Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2012, 10:33 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Could we get a sticky with the basics of photography?

I mean the REAL basics, like what effects turning ISO up and down has, and what effects faster and slower shutter speed has on moving objects or lighting, and what effects F stop has such as depth of field and such.
And I don't mean strung out over 14 replies and a discussion, I mean a moderator made simply formatted 1st post says it all message.

Most of the basic laws and effects of photography could be summarized on one quick reference sheet and considering the number of posts in this forum from people (admittedly often like me) who don't even understand the fundamentals yet, I think it would be very helpful, especially if it actually included a printable version of a well formatted sheet for quick reference when people are out and about learning.

02-13-2012, 10:55 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Something like this?
02-14-2012, 12:22 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
That's a good article, it has a lot of the info I was talking about with the simple bullet point way of displaying it. Kind of a strange place to look for basic help though, most people seem to see the big "Beginners Corner Q&A" as soon as they hit the forums. I see several other articles in there that would be useful for photography beginners too, I guess its just a matter of getting that info to people who don't know the site, maybe give it a bit more priority or a different heading in the Useful Pentax/Photo resources sticky with a brief explanation so it doesn't get lost in the list and people realize that's where the basic info is. Sorta a "PEOPLE NEW TO PHOTOGRAPHY GO HERE!" in flashing neon letters. I actually wouldn't have found it if you hadn't pointed it out, but then perhaps I'm just a bit slow

EDIT: another helpful one:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photography-articles/115942-beginners-art...enclature.html
2nd edit: ok apparently some people are slower than I am, you might even need to explain how to use a forum in the first place from the looks of the responses in that link i just posted. I also see that the info seems to be scattered across several different articles as others noted.

Last edited by PPPPPP42; 02-14-2012 at 12:32 AM.
02-14-2012, 08:28 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

While it is a good idea, a lot of the beginners Q&A relates specifically to people asking pentax specific questions relating to their new toy (for lack of a better description) although there are lots of questions about basic technique as well.

There is also the forum on techniques

Photographic Technique - PentaxForums.com

and this is where a sticky could go, with pointers / links to posts with each basic topic.

I have often commented that there is enough good data here on the forums to write a photo book, but it wouold be a daunting task for the editors

02-14-2012, 09:18 PM   #5

A similar thread was started last year to compile a list of web resources and books for people new to photography. I put forth a list of links to web resources, the first two of witch are links to two sites that have a camera simulator to visualize different aspects of photography such as aperture, shutter speed, and ISO (film speed on the simulators). The thread didn't see much action and my post will be easy to find, the thread is only one page. Don't be afraid to experiment with different settings on your own, it's a good way to learn, and with digital it only costs you your time. Good luck.

Here's the link:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/161618-photogr...ml#post1675277
02-15-2012, 08:32 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I still think it all comes back to a single thread, managed by a forum member who goes through all the individual threads and systematically makes links to each thread or post that rather nicely summarizes one specific topic.

An example of how this could be done is the lens sample photo archive. there are hundreds of threads, each with sample images from one specific lens, but there is a master index where lenses are grouped and ordered, with links that take you to the individual threads.

This could be done, but it requires quite a comitment from the list manager.
02-15-2012, 08:39 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I still think it all comes back to a single thread, managed by a forum member who goes through all the individual threads and systematically makes links to each thread or post that rather nicely summarizes one specific topic.

An example of how this could be done is the lens sample photo archive. there are hundreds of threads, each with sample images from one specific lens, but there is a master index where lenses are grouped and ordered, with links that take you to the individual threads.

This could be done, but it requires quite a comitment from the list manager.
I will gladly take this commitment! I'll go work on it later tonight.

Unless someone else with actual credentials like to step in

02-15-2012, 05:11 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There are several camera simulator websites that help you visualize the relationship between ISO, shutter speed, and f-stop.

The SimCam: Film and Digital Camera Simulator - Photonhead.com

Aperture, shutter and ISO value | SLR Camera Simulator

CameraSim simulates a digital SLR camera - SLR Photography Demystified

Tim