Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2012, 09:22 AM   #1
Forum Member

K-X Repair Question

I replaced the focus screen in my K-X awhile back. It's been working fine - until yesterday.

While using the camera, the metal tray that holds the focus screen must have become unlatched, because the screen and metal shim fell out of it, into the body's interior.

Of course I was not at home when this happened. When I got home and tried to return the screen to the tray, the tray was locked in position (?) and I had a very hard time releasing it. Now, I cannot get the tray to lock when I have the screen inserted.

I think I must have screwed up the tray and its locking mechanism.

Can the tray be replaced? I've never had a camera repaired, so I'm not sure where to begin.

I live in Houston, Texas, and may be able to find a local repair shop. Or should I send it to Pentax???

Thanks,

Sandra

02-19-2012, 12:25 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For what it is worth, take a deep breath, set the camera aside and come back in a bit. Take a long slow look at things, and make sure everything is as it should be. Study it carefully, why doesn't it latch? Is something bent? Is the shim miss-aligned? Use a flash light and a magnifying glass to make sure you can see everything.

If you cannot get it to work I would think a local shop could make it right as long as no parts are needed. If you need parts I think it is best to send it to Pentax as there are not a lot of authorized Pentax repair sops around anymore. I'm lucky to have one fairly close to me though I've never needed it.
02-19-2012, 01:34 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks, jatrax. Yes, it is quite nerve racking when you're in the middle of it, trying to get the screen in, the shim in, etc., etc. Yikes! I think I'm way in over my head. I am going to try a local shop on Tues., and also give Pentax a call.

Thanks!