Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
02-09-2012, 03:13 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
online courses good? bad?

Pricing Plans – Fundamentals of Digital Photography

[NYIP is this a waste of money? has anybody taken it?
]I am looking at the Fundamentals of digital photography course.
Are there any online courses that you would recommend?[
I do not have access to a school or a local club.
I live in a small town in Northen BC, and our college teaches one, (once in a while) but it is basically how to turn your camera on. thank you for any info you can give me.

Last edited by tweet25; 04-25-2012 at 12:19 PM.
02-09-2012, 03:22 PM - 1 Like   #2

Why not save your money and do it on your own. You can always join a forum and post some shots for critique.

Photography Tutorials & Tips

Digital Photography Tutorials

Digital Photography Tips and Tutorials

A Beginner's Guide to Simple Photography Concepts: ISO, Aperture, and Shutter Speed - Tutorials

Photography Tutorials

Then there are dozens if not hundreds of you tube videos.
02-09-2012, 03:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Are you one that doesn't learn well from a book or a website? I learned a ton just by reading this forum.
02-09-2012, 03:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Youtube is your friend...

02-09-2012, 05:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've never done any kind of class before, however, I don't think you'd be disappointed after going through the program. If it were $1,000 then I'd advise differently.
02-09-2012, 05:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

If you have the money why not? I say go for it.

Or you can grab peterson's Understanding exposure.

Last edited by kaiserz; 02-09-2012 at 05:58 PM.
02-09-2012, 06:48 PM   #7

I haven't taken any of that type of course. Our local Camera Club has brought in an 'expert' to run a workshop occasionally though. I learn a lot here and appreciate the willingness of the more experienced to assist and encourage the less experienced. Photography seems to lend itself well to that sort of thing - some people are good at composotion, others are whizzes at the technology - there seems to be room for everyone.

If your small town is big enough for a college it is big enough for a Camera Club. Why not put up some posters and see if you can find other people to spend time with using and talking about cameras? Some colleges also belong to a wider community that offers online learning - ours does Photoshop lessons, among other things.

02-09-2012, 08:46 PM   #8

Original Poster
thank you all for your input & links. I have joined 3 forums, and I feel like I am 14 again with homework every night... lol... I read and read, and practice.

But there are things I just don't get. Like 'don't use your flash indoor, increase your ISO" but I end up with horrible grainy photos that I can't seem to fix with

editing. That is just one of many many questions. I am torn between finding a good value course or a new lens ... :-( .. PS - there was a photography club here a few years back, but it fizzled out. (population here is about 11,000)
02-09-2012, 09:10 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I would invest on the $30 book first, If you feel that you still need more, then go for the course. Also what lenses and gear do you have so far?
02-10-2012, 03:33 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

If you are determined to do some online courses, take a look at Kelby Training Online. They offer a 1 month sign-up option that is inexpensive and allows you time to view several of the introductory classes.
02-10-2012, 07:13 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kaiserz Quote
I would invest on the $30 book first, If you feel that you still need more, then go for the course. Also what lenses and gear do you have so far?
hi - I have K-r 18-55 kit lens, an older FA80-320, older F 35-80, and DA 35mm AL, (3 wierd add on lens that i got from amazon, they just go on the end of my lens, fish-eye one, wide angel and macros) but they were cheap and i think a waste of money, I have an older flash and a tripod. I use GIMP and PhotScape, to edit.
I will look for that book. I bought a few and they are on my Kindle, but it is not handy, I think i would need a paper version, so I will look for the one you recommended. I only have a few of the "photography for dummies".

thanks again to all for you advice
02-10-2012, 07:15 AM   #12

Although I learn a lot on forums I also learn a lot from other photographers in real life. I live in a small town (less than 5,000 residents). There is an active Camera Club with about fifteen members, male and female, about thirty to seventy age range. The next small town down the highway has a similar number of participants in their Camera Club.

A Club has several advantages - you can encourage each other, share knowledge, bring in instructors for a weekend, go on trips together, compare cameras, help each other with settings, have Exhibitions of your work etc.
02-10-2012, 07:43 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tweet25 Quote
Like 'don't use your flash indoor, increase your ISO"
Wherever you got that from can go bo****ks! I use flash indoors regularly and with (imo) great results...

Seriously... Youtube can be used as a really valuable resource... There are some great (and very poor) tutorials and lectures on there if you dig around a bit...
02-10-2012, 09:42 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are other sources that I would look at first, many have been suggested. $350 is a LOT in this day and age, particularly with the YouTube and other online resources already mentioned.

I tend to think that Scott Peterson's work is first rate in practical teaching of good technique and also find Scott Kelby's work to be a good starting point. Kelby has a LOT of online support both for shooting photographs AND for editing them. Many of his books are available for very little used. Peterson's Field Guide is excellent and I believe that his books also come with free access to many of his online lessons too.
02-10-2012, 09:59 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tweet25 Quote
hi - I have K-r 18-55 kit lens, an older FA80-320, older F 35-80, and DA 35mm AL, (3 wierd add on lens that i got from amazon, they just go on the end of my lens, fish-eye one, wide angel and macros) but they were cheap and i think a waste of money, I have an older flash and a tripod. I use GIMP and PhotScape, to edit.
I will look for that book. I bought a few and they are on my Kindle, but it is not handy, I think i would need a paper version, so I will look for the one you recommended. I only have a few of the "photography for dummies".

thanks again to all for you advice

Wonderful. Once you get the book, and start reading it. You'll understand why you need to up the ISO or why the shutter speed has to be like this, or has to be like that. there are so many questions that will be answered, and it will let you understand the basic principles of photography. Also this book, once you understand it, will make you seek more knowledge, and thus the youtube videos that before doesn't make sense, will finally make sense. I love this book because Peterson did a good job on communicating with the reader. He'll be like your friend teaching you the basics, not like this photographer guy who'll talk you using big words/jargons that you have no idea what they mean or stands for. IMHO that book was one of the best $20 dollars I spent in my life.

And also, Flash is your friend if you know how to use it. Some people are against flash, and would only use natural light to shoot, but believe me when I tell you, that a good flash with the proper knowledge can and will bring you awesome pictures. (But I'm against the built in flash though...)

Also with you current lenses I believe that you will really need to get a flash or invest on faster lenses. The fastest lens you have in your arsenal is the DA 35 2.4. I have this lens and I also have the K-r. I suggest that if you're planning to shoot inside the house, to try upping the ISO 800 - 1600 and 3200 if you really have to (I usually play with my ISO and aperture to achieve the desired shutter speed) aperture will be set to 3.5 (because it's the sharpest aperture for the DA 35 2.4) but I usually go to 2.8 and 2.4 If the light available is really bad. Your target shutter speed is 1/35 or faster.

What mode do you shoot? Because I have an assignment for you. try experimenting with your DA 35 on Av mode, set your ISO to 1600 and your aperture to F2.4 and just go around the house, but I also want you to check your shutter speed.

Regards
-kaiserz