Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2012, 10:54 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Getting a K-5- questions from D90 user

Hello everyone,

At the moment i use a Nikon D90 and a couple of lenses but not seriously invested in the brand. I keep looking on Ebay and Pentax stuff because of the compatability with old lenses as money is tight for me. I feel Nikon stuff i very expensive.

I own 3 Yongnuo YN560 flashes but my cheapo triggers have broken, so before i buy/sell anything i hoped somebody could tell me if the RF-603 triggers are Pentax compatable?

I'd really like a K-5 i think. Are there any short comings with this model?. From what i see it seems great apart from the 1/180s sync speed.

What are the Pentax-M lenses or M42 like with regards to focus confirm on the K5?

Last one, what film slr would you recommend similar to the Canon AE-1 or Minolta X-700 in Pentax?

Sorry for all the questions and if i've done something wrong i'll apologise, i'm not usually a forums user but I keep getting drawn in the Pentax world.

Regards,
Mike

02-18-2012, 11:04 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Yes you will get focus confirm on the K5 with any manual focus lens. As regards the film camera question I will leave that for the more knowledgable amongst the forum.
02-18-2012, 12:25 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-5 is a great camera- up there with the D7000 and a great value.

To answer your second question, I'd recommend a super program for its versatility: you can shoot in P, Tv, Av, or M.
Pentax Super A/Super Program - Manual Focus Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Database and Reviews - DSLR, Digital, and Legacy Cameras

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-18-2012, 12:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
In regards to your trigger question, take a look at this thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-flashes-lighting-technique/175895-triggers.html

02-18-2012, 01:12 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I think you can get Cactus V5 triggers for around the same price as the 603's (you said your's are broken?) so I would replace with these (Cactus V5)...
Faster sync would be nice but I've pretty much just gotten used to it being 1/180...
M-lenses won't be an issue (especially with the green button) and you will get a nice satisfying 'beep' to confirm focus... There is also the 'catch in focus' feature on Pentax dslr's which is often reffered to as the 'poor man's AF'...
All in... I think you'll find pentax a fairly exciting system and the K5 a worthy upgrade from the D90
02-18-2012, 11:41 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Nikon's backward compatibility seems reasonable (somebody on dpreview praised it highly not that long ago); I don't know if it's as good as Pentax's compatibility and I don't know how far it applies to the D90. Have you considered old Nikon glass as an option?

Please note that I don't want to chase you away from what a lot of people (including me) consider a brilliant camera. Just that if you have heavily invested in Nikon, it might be an expensive exercise. And look at the available lenses; if you have very specific needs, you might not be able to find it in the current Pentax line-up nor in 3rd party line-ups (although everything I need is available).

With regards to focus confirm, your best bet is probably to replace the matte screen. I get reasonable results with the standard matte screen on the K5 and the use of focus confirmation and/or catch-in-focus but I have Katzeye split prism screens in the K100D and K10D that make life a lot easier; there are other makes like focusingscreen.com. Those screens however might require 'calibration' (also known as shimming).
02-19-2012, 10:40 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MJA73 Quote
Sorry for all the questions and if i've done something wrong i'll apologise, i'm not usually a forums user but I keep getting drawn in the Pentax world.

Regards,
Mike

Yes Mike, you've done something very wrong! You've opened yourself to ridicule of the Nikon/Canon/Olympus users. That's OK though because we take care of our own.

And please become a forum user, even if not a forum poster. You'll learn a lot here. Most of us don't bite, and those that do have had their shots, so feel free to ask questions. As you see above, they get answered quickly. My use of the Pentax brand was inspired by my father over 50 years ago, and I still learn stuff here. As you discovered on your own, Pentax is great choice for legacy glass. Every piece of Pentax glass, even the old M42 mounts (screw on) can be used with adapters. And if you shop, you can find some great lenses for very affordable prices. Soon, you will develop a disease called LBA (Lens Buying Addiction). It's survivable however!
02-19-2012, 01:29 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

What are the Pentax-M lenses or M42 like with regards to focus confirm on the K5?
Afternoon Mike,

Manual focus confirmation works great, especially on a K5. As you focus, the little green hexagon lights up in the information line within the view finder, and a little red box flashed over the area of the viewfinder where the focus was achieved. Also, if you enable "catch in focus", it will take the image automagically for you....

All of this is also available on the older body models as well - K7, K20, K10 ..... and on back to the K100D (and probably older, but that I don't know for sure).

I have used it successfully on K, M and A lenses along with M42 lenses (along with FA and DA lenses as well). It even works wonderfully on lenses that I have modified the mounts on - e.g., Contax Carl Zeiss lenses.

02-19-2012, 01:48 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
Nikon's backward compatibility seems reasonable (somebody on dpreview praised it highly not that long ago); I don't know if it's as good as Pentax's compatibility and I don't know how far it applies to the D90. Have you considered old Nikon glass as an option?.
The D90 will not meter a MF lens that does not have a chip. For that you need a D7000 or D300.
02-19-2012, 09:47 PM   #10
Veteran Member

boriscleto, thanks for that
02-20-2012, 01:37 AM   #11
Veteran Member

No shortcomings really, except for the aforementioned 1/180s flash sync(Not really an issue in 99.99% of scenarios)

The older Pentax lenses(K/KA/M42+Adapater) all focus confirm fine, as far as I've seen.

In regards to film cameras, I'd go to one of the sub-forums suggested by other users and look around a bit.

Side Note: I'm with you on Nikon glass being a bit pricy.(Partly why I switched from Nikon to Pentax)
02-20-2012, 06:07 AM   #12
Site Supporter

I think, but I could be wrong, that Nikon does a better job of continuous focusing, so that would suggest it would be better for tracking motion.
02-20-2012, 06:16 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Regarding a Pentax film camera, I'd go for a MZ-L : it does 1/4000 and wireless P-TTL (so if you get a P-TTL flash somewhere in the future, you'll be all set)...
02-24-2012, 11:10 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I'd really like a K-5 i think. Are there any short comings with this model?
Warning this are just some opinions from a none K-5 user.

IMHO the K-5 Is an almost "complete" camera (In its level) and is arguably the best "Prossumer" camera in the market. And also is way "advance" than other pentax dslr on the market. It's pretty much like the d7000 but cheaper, with built-in SR, has awesome WR (You won't see a d7000 user shooting outside on a snow storm) awesome backward capabilities, awesome DR, and I won't say that the K-5's 11 focus point is it's "short coming" compared to the d7000's 39 points but that's just me. Like they say it depends what you need the camera for.

My M lenses on the K7 are spot-on via focus confirm, I 'm pretty sure the K5 will do much better.

No need to apologize and don't say sorry, I'm pretty sure "almost" all members here are matured enough and will not attack you. Also they're very helpful and friendly.
02-24-2012, 11:20 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Since no one has chimed in, if you a looking for a film body of similar capabilities to an AE 1, then look at a K2DMD. But these are not cheap, you can also look at an ME super but I find it too small a body.

If you really want a top notch film body, get a PZ1 or PZ1p. Does 1/8000 shutter and 1/250 flash sync. SupportsnTTL so you would need something like a AF540fTZ but watch out for full power flash, I think the 540 duration is a little longer than the old TTL AF500FTZ that was used on the PZ1

Edit note. You can also look at a Ricoh XR2s and I guess this is ok now that Ricoh owns pentax