have better luck than I did, it's entirely possible there was something different I should have done, beyond setting the custom white balance.

I should get out the K100 and play with the R72 filter again - I got some surprising results every so often. It was great fun, though time-consuming and not for impatient people (takes a fair amount of trial and error).
02-07-2012, 02:15 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I have a K200D (which has the same strong anti-IR coating as a K10D, and probably all the other newer Pentax DSLRs). These are the shots I have taken with my camera and varying 720nm filters (incl Hoya R72, but mostly Citiwide 720nm IR filters)

Hoya R72 - a set on Flickr

You tend not to get the strong reflected IR from plants etc, but you do get great contrast

BTW - awesome composite mtngal!

This is an image comparison I posted on my blog when I got my first IR filter

http://jezza323.com/blog/?p=59

02-07-2012, 02:17 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

mtngal - that is one awesome image there. I've never seen the like on this. Wow.
02-07-2012, 02:21 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
Thought it was kind-of different.
That's brilliant!!

Cheers very much for those examples!

Seen this filter a couple times now and they're going for 20/30 on that auction site... Gonna pick one up come payday...
02-07-2012, 02:22 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
I'm considering picking up a Hoya R72 filter in a 49mm thread as an intro to infrared photography...

Anyone used this filter (sample pictures would be great)? Is it worth 30?
Will I get results with the K-x?

Cheers
Dave
I have one and admit that I rather lost patience with it. Use of the filter still requires some adjustments with software, which I still fail to follow.
Using the filter means blocking out the light obviously which often translates into focusing and then screwing on the filter and long shutter speeds also. The images will not appear as you would think and will require more adjustments with software once out of the camera.
I started using the imitation digital IR filter of the K-7, which should be the same as your K-x, and like those results in many instances.
I should revisit this method of IR photography sometime to get better results.
02-07-2012, 03:19 PM   #12
Site Supporter

I have this filter. Really like it. Used it on both K-x and K5. In both cases filter behaved really good.
Yuriy
02-07-2012, 05:17 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I played with ir a few years back with a point and shoot. At that time at least, the hoya r72 was commonly considered the best all around and commonly available filter. There was another filter that would block even more light (pretty sure it was one of the b&h ones) but it generally was difficult to use with digital, in particular because they tended to have ir block filters built in. Some that do it more seriously will remove the ir filter from the camera (sometimes replacing it with regular optical glass if necessary). You can also get a lesser effect with a combination of reg and green filters (red 25 and green x1 are what I have in the cabinet so that must have been what I used).
The yahoo group for ir photography is pretty active (I only spent a little bit of time around there but never stoped messages and I now seem to have over 17000 messages from there...
Infrared_Photography : Infrared Photography Digital and Film
there are also forums dedicated to it. Here is one that seems to be active
irphotocom - Home
There is no telling what setting these were taken at or what post processing was done but but here are a few mostly out of the camera shots with an canon a70 point and shoot. I'm just posting these as an example of what you might get, not that its good work.
ir1 Photo Gallery by Richard Homeyer at pbase.com
ir2 Photo Gallery by Richard Homeyer at pbase.com
ir3 Photo Gallery by Richard Homeyer at pbase.com
I never could duplicate some of the cool effects that I saw others do (most likely due to the cameras ir cut filter) so I eventually gave up. One of these years I'm going to see what they will do with on my ist-ds, or perhaps more interestingly on my sony v1 since it has an ir night scene mode that pulls the internal ir filter out of the way. The kids have all but trashed my canon a40 (I let them use it) so maybe it would be a good candidate to tear apart and remove the filter (then again I would most likely break it trying).
02-07-2012, 05:20 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote
I have one and admit that I rather lost patience with it. Use of the filter still requires some adjustments with software, which I still fail to follow.
Using the filter means blocking out the light obviously which often translates into focusing and then screwing on the filter and long shutter speeds also. The images will not appear as you would think and will require more adjustments with software once out of the camera.
I started using the imitation digital IR filter of the K-7, which should be the same as your K-x, and like those results in many instances.
I should revisit this method of IR photography sometime to get better results.
Did focusing and then screwing the filter on give decent results? I was under the impression that ir light focused at a slightly different point than visible light. I was kind of wondering if an old manual lens with ir focus markings might be worth a try?
02-07-2012, 07:50 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

jezza - your pictures are awesome! I'm going to have to get out with my trusty K100 and filter some more.

ripit - Auto focus seemed to work pretty well through this filter (I used the kit lens mostly). It sometimes seemed a bit off, but it did better than I did with a manual focus lens and guessing the difference.

The composite picture was fun - I was using a tripod (a necessity with a non-modified camera) and so I took one picture in color then screwed on the filter and took another. When I got home I took both photos, put them both on different layers and then used a layer mask with a gradient to allow the lower layer to show through part of the picture, the gradient making a more gentle transition between the two pictures. The hardest part of that was making sure that I chose to do the transition where the clouds more or less matched.