Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2012, 02:41 PM   #1
Site Supporter

"Halo" around objects in photos after B&W PP

Hi All,

I have fairly recently started processing from RAW using LR 3.5 and sometimes Silver Efex/Color Efex

In a few of the B&W shots I processed first in LR then did B&W conversion and some tweaks in Nik Silver Efex Pro

I am pretty sure the haloing (lighter edges around subjects) comes from something Ive done in Silver Efex

Can anyone help me identify what might be causing this and any steps to avoid it?

Thanks!

These two show it pretty well:

03-01-2012, 02:50 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's the same sort of glow you see in tonemapped (HDR) images. I don't know what goes on in Silver Efex Pro, but lots of the output I see looks pretty much like tonemapping, even if they may call it something else. Try less of whatever contrast adjustments you made and see if you can reduce the glow to the point it isn't distracting. Or just do a straight B&W conversion and then do the contrast adjustment in Photoshop or equivalent software. With a clear sky and smooth edges as you have here, the masking should be straightforward.
03-01-2012, 03:09 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I believe that any software that boosts micro contrast will halo if pushed far enough.
I sometimes see haloing in the real world with only my eyes.
03-01-2012, 03:57 PM   #4
Pentaxian

In lightroom the 'clarity' slider can cause something like that. What does the original coloured photo look like?

03-01-2012, 04:37 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the help guys

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
It's the same sort of glow you see in tonemapped (HDR) images. I don't know what goes on in Silver Efex Pro, but lots of the output I see looks pretty much like tonemapping, even if they may call it something else. Try less of whatever contrast adjustments you made and see if you can reduce the glow to the point it isn't distracting. Or just do a straight B&W conversion and then do the contrast adjustment in Photoshop or equivalent software. With a clear sky and smooth edges as you have here, the masking should be straightforward.
Someone in another thread asked me if I used HDR for these, I am thinking it is whatever I am doing in silver efex, could have been the contrast adjustment..Ill try to look out for this next time

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
In lightroom the 'clarity' slider can cause something like that. What does the original coloured photo look like?
The orig coloured photos after LR processing look fine, no halo/glow from there I would have taken the photo into Silver Efex after, used a preset and made a few tweaks.

The clarity value is 55-65 ish on almost all my photos, but I have only seen halos in B&W. I am pretty new to RAW PP in LR, is this "a lot" of clarity?

Last edited by Deimos; 03-01-2012 at 04:46 PM.
03-01-2012, 04:49 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I just took one of the LR processed colour files into SIlver Efex and went through a few of the presets, the halos indeed appeared after contrast was boosted

At least I know where this is coming from now

Thanks!
03-06-2012, 05:54 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Just an odd hunch here but what about color blooming or longitudinal CA?

I would bet o. Longitudinal CA where you have a light green fringe in the behind the plane of focus, and this is showing up as lighter than the sky when converting to B&W. Try reducing the green level in a mask layer before the B&W conversion
03-06-2012, 09:44 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Just an odd hunch here but what about color blooming or longitudinal CA?

I would bet o. Longitudinal CA where you have a light green fringe in the behind the plane of focus, and this is showing up as lighter than the sky when converting to B&W. Try reducing the green level in a mask layer before the B&W conversion
Interesting I will try

03-06-2012, 09:57 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I find the "soft contrast" slider in Silver Efex creates halo's like these, check wheather you've pushed it to either extreme...
03-07-2012, 06:48 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you want to fix them after processing, here is a great tutorial.

Sharpening Halos And How To Hide Them - Tutorials

Tim