Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2012, 10:01 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Question on Generic Items

Hello,

I hope that this is the right place to post this. I have just bought my second Pentax body, a K-7 (I already own a K20D) and I was looking for a battery grip on ebay. I came across this item: eBay | BATTERY GRIP FOR PENTAX K-7 K7 D-BG4 + 4X D-LI90 DLI90

I was wondering wether these generic items are actually any good and wether using them involves any risk for the camera.

Thanks a lot for the feedback.

Cheers

02-22-2012, 10:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

While I don't own one for my K20d, from what I've read here on the forum it seems like many folks like the generic ones. The main drawbacks I can remember reading about were that it didn't "feel as sturdy" as the OEM one - with things like the markings on/around the buttons wearing off - and most importantly, the fact that most/all of the 3rd party ones aren't weather-sealed.
So, if you're taking advantage of the weather sealing on the body/lenses by shooting in adverse conditions the 3rd party one would be a "weak link" in that regard. If you never take advantage of that feature of the body & lens - so weather sealing isn't a requirement, then it seems many folks are happy with the 3rd party ones.

Hope that helps.....

Tim
02-22-2012, 12:16 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I agree but also will add that generic batteries are hit or miss. You are getting 4 so my guess is that maybe 2 of them will last more than a few months. There is nothing wrong with non-oem batteries as long as they are good, but finding the good ones is hard. The only danger to you/your equipment is a higher (but still very very low) risk of fire from the batteries
02-22-2012, 12:45 PM   #4
Veteran Member

There are several threads already on this topic with some analysis of the different generic grips available. The reviews DO indicate some significant differences, so which one you pick does seem to make a difference. That said they also ALL indicate that none of the generic grips actually have any weather sealing NO MATTER what they claim in the ads or pictures. I read so many problems that I waited to find a gently used B-DG4 from Pentax and have been very happy with it. I became even happier last week on vacation at the beach because of on and off rain throughout my stay - the Genuine Pentax grip meant I didn't have to worry at all. Good luck.

02-22-2012, 03:13 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you everybody for the input. I will purchase this particular one and see what it is worth until I find an OEM one.
02-22-2012, 03:21 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Someone made a comment on a similar thread the other day that (based strictly on price) you could buy 3 or 4 Generic grips for the price of one original grip. The intention of the comment was that the generic ones should be considered as disposable. I've got a K10D with official grip that I bought in early 2007. They are going strong so far (knocks on wooden head). I have Pentax branded batteries in the camera and the grip and one generic spare in my bag. The spare hardly ever gets used and I'm not having battery problems at all either (knocks on head again).
02-23-2012, 07:01 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I bought the third party grip for my K5 and used it for about a year and a half. Toward the end, it was showing freshly charged batteries as depleted. After throwing away a few batteries I decided to experiment and took the grip off, took a battery that showed depleted in the grip and placed it in the K5 body where it showed fully charged. I threw the grip away and ordered the Pentax grip which works perfectly. I also have a Pentax grip for my K20D which has never shown any problems in 3 1/2 years of use. The previous poster who said
QuoteOriginally posted by calicojack Quote
the generic ones should be considered as disposable.
was absolutely correct.
02-24-2012, 07:00 AM   #8

Photos: Albums
I have one generic grip and being using it for almost 2 years.

I had some problems with that

1. Bateries shown depleeted.
2. The camera woudln't focus but it would trig the shutter from the grip
3. The camera would focus, but would not trig the shutter

All there problems where solved (literarly) by cleaning contacts between the grip and the body. Use som isopropyl alcholol and rub the contact gently to remove all possible dirt. Then it works.

Cosmetically some of the text markings (white text on the buttons and so) have dissapeard over time due to some use. On the other hand my K-7 looks like new with virtually no signs of wear.

Regarding the weathersealing, I am aware that it is not weather sealed. If I want to take photos in rain or when it is snowing (and it happened few times) I just remove the grip and put my DA 18-55 WR kit lens (the only one with weather sealed I own) and shoot.

I guess I was lucky with batteries, since I use one Pentax original and one (of two) provided with the grip. I charge one of them when it is depleeted and use the other untill that one is depleeted. Thus far I didn't notice any difference in capacity between them.

02-24-2012, 11:23 PM   #9
Forum Member

I have two generic batteries for the K-5 and one doesn't really fit the charger and therefore take a charge (a mega cheapie from China) and another that was approx half the price of the branded Pentax battery that is as good as the battery that came with the camera (still originated in China). So like a previous poster said - very hit and miss.
02-25-2012, 02:09 AM   #10

Original Poster
OK, I ordered the one I mentioned in the post and test it. I will post a review after some extensive tryout. Cheers.