Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2012, 07:35 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lens Stuck Wide Open on K-5 - Can't Get to a Higher Aperture

Thanks so much, everyone!

Turns out the problem was that I didn't screw the screws in tight enough... haha. So glad it wasn't serious.

Last edited by Julie; 03-05-2012 at 07:29 PM.
02-25-2012, 07:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Are all the little balls that touch the lens mount in their proper places and not accidentally pushed down below the surface of the lens mount on the camera?

I have one lens that won't stop down on my K-5, it seems like one of the balls doesn't make proper contact with the lens and therefore doesn't get grounded although all my other lenses work fine in all modes.

I believe you can try shorting all the balls to the camera lens mount with a bit of wire or metal tape and see if the camera then thinks things are correct.
02-25-2012, 07:49 PM   #3
Site Supporter

You are a lot braver than I am!

It sounds like when you took the mount off some of the electrical contact pins became disconnected. Take a good look at them and see if any are not sticking out as far as the others. On my K-5 (from the bottom) the first is gold, the next three are silver, the next one is a little different flatter maybe and the last two are silver again. If you run your finger over them they should dip slightly as you pass since they are spring loaded underneath.

You might try cleaning the contacts before you take it apart again but I am guessing one or more of the pins is either disconnected or miss-aligned.
02-25-2012, 10:05 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtansley Quote
I have one lens that won't stop down on my K-5, it seems like one of the balls doesn't make proper contact with the lens and therefore doesn't get grounded although all my other lenses work fine in all modes.
That one "ball" would be the "A" contact. It normally retracts when the aperture ring is off the "A" setting and is responsible to letting the body know that an "A" contact lens is mounted.

Steve