Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2012, 09:29 PM   #1
Forum Member

A Few Questions about Fisheyes, Samyang 8mm

I'm pretty interested in getting a fisheye lens but since it's not really a lens I would use all the time I don't really want to spend too much money on it, which leads me to the Samyang 8mm 3.5. I've read a few mixed reviews on this lens so i'm a bit skeptical. What are others thoughts on this lens? Should I consider something else?

Also I wanted to know more about this lens if anyone has any information please share.
Carl Zeiss Jena (Jenazoom) 35-70mm 3.5-4.5 with macro 1:6-1:4

Thanks,
Damon.

02-08-2012, 09:41 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you seen the reviews of the 8mm? A lot of people seem to like it!
Samyang 8mm F3.5 Fisheye CS Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-09-2012, 03:24 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
I didn't look at them all but wow, they're generally great, it seems like a good choice for me comparing it's price to the competitions ~$500+ price range. Now i'll just have to keep an eye one for one going cheap that's close to me and i'll be sweet. Thanks Adam.

Also do you happen to know anything about that other lens? It's really bugging me.
02-09-2012, 06:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think you can get the Pentax 10-17mm around that price used. Fun lens.

02-09-2012, 08:58 AM   #5
Site Supporter

I have the Samyang and it's fun, but frankly I don't use it often so I think you're right to not want to spend much money. I got mine (Bower branded) for around $220 new. I have been toying with the idea of selling it, but when I do use it, I find it fun, so it's sitting around in my camera bag for now.

The image quality is very good, it's quite sharp and produces very nice colors. It's very easy to use. If you set it on f8 and put the distance ring at 1m, pretty much everything is in focus. The wideness of 8mm can be disarming! I have to be careful not to get my legs/feet/hands in the shots!
02-09-2012, 02:11 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
but frankly I don't use it often so I think you're right to not want to spend much money
This is the reason I haven't bought one yet!
02-09-2012, 05:53 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
I'll have a think about my lens priority's and decide, I definitely can see a fisheye getting boring if it's overused, the effect would probably get boring. If I do i'm pretty set on the Samyang, seems like a great lens for the price.

Thanks guys,
Damon.
02-09-2012, 06:24 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damon Quote
If I do i'm pretty set on the Samyang, seems like a great lens for the price.
Yeah... From what I've heard the loss of AF isn't really an issue with fisheye lenses.

02-09-2012, 08:01 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
I don't know if anyone will be able to answer this but I don't really want to make another thread if I can help it but if I had a SMC Pentax-A 1.2 50mm with a really damaged front element would it be possible to replace it with a clean front element from another lens eg SMC Pentax M 1.7 or something and get the same results as the original piece of glass? (I don't really know anything about the mechanics of lenses so I really don't know if this would work but I just thought I'd ask)

Thanks,
Damon.
02-10-2012, 06:18 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Damon Quote
I don't know if anyone will be able to answer this but I don't really want to make another thread if I can help it but if I had a SMC Pentax-A 1.2 50mm with a really damaged front element would it be possible to replace it with a clean front element from another lens eg SMC Pentax M 1.7 or something and get the same results as the original piece of glass? (I don't really know anything about the mechanics of lenses so I really don't know if this would work but I just thought I'd ask)

Thanks,
Damon.
simple answer is no. it is not even a question of mechanics but math.

F1.7 means the lens focal length / diameter = 1.7 or specifically the front element is about 30mm in diameter

F1.2 means focal length / diameter = 1.2 or specifically the front element is about 42mm in diameter.

even if everything else was the same the different front element would limit the lens to F1.7
02-10-2012, 07:13 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

I bought a 10-17 used for about $400, IIRC, after renting one over the holidays a couple years back. I really like it. It's more versatile than you might think, because it's not super-fishy at 17mm. I haven't regretted that purchase in the least. If you take lots of pictures of kids or dogs (or both) playing, you'll like its close-focus ability.

Having said that, I wouldn't mind playing with a prime fisheye sometime myself...