Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2012, 09:07 AM   #1

Crumpler Cupcake Vs Muffin Top

Hi everyone,

I am looking to purchase my first camera bag/backpack and seem to be in a bit of a bind. I don't have a lot of gear. All I have now is my K-5 and 2 lenses. I do intend to get a flash and a battery grip when I have saved up some more and probably one more lens. As of the moment though, I want to get a back pack that can carry my gear plus the future ones I intend to get and a 15" laptop.

I guess that is why I was looking for a backpack since I want a bit of both worlds; a camera bag and a pack to place some bits and bobs for my everyday use. I stumbled upon a bunch of backpacks from the Lowepro photo sport 200 AW to the compurover and Kata range of bags. I also came across Crumpler, which I have to say sort of appeals most to me. As others have put it, I like how it does not scream I have a camera with me.

With that in mind, I narrowed my choice to the Crumpler half photo backpack range. I came across the Cupcake (which has a great ad on youtube) and the Muffin Top as well (both the half photo backpack variants). The thing is, I can't seem to find them in the stores over here anymore and hence can't get a good comparison of the 2. On the net, the muffin top comes out cheaper than the cupcake and looking at the sizing info, the difference is negligible. I was wonderign if anyone has either of the bags and if so, what your thoughts are?

Thanks so much for taking the time to read and reply to my post guys

02-12-2012, 02:47 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chuck-e-cheese Quote
I don't have a lot of gear.
That will inevitably change... I don't know anyone with 'the perfect bag'... I have about 5 at the moment, none of them are perfect...

I'd get a first bag that's just a little to big... That gives you room to fill it with your next couple of purchases...

I personally dream of a '3-bag-set-up' :
1)The car bag - A big shoulder bag that can hold everything I own...
2)The city bag - A shoulder bag to hold camera and lens (prime) with room for a spare lens (prime or zoom) and a flash...
3)The trekking bag - A rucksack to hold camera, 2/3 lenses, filters, STUFF and hold the tripod...
02-12-2012, 02:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

It's very hard to judge a bag on the web with pictures, it's better to actually see them in real life if you can.

I've a crumpler bag and they are sturdy but heavy though.

And indeed you end up with more bags over time.
I've 3 now as well with the same arrangement as Dave Holmes.
02-13-2012, 09:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you can't find the Crumpler, look at Think Tank. Their shoulder bags don't even have a logo showing on the outside. They are just as bomb proof and have a similar look to Crumpler's. I have the Retrospective 5, and as Anvh said, the bag is heavier than most camera bags of the same size. Lowepro now has a canvas looking line of messenger bags, that might be lighter. Haven't seen one in person.

Like Dave and Anvh, I have 3 bags: a big rolling rucksack that holds everything, a smaller size pack for day hikes and the shoulder bag for street photography.

02-14-2012, 12:29 PM   #5

Original Poster
hmmm, judging from your replies it does seem that there isn't 1 perfect bag. in addition, the fact that you guys have more than one carrying case/apparatus/bag does point toward a variety of gear you all have. i am now wondering if i will one day end up like this...what have i gotten myself into hehehehe
02-20-2012, 09:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I'm only busy for 3 years now...

I also have the retrospective 5 and i like it.
most of the time i carry the K5 + 16-50 + 50-135 + flash with it but i can add my audio gear to that quite easily or another lens.

This is just light enough for a shoulder bag, i wouldn't go bigger if you plan to actually walk some distance with it.

The bag doesn't look like a camera bag at all but the bag is different from most bags though.
The bag is kind of floppy so when you start to walk you do feel the gear somewhat settle into their place and that's quite good since its secure that way.
Other bags like the crumpler are harder so the gear is more loose in them if you don't adjust the spacers right.

However it can't carry your laptop though.

If you're looking for something comfy and light as a backpack look at Kata, the bumblebee is rather big though but that also have a mini model of that one now.

Last edited by Anvh; 02-20-2012 at 09:25 PM.
02-20-2012, 09:20 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have way too many bags. There is no such thing as a perfect bag. I pack a bag, based on where/what I am shooting and the equipment I want to take. It drives me CRAZY.
02-20-2012, 09:21 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I call it BBA - Bag Buying Addiction.

02-22-2012, 05:01 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
I call it BBA - Bag Buying Addiction.
Absolubtly... But only by buying many bags can we work out what kind of bags we really need...
02-22-2012, 09:09 PM   #10
Forum Member

I agree there is no "perfect bag". I have a Crumpler 7 Million Dollar Home - a Bagman ripoff 5 Million Dollar Home, a Kata Backpack and a Lowepro Backpack. Different bags for taking different amounts of gear with different amounts of walking involved - but I really should get rid of the Lowepro bag - just too small now. However, I did come into say that Crumpler gear is really good quality and you wont be dissapointed - just need to see a review - and see how much gear will fit!