Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
02-12-2012, 01:52 PM   #31

Last year a thread was started requesting us to post links to instructional photography sites and book recommendations for beginners. I posted a list of links to free instructional sites and other people contributed with some good book recommendations, the thread didn't see a lot of action, but it's still worth a look.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/161618-photogr...ml#post1675277

02-14-2012, 05:13 PM   #32

Photos: Albums
The book Understanding Exposure 3rd edition by Bryan Peterson also has corresponding online videos. It is also available for the nook color ( probably for the kindle also, but not sure).
02-15-2012, 06:58 AM   #33

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeliaRana Quote
The book Understanding Exposure 3rd edition by Bryan Peterson also has corresponding online videos. It is also available for the nook color ( probably for the kindle also, but not sure).
thanks - that is one of the books i have on order, might get it by Friday. (fingers crossed)
03-06-2012, 07:51 PM   #34

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kaiserz Quote
Wonderful. Once you get the book, and start reading it. You'll understand why you need to up the ISO or why the shutter speed has to be like this, or has to be like that. there are so many questions that will be answered, and it will let you understand the basic principles of photography. Also this book, once you understand it, will make you seek more knowledge, and thus the youtube videos that before doesn't make sense, will finally make sense. I love this book because Peterson did a good job on communicating with the reader. He'll be like your friend teaching you the basics, not like this photographer guy who'll talk you using big words/jargons that you have no idea what they mean or stands for. IMHO that book was one of the best $20 dollars I spent in my life.

And also, Flash is your friend if you know how to use it. Some people are against flash, and would only use natural light to shoot, but believe me when I tell you, that a good flash with the proper knowledge can and will bring you awesome pictures. (But I'm against the built in flash though...)

Also with you current lenses I believe that you will really need to get a flash or invest on faster lenses. The fastest lens you have in your arsenal is the DA 35 2.4. I have this lens and I also have the K-r. I suggest that if you're planning to shoot inside the house, to try upping the ISO 800 - 1600 and 3200 if you really have to (I usually play with my ISO and aperture to achieve the desired shutter speed) aperture will be set to 3.5 (because it's the sharpest aperture for the DA 35 2.4) but I usually go to 2.8 and 2.4 If the light available is really bad. Your target shutter speed is 1/35 or faster.

What mode do you shoot? Because I have an assignment for you. try experimenting with your DA 35 on Av mode, set your ISO to 1600 and your aperture to F2.4 and just go around the house, but I also want you to check your shutter speed.

Regards
-kaiserz
thank you so much - I have the book, and it is wonderful, and very helpful. I took your advice and took indoor photos around the house (during the day) with my little lens and was pretty pleased with the outcome. I do find that when I take photos indoor with out daylight pouring through the windows, the photos seem yellowish. Also when i have my ISO up past 400 people look grainy and I can't seem to edit the photos back to life. (any suggestions there?) thanks again to everybody for their advice, it was all great.

03-09-2012, 03:10 AM   #35
Forum Member

Nice

I think everyone has posted nice comments. I've learned a ton just seeing what works and doesn't work from those more experiencedthan me in these forums, and it seems you take that to heart as well.

One thing I would add that as far as showing your work, it's really nice to do that in a live classroom, in person. As a design student (albeit a distantly related field), I find that a huge component of my development is through critiques, and that's something that just doesn't feel the same through an online course (which is just ok, not necessarily bad). Listening to other artists and designers speak, it seems they share a lot of the same insecurities that others face as artists, and that's something we have to face at some point in order to grow.

Keep on keepin' on.

Last edited by ICTUS TACTUS; 03-09-2012 at 03:12 AM. Reason: Grammar is sublime.
03-26-2012, 07:04 PM   #36

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeliaRana Quote
You said that your area doesn't have a camera club or schools that teach a basic course. Here in Georgia a gentleman at the Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge offers photography workshops for each season. You may be able to find something similar in your area. Try local parks or scenic areas, they may offer photo workshops.
well my bad! , I found a photography club, and a few classes (mini workshops) that I have signed up for. Very excitied. I have been reading Understanding Exposure and practicing every chance I get. If I end up taking the course online, I will let you all know if I get my money's worth. thanks you all for your advice.
04-25-2012, 01:29 AM   #37
Inactive Account

Hi There!
I just find out that great Moose Peterson in the middle of may starts new online class @ PhotoRishi dot com. I think i will take this training about Creating the finished image - as he wrote at his official site. What do you think about photorishi platform? anyone used it? It's not only Peterson's that can lead you, they have many more "Rishi's". What do u think about those kind of online classes? For me it's quite attractive.
BEST
Peter

04-25-2012, 07:42 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PeterB Quote
Hi There!
I just find out that great Moose Peterson in the middle of may starts new online class @ PhotoRishi dot com. I think i will take this training about Creating the finished image - as he wrote at his official site. What do you think about photorishi platform? anyone used it? It's not only Peterson's that can lead you, they have many more "Rishi's". What do u think about those kind of online classes? For me it's quite attractive.
BEST
Peter
I say if you have nothing to lose, why not (:? Have fun!