Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2012, 10:28 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Fixed Value Sensitivity in K-r

When my K-r came back from repair, the Sensitivity default setting was changed and I can't figure out how to get it back. It has stumped my go-to Henry's guy too.

When I press the ISO button in the four-way controller, the senstivitiy is ALWAYS in the AUTO setting [which the manual says is the default setting].
Is there a way I can change the default to the FIXED VALUE setting?

02-26-2012, 10:58 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is the camera in auto pict mode? If so, you need to put it in P in order to unlock manual ISO.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-26-2012, 12:27 PM   #3

Original Poster
Oh, sorry....I forgot to mention that I shoot in AV.
And even if I am in P mode, I am still in Auto. I can't even find a default option to change!!!

Last edited by Panache; 02-26-2012 at 07:30 PM.
02-26-2012, 10:08 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Are you sure the ISO is actually in auto? An ISO auto range will always be shown on the rear LCD info screen regardless of whether or not you are actually in auto ISO mode, which is quite deceptive. As soon as you manually dial in an ISO value, though, your camera should snap out of auto mode.

This can be verified quite easily- if you don't see "ISO auto" in the viewfinder, then you're not in auto ISO mode. Similarly, the same ISO value should be used in all photos if you take a few test snaps in differing lighting conditions.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-26-2012, 11:39 PM   #5

Um, not quite sure I understand correctly, but try going into Av, then pressing 'right' for iso, then pressing 'down' to go to fixed iso, the left/right to change etc

You should see two boxes on the iso selection screen in AV, top one will be highlighted for you as it is at the moment, the bottom greyed out, just up/down will switch between
02-27-2012, 11:33 AM   #6

Original Poster
Tom, yes... that is exactly what happens. The top box is highlighted when I turn on my camera [see below]. I want the BOTTOM box to be highlighted when I turn on my camera. I am SURE that before my camera went in for repair this was so.

I find that if I forget to scroll down to choose the ISO I want, I end up with ISOs in a higher range than I want. I apologize if I'm not making myself clear. My main question is if I CAN set the default so that the ISO STARTS on the bottom button.

Adam... I'm not sure what you mean by "if you don't see "ISO auto" in the viewfinder, then you're not in auto ISO mode. Similarly, the same ISO value should be used in all photos if you take a few test snaps in differing lighting conditions."

[I hope I attached the photo correctly]

THANK YOU!!!

02-27-2012, 11:36 AM   #7

Original Poster
Further, I do understand that I can change the values in the Auto setting....but I want to do away with that extra step of having to push the ISO button at all. Does that make sense?
02-27-2012, 11:52 AM   #8

On that "Sensitivity screen", just press the "down" button on the four way selector, and then hit ok. That should cause it to be fixed at a single ISO of your choice. Or even if you do that, is it defaulting to auto everytime you turn the camera on ... in which case, im stumped. You could always try a factory reset - in the menu option, on the page that has the battery settings, there is also "reset" option, which will set all the options to how they were when you first got the camera.

02-27-2012, 01:26 PM   #9

Original Poster
Yes it was defaulting to Auto every time I turned on the camera.

Thanks for the input, but I FIGURED IT OUT!! I asked a Facebook friend with a similar camera! It's all in the Menu settings.

Menu > Rec mode 4 > Memory > check the Sensitivity box!!

YAY!!!!