Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2012, 04:45 PM   #1

K200 file numbering system.

I've been copying images from SD Cards to my 'new' laptop (as I lost the images when the old laptop hard drive 'died').

I had to go back and dig out the SD cards which I had kept and not re-used.

The Pentax K200 allocates a fresh folder to every day.

That would be fine, but when I copy the folders over to the laptop, Windows 7 redates these with the date 'modified' - ie whenever I have copied the file - which means that when I sort them into date order, the files aren't in picture exposure order, and when I sort them numerically I end up with all the folders in what seems to be a random order as far as date of exposure is concerned.

Of course I could strip out the files from the folders, but I thought that leaving them in the folders would help me to find files quicker.

I have folders numbered from 100_1505 to 122_1109 with 100_3110 and 121_1109 in between.
The sequence seems to progress with date though not year specific (121_1109 to 122_1109 on 11th September 2011 and 103_2111 contains images from 21st September 2010 so I suppose the second set of digits are dates).

Oh, and I've passed IMGP9999 (119_1009) and started again at IMGP0001 (120_1009) so stripping out the images from the folders wouldn't work (and I would lose the 'folder' facility).

I could rename the folders with dates as names, but that's going to be pretty tedious!

I guess that my bitch is with Microsoft and Windows 7 for using the modification date rather than the original date . . .

02-07-2012, 05:55 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wait a second, there has to be a creation date too. I'm in Linux right now so I can't tell you for sure, but in "Details" view, right-click one of the headers and a menu should appear allowing you to select more criteria, even EXIF info. I'm almost certain that "Date created" is one of them. Pretty cool, isn't it?
02-07-2012, 06:02 PM   #3

Original Poster
For folders copied over, the creation date is the date of transfer from the SD card to the laptop.
02-07-2012, 06:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Oh, I think you're right. Have you tried this: make a zip archive on the card with your folders (when you zip them, the dates will be kept), then move the archive on your computer and unzip it there. If you're lucky, you'll still have your original dates.

02-07-2012, 10:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can only create an archive (zip) on a memory card if there's enough space. But you can indeed create the archive straight onto the hard disk and unzip it there again. Not sure though if the archiver that comes with Windows can do this; you might need a dedicated program.
02-08-2012, 09:25 AM   #6

I use a separate managoer. . but I also went away from a flat structure- now I have a year directory. This would probably let you sort on the name and get the correct order. Doesn't take too long to split them up!
I also have a copied-over folder, so mine look something like this-

Pictures/2010/Imgp2010-01-31/100-1505 (and 100-1506, etc, whatever else was on the card on 2010-01-31)

The Imgp is a leftover from my first digital P&S. Kept it to allow simpler sorting, before I broke out the years.
02-08-2012, 09:35 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Folder = yymmdd

replace IMG in file name with yymmdd it was shot.

Now everything will sort chronologically :-)

This is handy...

Flexible Renamer
02-08-2012, 10:18 AM   #8
Veteran Member

@markdesmarais and SpecialK

I think both of you are missing the point of the problem. Your advise is about how to organize, not how to get stuff of a memory card where date info is incomplete in the filename / directory name.

02-08-2012, 01:05 PM   #9

No, I don't think so- the OP discusses sorting by name, and even renaming each folder with a date as possible solutions... to me, that doesn't indicate that the file date is all that important- just having a way to sort through them. . .
02-08-2012, 10:22 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by markdesmarais Quote
No, I don't think so- the OP discusses sorting by name, and even renaming each folder with a date as possible solutions... to me, that doesn't indicate that the file date is all that important- just having a way to sort through them. . .
It is as far as I can see from below quote. He can have a directory 100-0209 on a memory card from 2011 and a directory 102-0209 from 2010 on another memory card. Copy both to the PC (first the one from 2011 and next the one from 2010) and he has no means of reliably sorting them in the date order of when the images were taken; the 100/102 is no indication, the (internal) date of the directory on the HD is no indication.

QuoteOriginally posted by G-CPTN Quote
That would be fine, but when I copy the folders over to the laptop, Windows 7 redates these with the date 'modified' - ie whenever I have copied the file - which means that when I sort them into date order, the files aren't in picture exposure order, and when I sort them numerically I end up with all the folders in what seems to be a random order as far as date of exposure is concerned.
02-09-2012, 09:46 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
It is as far as I can see from below quote. He can have a directory 100-0209 on a memory card from 2011 and a directory 102-0209 from 2010 on another memory card. Copy both to the PC (first the one from 2011 and next the one from 2010) and he has no means of reliably sorting them in the date order of when the images were taken; the 100/102 is no indication, the (internal) date of the directory on the HD is no indication.
Right, but there is no way to have two directories named 102-0209 in the same directory anyways- sorting is a moot point, they can't co-exist. ;-)

But to tweak your example just a bit- if the 2010 was 102-0209, and the 2011 was 102-0208, they could be in the same directory, and a name sort would not get them in the right order, and a date sort would not either because of the copy problem.

My solution is to not try to have a flat structure- by adding a directory layer of year, both of these sample issues go away. If you go to a given year and do a name sort, you would get a correct chronological order since the name of the directory indicates shooting order.

Even if you could fix the date issue, your sample breaks the flat directory model.

BTW there are applications that could change the create dates on folders- like this one-

BulkFileChanger: Change date/time/attributes of multiple files

I used it in the past for something, darned if I can remember what though! ;-)
As long as the OP was willing to use an app like this, it would be pretty straight-forward (although quite tedious) to re-date the directories.
02-09-2012, 10:58 AM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
Your advise is about how to organize, not how to get stuff of a memory card where date info is incomplete in the filename / directory name.
Copy the files, not the directories.