Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2012, 07:57 AM   #1

Focus or camera shake?

Here's a section of a photo taken with my K-7 with Pentax-DA 16-50. The lens was zoomed to 50 mm. ISO 800. 1/10 sec shutter speed. f/5.6. Hand held from about 8 feet away. I noticed later that my remote trigger was enabled (which, I believe, disables the camera's shake-reduction). I used spot focus with the lock on her eye.

Notice the blurryness in the eyeglass frame and around her mouth.

My question is whether this burryness is from camera shake or mis-focus.

Attached Images

02-19-2012, 08:08 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I would say camera shake, the rule of thumb is to never use a shutter speed slower than the focal length. So you shot at 50mm you should not really go below 1/60th of a second. Your shutter speed was just to slow and if SR was off this will not have helped.
02-19-2012, 08:10 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
At 1/10th of a second...it's camera shake. That's very slow to hand-hold (even with SR) without really paying attention to what you're doing. But the clue is in the eyeglasses. There's a double image to the frame. That tells me that the camera moved. If it were a focus issue, there would be general blur, but no double image or streaking.
02-19-2012, 08:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member

By opening up to f4 you could of had a shutter of 1/20 and by raising the ISO again you could of further increased speed of the shutter by a stop...

But yeah is camera shake (or to be more precise: handshake...)

02-19-2012, 09:55 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Probably camera shake, but also consider that in 1/10th of a second your subject could also have moved slightly. Even a blink would have been enough to move her a little. So at that speed you might still have the blur even if you were on a tripod. It is very difficult to shoot live subjects at that slow a speed.
02-19-2012, 10:38 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll join in the "camera shake" chorus here. It could possibly be that your subject moved suddenly, but at 1/10/sec, I'm betting it's camera shake. As someone else stated, open up your aperture a bit or bump up iso to speed up your shutter. Or use flash.

Last edited by paulh; 02-19-2012 at 03:19 PM.
02-19-2012, 01:18 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Remote trigger doesn't disable SR unless you use the remote, and then I believe only with the 3-second delay (mirror lock-up) setting.

Agree with the above comments that this is primarily or exclusively camera shake. SR works well, but within limits. However, with this sample it's impossible to say if the focus is correct, so you might want to do a controlled AF test to confirm that you don't have front- or back-focus issues with this lens, and do a fine focus adjustment if necessary.
02-19-2012, 01:23 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Shake or subject movement or both -- doesn't look OOF.

02-19-2012, 02:29 PM   #9
dms
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Camera or subject motion--and generally from the edges that show no smearing/doube image--you can see what direction the motion was in. Notice the one diagonal tooth boundary (about 45 degree from vertical) is sharp--so likely about 45 degree motion.
02-20-2012, 03:24 AM   #10

Photos: Albums
I would also say camera shake:

Notice the "pointy" reflections in the eyu. They all have a diagonal motion (at about 60 degrees from up-right to down left). The similar "trace" is also visible on the reflection of the tooth. Moreover it seems that the camera spent a bit longer time at the begining (or end) of the motion since the reflections are a bit exagregated at the ends and you can almost see a double image on a horisontal hair straw just to the right of glasses. If the blurr was induced by the movement of the model than the hair should give somewhat different movement signature than the rest of photo.