Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2012, 02:44 PM   #1
Forum Member

sdhc card

i have a k20d , w/ 4gb scndisk card . problem - when i turn off camera and turn back on all pictures are gone . i put the card in my computer and nothing.
am i doing some thing wrong,?
do i have a bad card ( card is only 2 wks old)?
is there a setting i need to change?
please help just got camera a couple weeks ago and am having a great time with it. till now.
thanks

02-07-2012, 02:54 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by retired2007 Quote
i have a k20d , w/ 4gb scndisk card . problem - when i turn off camera and turn back on all pictures are gone . i put the card in my computer and nothing.
am i doing some thing wrong,?
do i have a bad card ( card is only 2 wks old)?
is there a setting i need to change?
please help just got camera a couple weeks ago and am having a great time with it. till now.
thanks
You said you got this camera couple weeks ago, were you able to save images back then? When did the problem arise?

Did you mistakenly lock the write switch on the SD card? Have you tried another card?
02-07-2012, 02:57 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
yes it worked fine . the card is not locked. i have not yet tried another card.
02-07-2012, 03:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Test the card on computer & see what happen. Would be much easier to try another card.

02-07-2012, 09:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just some ideas
1) Did you format the card in the camera? If not, do so and try again.
2) Go to a decent camera shop or to a neighbor that also owns a camera and ask if you / they can test the card in another camera. The result should indicate if the problem is your camera or your card.
3) Take some photos, do not switch the camera of and check if you can review all of them on the camera <play> button, <left> on the four-way controller.
4a) Using a computer, write some files to it, safely remove it, insert it and check if they are still there (and not corrupted).
4b) Repeat with huge files (or a large number of smaller files) and fill the card; some counterfeit cards state that they are 4GB, but are only 2GB.

There are counterfeit Sandisk cards around; do not buy them from ebay unless the supplier has a proven record. I only buy in brick-and-mortar stores.

On Linux, you can use a program called 'badblocks' to check the card, for Windows there is a program called 'h2testw' (download it from the web); I don't have experience with either but they might help to determine if the card is OK.

Good luck.
02-08-2012, 04:40 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
thanks
got a new card today and works great. i guess you get what you pay for . no more e by specials for me .
thanks again
02-08-2012, 05:47 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Try not to buy off eBay unless you know they're reliable especially for the Photo specific brands Lexar, Sandisc...there's a rash of fakes found.
Try instead Amazon, Newegg or any of the retailers on here like B&H, Adorama...there's also shopbot and NextTAG sites to search for deals.

Welcome to the forums

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/97599-free-ma...opaz-labs.html
02-09-2012, 05:47 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
thanks