Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-29-2012, 03:43 AM   #1

K-X shuts off after shutter closes. Loose part?

Hi,

I recently started having trouble with my K-X. For a few months (I've been traveling and haven't been able to get to the root of the problem) the camera has had some trouble starting up. I assumed it was a loose connection somewhere because it would turn on after a little (gentle) shaking or tapping. This wasn't a huge issue.

Today, when I tried to take a picture, I felt a strange movement inside the camera when the shutter closed. The best I can describe it is like a piece shifting or tiny gyroscope turning-- nothing jerky, just a subtle motion that had never been there before. When I checked, the camera had shut off, and needed to be tapped/ shaken to turn back on. The photo hadn't been stored in the memory card. Subsequent attempts in different orientations with varying shutter speeds yielded the same result. In Live View the camera shut off after the shutter closed and LV stopped, meaning that it wasn't a matter of the camera being unable to store the photo.

From the little I know about the inner workings of cameras, I'd say it seems to be a loose part that is moved(?) pushed aside(?) by the closing shutter or some related part.

The main thing I'm looking for (maybe it's too much to ask) would be someone with enough knowledge to tell me how to fix this problem on my own, with no specific tools or expertise.

Failing that, does anyone know a good camera place in Kathmandu?

02-29-2012, 01:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by d150 Quote
it would turn on after a little (gentle) shaking or tapping. This wasn't a huge issue.
That would be (to me) a huge issue. Any high tech equipment shouldn't require any tapping or shaking to turn on. There us definitely an intermittent contact somewhere. The camera could be turning on/off during a shot because the vibration from the mirror slap is strong enough to affect the intermittent connection.
Today, when I tried to take a picture, I felt a strange movement inside the camera when the shutter closed. The best I can describe it is like a piece shifting or tiny gyroscope turning-- nothing jerky, just a subtle motion that had never been there before.
This may be the in body SR you're noticing, I'm guessing.
From the little I know about the inner workings of cameras, I'd say it seems to be a loose part that is moved(?) pushed aside(?) by the closing shutter or some related part.
The main thing I'm looking for (maybe it's too much to ask) would be someone with enough knowledge to tell me how to fix this problem on my own, with no specific tools or expertise.
I wouldn't even try as you may end up aggravating a simple problem.

First I would check is the battery door. Perhaps the pins have gotten bent somehow and are having intermittent contact with the batteries. I would check the inner pins as well.

Cheers!