Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2012, 06:19 AM   #1

Off Camera Flash Cable - Rear Curtain Sync Problem

I've just received my Metz 50 AF-1 flash that I planned on using off-camera via a cable with my Pentax K-5. I set the settings on the flash to rear curtain sync and also on the camera - On camera the rear curtain sync works perfectly. Off camera using the cable it fires on the first curtain only, I'm using a Jessops TTL cable for a Nikon but the connectors are the same as Pentax. I'm just baffled as to why it wouldn't work with this TTL cable the connectors are exactly the same, maybe the flash needs to be attached to the camera for some reason, or maybe it's the TTL cable?

02-27-2012, 08:23 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
If the flash mounted on the shoe works fine in rear curtain sync, but doesn't when connected to the cable, it means the cable isn't communicating properly with the flash. If the cable were comunicating all the P-TTL and sync info, as far as the flash is concerned it would believe it's mounted directly to the hotshoe on the camera. When changing modes in the flash, does it show TTL or does it show P-TTL?
02-27-2012, 08:36 AM   #3

Original Poster
In both manual and TTL mode the flash fires first curtain, like you said if the connectors are the same the flash should think it's mounted on-camera regardless of the cable but that just dosen't seem to be the case. I wonder if it has something to do with the Nikon TTL cable, but I doubt it?
02-27-2012, 09:00 AM   #4

Even if the contacts look the same it appears that the cable is not comunicating the info correctly, but you did not answer my question. When you place the flash in TTL mode, does it just show TTL or does it display confirmation that it is in P-TTL mode? If it is not in P-TTL then the cable is most definately not comunicating properly between the body and the flash unit.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Last edited by jase036; 02-27-2012 at 09:11 AM.
02-27-2012, 09:14 AM   #5

Original Poster
Ah thank you for the pictures, I see now. When the flash is mounted on the camera it displays P-TTL and when on the TTL cord it only displays TTL so the cable must not work the the camera - flash combo. Do you know if their is such a TTL cable that will allow the P-TTL to work correctly whilst off camera?
02-27-2012, 09:28 AM   #6

Sure, there are Pentax brand P-TTL sync cords as well as third-party options, a quick search on Adorama turned these up
Adorama Pentax TTL accesories
If you are going to buy something from Adorama, you can follow this link and then search for "Pentax TTL Connecting Accessories" this will help support the forums (read here for more info on that)
Stay away from cables that offer mutliple brand TTL sync, it's a hit and miss type of thing, you're better off getting one that is dedicated only to Pentax (even if it is a third-party cable).
02-27-2012, 09:45 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks a lot for your help man! I'm from the UK so I'll try a few of the camera shops around here to find a cable were all the P-TTL info gets sent from camera to flash.
02-27-2012, 09:55 AM   #8

You are welcome friend! Didn't know you're from the UK, in that case you can find some on Amazon UK or just visit your local stores.
Good luck and happy shooting!