Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2012, 01:44 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K100D lens compatibility question

I have a pentax k100d with the 18-55mm lens. In my search for lenses which can help me "bring the moon closer", I have found several of them. For example: Vivitar MC 80-200mm f/4.5 pentax K mount, Vivitar MC 80-200/4,5 manual focus pentax PK mount, COSINA MC 80-200mm f4,5-5,6 MACRO pentax PK mount etc. Well, the seller only says theat the lens is P mount, PK mount, etc. The question is: do this lenses fit on my k100d? I'm a newbie...

02-08-2012, 01:56 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Any K-Mount lens will work with the K100D.

Pentax K mount - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Be careful of 'KR', 'R-K', or 'PK-AR' lenses. They may have the dread "Ricoh Pin" that can get stuck in the AF screw-drive.

BTW, if you want to get good moon shots you are going to need more than 200mm.
02-08-2012, 02:07 PM   #3
cif
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks boriscleto for clarification. I guess i'll stay away from any 'R' type lenses
One more question. it may sound stupid, but... a 18-200mm lens covers the 18-55mm lens and the 50-200mm lens? as 2 lenses in 1 lens?
02-08-2012, 02:18 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cif Quote
Thanks boriscleto for clarification. I guess i'll stay away from any 'R' type lenses
One more question. it may sound stupid, but... a 18-200mm lens covers the 18-55mm lens and the 50-200mm lens? as 2 lenses in 1 lens?
Those are known as "superzoom" lenses - they cover a wide range of focal lengths. The best ones are probably the Pentax and Tamron 18-250. What will you be shooting? For wildlife you'll probably want 300mm. There are some decent, inexpensive 70-300 zooms from Sigma & Tamron. Some have better IQ than others. A good match for your kit lens would be the DA or DA-L 55-300. Probably the best of the long 'consumer' zooms.

02-08-2012, 03:04 PM   #5
cif
Veteran Member

Original Poster
ok, thanks paulh now i know what to look for
02-08-2012, 04:26 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Look here for some ideas for bringing the moon closer.http:www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/46612-shooting-moon.html
02-08-2012, 09:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I know you're looking at older stuff, but a little note regarding newer lenses:

Your K100D does not support SDM, so your lenses need to have screwdrive for the AF. Autofocus lens that don't have a screw drive (like the DA17-70) can only be manually focused.
02-08-2012, 10:13 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Hi Cif,

I have a k100d and a megazoom. I have the sigma 18-200 and it is effectively like having my two kit lenses in one. I'm very happy with this lens as it allows me to shoot just about anything I require - except for birding. I'm currently using the megazoom for Singles in February and most of my recent shots have all been taken with the megazoom. I think we often frequent the same threads, so I'm just mentioning it in case you spot one of mine and want to know how the sigma renders.

Good luck with your search!

02-09-2012, 02:04 AM   #9
cif
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks all for help wolfiegirl, the 18-200 lens sounds realy good to me

Last edited by cif; 02-09-2012 at 02:22 AM.
02-09-2012, 02:13 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cif Quote
Thanks all for help wolfiegirl, the 18-200 lens sound realy good to me
good luck with it! when i was looking for my megazoom my budget only allowed for either a tamron or a sigma. i ended up putting a wanted ad in the marketplace and the sigma was what I was offered. my research (with some much appreciated help from some forum members) suggested the tamron is slightly better in terms of IQ, but honestly, from my current use of the sigma, I wouldn't know any different. I'm pretty happy with the results I'm getting atm, although I'm not sure I could recommend this as a macro lens... Anyways, for me the versatility, contrast, colour rendition and iq is more than sufficient for what i do as an amateur. that's my two cents anyway.

happy LBA'ing
02-09-2012, 07:32 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
good luck with it! when i was looking for my megazoom my budget only allowed for either a tamron or a sigma. i ended up putting a wanted ad in the marketplace and the sigma was what I was offered. my research (with some much appreciated help from some forum members) suggested the tamron is slightly better in terms of IQ, but honestly, from my current use of the sigma, I wouldn't know any different. I'm pretty happy with the results I'm getting atm, although I'm not sure I could recommend this as a macro lens... Anyways, for me the versatility, contrast, colour rendition and iq is more than sufficient for what i do as an amateur. that's my two cents anyway.

happy LBA'ing
It seems like you got a good one, wg - I like the sharpness on those antique car shots, and the chickens, too
02-09-2012, 04:00 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
It seems like you got a good one, wg - I like the sharpness on those antique car shots, and the chickens, too
yeah, really happy with my copy. i am surprised at how sharp it gets in the mid range, and there is sharpness at 200, just not necessarily across the whole shot.

here's one I took on the k100d that's been cropped slightly at 200mm with ISO @ 1600 (I was under the forest canopy and it was daaark)

yeah.. chickens, not hens or roosters. just chickens.. my neighbour had a good chuckle when I said rooster.