Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2012, 09:10 AM   #1

How to resize photos?

Thought about posting a pic or two to the World Pentax Day but couldn't figure out how to re-size the photos to
get them down to the 1mb requirement.
All of mine say they're in the 5MB area, some a little less, some a bit more.
See some photos on here that are crisp and clear with ALOT less MB and pixel size.
mine are 4288 x 2848 and most are just a bit out of focus...90% of them I'd say.
Pentax Kr.
Pentax 18-135 zoom.
Settings are at jpeg, 3star for optimum quality.
The only ones that are clear are closeup/macro pics.
Anyway, need to know how to resize to a smaller MB for uploading...
thanks!

02-19-2012, 09:19 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
What program are you using for processing? I use Photoshop Elements 8.
02-19-2012, 09:24 AM   #3

Original Poster
Using iMac with iPhoto. Guess I should have put that in my posting.
Perhaps I need a different photo processing program?
02-19-2012, 09:33 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Most image editting software program will allow image resizing. Do you have anything in this catagory?

If you are not currently using anything for post processing or editing, and you use windows, then why not try Faststone Resizer as a start. It is Freeware and should get you going. You can download at Download FastStone Photo Resizer.

Alternatively, you can look at a large array of other commercial photo editting software all of which will resize as required.

EDIT: Oops just seen your reply. Not familiar with mac options.

02-19-2012, 09:44 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Save the image at "medium" quality settings instead of "maximum, and resize at around 1000 pixels on the longest side.
02-19-2012, 09:56 AM   #6
Inactive Account

I'm pretty sure that iPhoto has the ability to resize but I can't direct you (not a mac person). If there's a help file, I'm sure it can direct you quickly.
Good Luck.
02-19-2012, 09:59 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Hi there,

you can easily do this in the preview app: tools -> resize
02-19-2012, 10:16 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Resizing an image to a smaller size is easy (the other way, making it bigger is more of a challenge).

Every image processing software has an option to change the size of the image. Just look at the menus or the help section. Typically you will find 3 options for algorithms to be used. Nearest neighbor, lineal interpolation and bi-cubic convolution. The actual names of these options may be slightly different in your software but essentially you get 3 levels of quality vs speed in the re-sampling process. Make sure you use bi-cubic for best results.

Once the image has been resized, you should apply a bit of sharpening to bring back some of the details lost in the process.

02-19-2012, 10:27 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks for all the help. I will tackle it again and let you know how it goes...
02-19-2012, 01:46 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Paint . net is free with a easy to use resize tool.
02-19-2012, 03:57 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Note the important thing is to reduce the number of oixels - that way it will fit on a computer screen without resizing. Pictures directly from a camera are gogantic - many times larger than your screen. IPhoto is resizing them for you every time you view one, u less you specifically to see it at fill size or 100% or whatever they call it. So first order of business is to get smaller in terms of number of pixels. As mentioned, 1000 pixels wide is a decent number (still kind of big for some screens). Once you've got it resized to a more appropriate pixel count, the actual file size should pretty much take care of itself unless maybe you save at the very highest possible JPEG quality setting.
02-19-2012, 04:56 PM   #12

Original Poster
iPhoto doesn't ask me what size I want to save the photos at. (perhaps I need to check, but I don't believe it does).
I just insert the sd card into the computer and it auto-transfers them into iPhoto.
IPhoto does have a pretty descent photo editing application, just nothing to downsize them, unless I email
them, then I have a choice of small, med, or large.
02-19-2012, 05:20 PM   #13
Site Supporter

From messing with my dads imac, I don't think iPhoto and apature will let you resize a photo without exporting to a different software and then importing it back in at the different size.

But I'm no expert with mac computers.

My suggestion is to use one of the free photo editers or if you can afford it, buy PS elemints, Photoplus or Paintshop pro.
02-19-2012, 05:29 PM   #14

Original Poster
Yes, I believe you're right as I've never found anything on it except the basic editing. Thanx to all
of you for your great responses.
02-19-2012, 06:10 PM   #15

Never used iPhoto, google is your friend :P

"... iPhoto to resize images. Select File > Export."

Taken from How To Resize Images Using iPhoto [Mac]