Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2012, 06:19 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 39 vs 11 point autofocus may not be a big issue for you, but I've heard that Nikon's continuous autofocus is much more accurate and quick (esp the D7000). I haven't tried the k-5 (have the k20d) so I can't speak from experience. So, if action or movement factor significantly into your decision, you may want to investigate that,

02-26-2012, 07:13 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The only thing I have to add is that you'll be amazed how much better the K-5 is than the D90.

And the closest thing to an AE1 for Pentax is the Super Program, as has been mentioned. All of the other suggestions are much better (and much more expensive) cameras. The question I have, though, is why would you want an automatic film camera? Isn't the whole idea of shooting film to go back to the basics? You might as well shoot digital if you want the camera doing the work. I'd get a K1000 or Spotmatic if I were going to shoot film. As it is, my film bodies are just for show.
02-26-2012, 09:03 PM   #18
Pentaxian

IIRC the Pentaxs from the era of the AE-1 are the ME Super and the Super Program or Program Plus. Almost any of the MZ or Z series would make fine film cameras to use with the same lenses as the K5. I still shoot film because I like film not to get back to basis so it depends on what you want to use. The K series were fully manual , the M series smaller and some are autoexposure , the SF series autofocus as well but larger (use to have a SF1n) and the MZ series back to being smaller and autofocus. I have had the MZ5n since it was new probably late 90s and still use it for black and white film as I use a darkroom.

K5 is I believe 2 generations newer than the D90 (not up on my Nikons anymore) so one should expect improved performance in many aspects. One Disadvantage with Pentax is there are less lenses that you cannot afford available than with Nikon (or at least I cannot afford them).