Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2012, 10:43 AM   #1

Considering a K-X…several questions

We’ve been toying around with the idea of a DSLR for a while. We’ve been through various P&S and Bridge cameras, and they all have left us wanting for various reasons (primarily shutter lag and slow AF). But I’ve always been hesitant as to whether we’re ready to make the jump to a DSLR. I have no doubt that I would take the time to learn and make use of at least some of the camera’s capabilities. But my wife is a technophobe and would probably use it in Auto-Mode the majority of the time – at least until I learn enough to slowly teach her myself.

So I guess my first question is, should we really make the jump to a DSLR? We have five children and would primarily use it for portrait and action/sports shooting (football, soccer, kart-racing, etc.). Again, this is where all the non-DSLRs seem to fall short. Any other non-DSLR options I should be considering?

I’ve researched entry-level DSLRs for a while and really like the value of the K-x (though we're also considering the T2i as well). Also, my father has quite a few nice older Pentax primes that I could use - which is another selling point. Obviously, I’m looking mostly at used options for a K-x at this point. So is there anything particular I should look out for in a used K-x (other than # of actuations)?

Lastly, should I consider one of the telephoto kits up front? I’ve seen kits with the 50-200 going for around $550 and kits with the 55-300 going for around $650. Does this seem like a good value? I’ve read the 55-300 is quite a good lens.

Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks.

02-20-2012, 11:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I feel that you would do well with a choice of the KX. The KX is not overly complicated and certainly produces great quality shots. Once you give it a trial I am sure you will be hooked. And then follows the ability to add a lens or 2 or 5 or 15

Personally I suggest go for it, you will be very pleasantly surprised (why didn't I do this before???)
02-20-2012, 01:06 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would go with the 55-300mm over the 50-200. It delivers better IQ (interestingly) and will give you more reach. Your choice to go with the K-x is a good one, though you might also want to consider a K-r if you want the faster FPS.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-20-2012, 01:38 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
wondering , has it been determined which are the best batteries to use in the k-x ? are the new sanyo eneloops as good , better or worse than the older variety ? or are another brand of nimh best? or lithium batteries ? also the autofocus system on the k-x is slightly different than the k-r, which of the two autofocus systems seems better ? thanks.

02-20-2012, 03:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I shoot K-x and love it...

However due to the lack of visible focus indicators in the viewfinder I would sugest you go for a K-r if possible... This will make (quick) focusing on kids and sports much easier in my opinion...
02-20-2012, 03:37 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dh4412 Quote
wondering , has it been determined which are the best batteries to use in the k-x ? are the new sanyo eneloops as good , better or worse than the older variety ?
I use regular Sanyo Eneloops (currently have 6 sets) in my K-x and flashes (2) and honestly wouldn't use anything else... Even my cactus flash triggers now use AAA-Eneloops
02-20-2012, 04:23 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

1. The main downside to an SLR is the larger size, which many casual shooters don't like. Also the idea of holding the camera up to the eye to use a viewfinder.

2. Just get Eneloops. They rock.

02-20-2012, 05:08 PM   #8

i've read though, with the k-x if you use the center of the frame to focus and recompose then the indicators not being there is no problem , a lot of people use the center focus point most of the time anyway. not sure how that works for moving subjects as i don't do a lot of that kind of shooting.

and the eneloops sound good, no problems with them then in the k-x, then it sounds like; anyone have any experience with the newer eneloops ?
02-20-2012, 07:41 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses everyone. A couple of you mentioned the K-R, which I was leaning towards until I read about the tungsten light front-focus issue. I didn't mention above, but we also take a lot of indoor shots so this kind of scared me off of the K-r. I guess I need to read up on it more, but I assume this has not yet been resolved.

Once again, thanks for all your responses. I'm going to try to grab a kit with the 55-300 lens.
02-20-2012, 08:35 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
I shoot K-x and love it...

However due to the lack of visible focus indicators in the viewfinder I would sugest you go for a K-r if possible... This will make (quick) focusing on kids and sports much easier in my opinion...
This IMHO is the camera's only flaw. Other than that the K-x is a freakin perfect little wonder DSLR I think. But having a better focus screen helps a lot too. You could go that route, but yeah the K-r is just as viable a choice. You can get one now for about what a K-x went for. With kids it's probably the logical choice to go one higher. But I still think my K-x truly rocks and so does everyone I meet when I am shooting with it. The K-r is an upgrade technically but to me it's the K-x's not quite so cool step-sibling, laugh.
02-21-2012, 04:51 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Talking about focusing, another significant flaw of the K-x, being an entry-level model, is that you cannot adjust focus for your lenses. There is an annoying way to access some of this functionality through a hack, but it's only one lens at a time. That alone is reason enough to get something else, IMO.

Also, I much prefer a camera with two control dials for ease-of-use.

Given these deficiencies, I prefer to spend the money on an older model, say a K20D. But if you want video etc. that won't work.

(K-x is a good camera for the price, but since we are starting to find flaws...)
02-21-2012, 06:00 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I use two K-x bodies & I love 'em. They're fast, intuitive, they have great ergonomics, and most importantly, the image quality is excellent even at high ISOs. Focusing without viewfinder indicators isn't a problem if you use center focusing.

If you're making the jump to a DSLR, the K-x would be a great choice, IMO.

Cheers,
Bobbo :-)