Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2012, 09:50 PM   #16
Veteran Member

It's a standard question, and here's my standard answer: My minimal travel kit contains the K20D, AF360, DA10-17, Tamron 10-24, DA18-250, FA50/1.4, and Raynox DCR-250. I've been traveling for a week now (including a few days in Las Vegas) and those all saw major use (except the flash). The DA18-250 superzoom is my basic lens, especially for travel; all my 230-odd other lenses are specialty items. I flesh-out that minimal kit with Vivitar 24/2 and/or 28/2, Nikkor 85/2 (modded for PK), Takumar 135/2.5, and Sakar 500/8 mirror. My little F35-70 will surely see some use too.

So my recommendations are: Ultrawide and superzoom for coverage, fast glass for speed, a long mirror for reach (I use mine more in towns that out in the countryside), and macro capability. These have worked for me in spaces large and small.

03-02-2012, 01:35 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The landscapes are spectacular there, but you might need to zoom in on horses, sheep, puffins, and the like, as emalvick said. There is often much use of primary colors in the villages and city. You will find it difficult to take a "bad" picture there. Look up photos from Iceland Eyes ( Iceland Eyes) for some ideas of things you might see.
03-02-2012, 01:40 PM   #18
Site Supporter

One more thing. Check out Rajan Parrikar's Iceland photos. You will find them here, Photography by Rajan Parrikar (Goa, Iceland, California, India)
He is a Canon user, but I forgive him.
03-02-2012, 02:23 PM   #19
Pentaxian

I'm preparing for a trip soon and am facing the same issues although I own a good collection of glass so I'm not buying or renting anything. We're flying this time so that's the reason for making choices. If I was driving, I would bring anything I thought I may need. The 18-55 kit lens is coming along. It's a good lens for general purpose shooting. The DA 15 and DA 40 for sure. Probably the Sigma 70-300 because it's light and also has a macro mode. I may have the chance for some wildlife shooting but that's only a possibility. My M300/4 is a big heavy piece of glass so it's staying home even though it's much sharper. Trips are always a compromise. I'm still undecided about the 10-17 fisheye but it will probably end up in the bag. Probably a flash too.