Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2012, 02:47 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Any good video "lessons" or guides for photography?

I've come to a point where I'm reasonably comfortable with my K-r, and am over my LBA, happy with the stuff I have and just want to learn to take better photos. I have found many guides and book recommendations and maybe it's a result of the modern internet attention span, but I would much rather watch videos (youtube etc) about things than read a drawn out article; video can show a lot more in less time than text takes to explain, and a good presenter can make it an enjoyable watch.

So can anyone recommend any? And I don't mean beginner courses. I understand aperture, shutter speed, DoF etc. I want to get better with lighting and composition, primarily. So are there useful video guides/lessons/pointers out there? Maybe some decent photographers just doing some vlog type stuff discussing these things.

It would be most helpful if there are such around people can point to.

02-18-2012, 03:18 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
While I don't have any video links at the moment, I can give you some advice that has worked for me

In order to improve your composition, pick out a prime lens, and shoot everything with it. It'll make you look for what really defines a photograph rather than documenting everything around you. For me, that lens is the 85mm.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-18-2012, 04:54 AM   #3

Original Poster
I usually keep a lens on my camera for a week or more at a time because I'm not keen on changing them due to dust, pet hair and just exposing the rear element. At the moment I have my 35mm 2.4 AL, which I will probably be shooting with for a while. I have a 90mm that I also use quite a lot, though not as much for "general" photography as I have to be some distance from my target unless doing macro or product shooting, which is most of what I do, but I want to get used to more generalised stuff.

I also need to learn how to handle light better as it seems to be the defining factor between good shots and throwaways. Though I have improved from a 95% discard rate to somewhere around 50% over the past six months. I have largely gotten the hang of the kind of shooting I do, but I would prefer to do things better still.
02-18-2012, 01:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
pick out a prime lens, and shoot everything with it. It'll make you look for what really defines a photograph rather than documenting everything around you
This is great advice... Even if you only have kit lens... Set kit lens at , say 35mm and leave it there for a week... No zooming (unless it's with your feet.)!

As for video tutorials... FontanaKnowledge on youtube, 13 easy to understand tutorials by My friend Robert Vasquez... Starts at the begining and helped me lots when I first got a camera... 'Shoot in Manual'!!
There's a lot of light painting tutorials by a young guy called PhotoExtremist ... He does some cool globe (wirewool) stuff and has some cool project ideas...
Generally, if you search youtube for something particular - You'll most likely find it - Upto you to decide if it's any good...

Not videos but a couple of good websites to search for: 'Cambridge in Colour' - Lots of tutorials on allsorts (inc, filter use etc) and 'DIY photography' - Lots of cool project ideas...

Hope this is of some use
Dave

02-18-2012, 01:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Oh... For lighting... If you can find a full copy of Zack Arias's 'Onelight' then I highly recomend it... I'm not saying you should use bit-torrent (and I never do!!) but it does work...
02-18-2012, 09:16 PM   #6

If you have a specific question about something, best bet is just do a youtube search/google video search.

Some great sources that I've found have been:

Digital Photography One on One - YouTube - Mark Wallace is a great teacher! Makes things realy simple. Theres also other stuff on AdoramaTV's youtube page.

JaredPolin's Channel - YouTube - The critique stuff he does is great, and even if you don't agree fully with his critiques there's always something to pick up.

Strobist - Ok ok it's not video, but it's such a good blog for flash related topics.

DigitalRevCom's Channel - YouTube - More of a review channel imo, still good though. The cheap camera challenge stuff they did was really fun:
02-18-2012, 09:24 PM   #7

Oh and how could I forget creativeLIVE | a live, worldwide creative classroom !

They set-up photography workshops with a range of different people covering various topics. It's usually in a 3 day format, over a friday/sat/sun. Next weekend it's a baby photography workshop with Sandy Puc - it's live on the 3 days. The best part, they stream it live for FREE! Also if you're in a different time-zone they do re-runs throughout the night of the previous days footage. The kicker is you can't download/save anything for free, but they offer all of the previous workshop's as paid-for downloads if you wish.

There's always something to pick up from these workshops even if you are not interested in the main subject - and they answer various question's from the chat room/twitter while they stream live. The Zack Arias lighting workshop from a few months back was brilliant!

02-18-2012, 09:45 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
EDIT, nevermind... see Tom linked him already.

snapfactory's Channel - YouTube
adoramaTV's Channel - YouTube

I want to get more into tutorial/teaching style videos for my Youtube channel, but haven't spent the time to write down a few easy topics to get started with.
02-20-2012, 05:38 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks for all the links. Still digging through them to see if any work for me. More replies than anticipated, so I have to take my time through it all!
02-23-2012, 05:48 AM   #10

Original Poster
After having time to process all of this, I've found AdoramaTV to be excellent. Many topics I have no particular interest in, but still plenty of material that should help me, and Mark Wallace seems to be a decent presenter so it's not painful to watch. Thanks again.
02-24-2012, 05:54 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I like Bryan Peterson's approach to teaching and have found two of his books very helpful. Here are some videos of him teaching:

12 Great Photography Video Tutorials by Bryan Peterson | Learn Photography Tips Blog

Bryan Peterson Tutorial ? Free Photography Video Tutorials | FreeDigitalPhotographyTutorials.com

Last edited by Docrwm; 02-24-2012 at 06:22 AM.
02-24-2012, 06:12 AM   #12
Veteran Member

As DaveHolmes said the Zach Arias' Dvd is cool..lighting with one flash, off camera...then the strobist Dvd and the seminars they have videotaped too!
It's about lighting but even if you're not completely into all the off camera flash there is some valuable info...and in the strobist one they cover how to arrange a cosy corner with natural light for great portrait fotography.
Understanding light is very important even if you're only doing available light...i find them to be a priceless resource.
03-09-2012, 08:48 AM   #13
Forum Member

I've got a quick photography tutorial in my web, with a section on shooting video:
Basic Photography Tutorial - www.similaar.com