Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2012, 10:10 PM   #1

Good on camera, dark on editing software

When I look at the pictures on the back of the camera, they look good, light wise. When I import them to lightroom or photoshop, they are much darker than the camera. In lightroom, you can see them on the bottom go from what the camera looks like to much darker until they're all dark. I changed the brightness level in the menu to +7, as high as it will go, but that didn't change anything. It doesn't matter which lens I have on the camera, either. Any ideas/help?

02-20-2012, 10:16 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you looked at the histogram (graph thingy) on the camera? Also, have you enabled the "show bright/dark areas" option?

Those two combined should let you determine whether or not a photo is properly exposed. The histogram should be evenly distributed, and no parts of your photo should be flashing yellow (underexposed) or red (overexposed) if your photo is properly exposed.

If you check and that's indeed the case, then chances are that your PC monitor needs calibration

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-20-2012, 10:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Don't use the "brightness" setting to change how bright your pictures are, use the "EV" setting instead (which affect exposure, not JPEG rendering).
02-20-2012, 10:23 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Change the LCD brightness down. It is too bright and fooling your eye.

02-20-2012, 10:43 PM   #5

Original Poster
I had not even thought to check the histogram! thank you!!!
02-20-2012, 10:54 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As noted the LCD on the camera is not a reliable indicator, use the histogram instead. Also, you might want to make sure your monitor is calibrated. If the monitor is not accurate it will not reflect the actual brightness of the image. Check the histogram in Lightroom as a quick test. Adjust the image so that it covers the complete scale dark to bright. It should look good on the monitor. If not the monitor should be calibrated both for color and brightness.
02-21-2012, 08:46 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Also, are these JPEG or RAW? If RAW, it's normal that different programs will render it differently, and if you are using artifical dynamic range enhancing modes on your camera (which are implemented by deliberately underexposing then fiddling with the image in the camera's JPEG processing), then third party software might not be able to mimic that type of processing. So you will just see the underexposed pocture the camera actually took, not the artifically brightened picture the camera's JPEG engine is showing you on the LCD.